Uh oh nutnfancy spreading misinformation...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bill1170

Re: Uh oh nutnfancy spreading misinformation...

Post by Bill1170 »

(Edited to add that I was replying to the photos of the Catcherman with what appears to be pitting under the black coating, on page 4 of this thread before things devolved into unpleasantness. After posting I saw that the coating may be TiCN instead of DLC. My points below still apply, so I haven't edited those.)

The black coating on that Catcherman is DLC, correct? The C stands for carbon. I wonder if carbon bonded to the H-1 catalyzes oxidation of the iron in H-1 similar to how free carbon in standard steel alloys encourages rust. In other words, the way H-1 resists rust so very well is due in part to it having an extremely low level of carbon in the alloy. The DLC may be adding carbon back to the surface.

Another angle to consider is that graphite, another form of carbon, has a galvanic potential very different from that of stainless steel. I knew a man who built a carbon fiber hulled trimaran that he raced very successfully off the coast of Florida. He told me that he had to regularly replace the type 316 stainless steel fasteners that screwed into the hull because galvanic corrosion was destroying them in a single season.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

He has nothing but good things to say about spyderco and says that despite the small amount of rust on one of his H1 knives he'd still carry an aqua salt as an all purpose salt water knife. Sounds like a horribly biased person who hates spyderco. Definitely a stupid person...

No, he's not into the geeky side of knives and reported what he saw and still believes in spyderco knives, even to where he is going through the catalog picking beautiful and, in his perception, functional knives. Definitely a Spyderco hater.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

He's not a Spyderco hater, just an aW50b2xlcmFibGUgZnVja2luZyBsdW5hdGlj

* That's Base64 encoded for forum safety.
"We have more metal parts fail than plastic parts. Modern plastics are tough. 'Feeling cheap' may be a false perception and one might need more education. We rarely get a FRN knife back with handle problems and we have millions of them out in daily use. " --Sal Glesser
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Knutty wrote:He's not a Spyderco hater, just an aW50b2xlcmFibGUgZnVja2luZyBsdW5hdGlj

* That's Base64 encoded for forum safety.
I see what ya did there :cool:
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

There's just a portion of knife guys in the forums that just don't like the guy. That's way before this topic and how he feels about Spyderco isn't their problem here.

There's reasons to like the guy.. and there's reasons why people don't like his knife videos. Some find him annoying. Off the top of my head, he got a lot of heat for reviewing and recommending a fake Hinderer... a video that he took down. Nutn generally dislikes pocket brick ZT's so those sensitive ZT guys in the forums aren't fans. He gave an honest review on the Sebenza but was critical of it and midtechs, so that crowd aren't fans. Some are annoyed by his politics and style and will say so when the topic of Nutnfancy comes up.

Whatever the case, it's a free enough country for Nutnfancy and everyone else to do their thing and say what they want to say.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I have read ZERO posts in this thread!

I will simply tell you that the guy doesn't know what people think he does. I have seen him make completely incorrect statements many times in the last 5 years. The dude is a tool.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Nahhh I've watched a couple videos and yeah, he doesn't appear to know more than the average Joe in a lot of regards, but he is fairly entertaining. The only thing to not like is that his word is taken for fact by a lot of people, or rather way way way too many people. He's just a dude. I'd hang out with him. It'd probably be a blast! The problem we have isn't really with him, it's with the perception that has grown around him. He doesn't deserve the hate just as much as he doesn't deserve the idolization.

Stimulating hypotheses once again Bill! I really wish I had something to offer there. Though I think the case of those bolts rusting is just salt water being salt water. 316 still ain't H1! How did he come to the conclusion it was galvanic corrosion, I wonder? Doesn't that require dissimilar metals, not just materials in general?
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I don't have anything against anyone trying to set themselves up as experts. After all, a lot of members here do that after reading some metallurgy charts and messing around with lock stick.

I just don't watch nutn's vids because I don't want to listen to hime for 10-15 minutes before he gets to the point.
four_shore

Post by four_shore »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I don't have anything against anyone trying to set themselves up as experts. After all, a lot of members here do that after reading some metallurgy charts and messing around with lock stick.

I just don't watch nutn's vids because I don't want to listen to hime for 10-15 minutes before he gets to the point.

nutnfancy videos have a point?
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

four_shore wrote:
nutnfancy videos have a point?
Haha, touche.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

PayneTrain wrote: (snip)

Stimulating hypotheses once again Bill! I really wish I had something to offer there. Though I think the case of those bolts rusting is just salt water being salt water. 316 still ain't H1! How did he come to the conclusion it was galvanic corrosion, I wonder? Doesn't that require dissimilar metals, not just materials in general?
My friend has experience with fiberglass boats in saltwater and they don't kill the screws like carbon fiber does. Carbon fiber, while not really considered a metal, IS electrically conductive, which allows it to participate in a galvanic cell. I believe the silver colored Eveready D cells of my childhood were carbon-zinc cells. Carbon is very high on the galvanic scale, evidently high enough that the 316 SS became a sacrificial anode when they touched one another in salt water.