Uh oh nutnfancy spreading misinformation...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bluntcut

Re: Uh oh nutnfancy spreading misinformation...

Post by bluntcut »

Hey Lance - I enjoy your new lcn2000 thread and posts in general. Yeah it's funny 'great mind think alike' or maybe not great but normal curiosity about things :D

Chris .Anagarika linked me another thread and eventually caught interest in this one because my beater rusted tip 420j fillet knife was a mystery in my mind for at least 10 years until yesterday unless/until discover otherwise. Its last used was to examine a steelhead stomach content(to improve lure&bait&presentation) and straight into sheath for weeks. btw - fresh water fishing. Just to be sure, I asked a theoretical chemist about HCl interacts with H1 & LCN2000 composition ... A drop of gastric acid(HCl) - as evaporating - can gets quite concentrated which would corrodes these steels. I've a z-finit/lcn2000 blade (somewhere in my shop waiting for a handle), easy to test this theory anyway using pure HCl at different concentration(dilution) or just take it to fishing pier ...
Surfingringo wrote:
bluntcut wrote:Beside electro-oxidation/rusting, one can test/try for rust by put some fish/mamal gastric acid (those with stomach) on H1 / LCN2000 blade... maybe it will or won't ;)
Hey Bluntcut, it is soooo interesting that you just mentioned this. I was just about to make a new post about this very subject today based on an observation I made yesterday. Better to start a new thread on it I believe.

*Bluntcut, check the post I just made. I was literally making that post today as I read your response. Funny!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74387
JenWrath

Post by JenWrath »

nutnfancy comes across as a guy really trying to get information about products out to people. For general overview of "how this might work if you carried it", I like some of his material. I certainly see no reason to insult him; if anything he's gotten more people into this hobby than turned away from.

I figure anyone that really needs a product like the H1 line offers, won't be stopped from buying by this claim. It'll just add to their knowledge base on proper care, things to be mindful of, etc. H1 can get beat up and in certain conditions need far more care than normally reported? Okay, we're all better off now.

Anyone that's decided that they need to spend some extra money for a very specific use folder, will probably realize most youtube reviews rely on the income generated from their videos. You can see the shift Shabazz has gone through from sharing a passion to gearing all his videos towards a set theme and view-generating content. He's still widely popular and fairly new, so criticism isn't really "allowed" in most forums. He's still the "everyman that has our back doing reviews" - but really, he's cultivated a very specific image and maintained it. His early work is natural and enjoyable - his later stuff is a honed process that's virtually the same with every video. Youtubers are just what sitcoms were in the late 80's and throughout the 90's. Which is completely fine and honestly logical. I wouldn't be spending a few hours a week on videos and doing email/text/social media correspondence to keep product coming in if I wasn't making money off of it - my time still has to be weighed against what my job pays me and the time other things in my life need.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well I will say this, he made me aware of Brooks AGrip wrap for gun grips. That stuff is awesome.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

Surfingringo wrote:Hi hunter seeker, thanks for the followup response. I am not good at separating quotes on here so I'm going to interject a few observations and questions within your quote that I will just type in red text.
hunterseeker5 wrote:No, it isn't fish guts. If you assume everyone who presents evidence is lying, or highly unintelligent, you'll only ever be able to reach one conclusion. With all due respect, I believe you yourself are assuming that folks with vastly more experience than you are lying or mistaken.

The edge has never been sharpened, nor do there appear to be any spots of corrosion on the bevel. Does that not seem odd to you? The edge (especially the apex) is typically the first part of a knife to succumb to corrosion. If you believe H1 is rusting, how do you explain corrosion on the coating but not on the edge bevel?They are all on the laser work (logo, etc) and under the coating. I could have color corrected the photos to make it look redder and truer to life, but reading through this forum it is pretty obvious there are some people who aren't looking to be convinced of anything.

I'm not particularly worried about this. Doesn't seem like it is any threat to the structural integrity of the blade. And I've had corrosion issues with parts on spyderco knives in the past and gotten a **** of a runaround from their customer service, so why bother even bringing it up? I only post it because I am yet another example of an H1 spyderco with corrosion on it. I agree that you have what appears to be some form of corrosion on your knife but its not the H1 steel that is corroding And BTW, for those saying they have "NEVER" seen "legitimate" corrosion on an H1 spyderco before, I've seen examples posted on this forum before. Could you please post a link to one or more of those? I would like to see that. I strongly suspect you are remembering one or more pictures with a salt knife showing rust that leaked from either the hardware or pivot area after long term saltwater exposure. I have seen this happen on my salt knives. The hardware on the salt knives is HIGHLY stainless but is not h1 and will eventually show some corrosion if left constantly exposed to a salty environment. It usually starts after a couple of months of 24/7 exposure. It's rarely seen because not one out of thousand users subject their knives to that level of constant exposure. I have NEVER seen an example of H1 steel rusting. Like I said, if you have seen such an example then please post a link.Several long standing members who have been here longer than I and participate more than I very likely saw them as well.... and are now claiming or allowing claims of "I have never seen...." to go unchallenged. I'm not here to stomp on any fanboy, believe whatever you want to believe god knows there are better documented realities that larger numbers of people are only too happy to try to deny, but how many cases of rust popping up on the surface of H1 knives do you have to see before you'll be convinced it can happen? One would be a good start?Doesn't ruin them, I've never seen an H1 knife die or take any serious damage from corrosion under reasonable use, but personal attacks on a knife reviewer who bought a "rust proof" knife and who popped surface rust on it because you have "never seen it before" doesn't help anything. Agreed. Nutnfancy did indeed make an error in his assessment of what was happening to his knife but there is no reason to get personal or rude. He was making an observation on what he saw. Were he to do a good bit more testing he would eventually catch his error; or he could listen to those that have far more experience wth the steel...that's another way to learn things. Likewise, claiming that I'm a nut, that it must be fish guts, etc all in an effort to personally deny another example of it occurring.......

And to be clear, since some people struggle with this concept, I still like Spyderco, I still am happy with this and all the other H1 knives, after (could it really be?) almost a decade in and out of chlorine and salt with one of my original Salts I have seen no corrosion on it. I like Spyderco, I plan to buy a Caribbean when they come out, but denying reality and personal attacks help no one.
Ok hunterseeker, please let me make extremely clear that I am in no way trying to be rude or personal. I really do appreciate your feedback and I find it interesting seeing the spots on the coating of your blade. Makes me curious as to what is causing it. You are absolutely entitled to your opinion and I understand why you are drawing those conclusions. You are, however, mistaken about the core issue of H1 itself rusting. Some of the things in your post I disagree with and that's where I typed in my responses. I assure you I'm not trying to be a wiseass with you so I hope it doesn't read that way. :)
You mistake my point/intent. When you advertise something as "rustproof" or "absolutely will not rust" or whatever the current Spyderco marketing verbiage is, to most people that would cover all corrosion under normal use conditions. Your argument is much much narrower, favorable to Spyderco, and isn't the interpretation most people would take from that which could be summarized as: no corrosion which will cause mechanical failure to the blade will occur. So when rust spots pop up on these blades you, and a majority of other forumites here, are quick to point out that it must be surface contamination on the blade from the factory grinding, or some superficial interaction with where logos were lasered on, etc.

Corrosion isn't just a means of mechanical blade failure though. The reality is that, precious few of us, have really caused mechanical damage to any of our knives with corrosion in normal use. It does however look ugly, rub off on things you cut, mar the knife, etc. From that perspective, a 400 series stainless like is common on inexpensive dive knives would also pop a few rust spots in use (I know, I've done it) but could be similarly, not identically, claimed as "not really rusting" because that rust is just on the surface and you can steel wool it off by your argument. So when the reality, that H1 blades can show surface rust from whatever source, comes out, while the Spyderco fanatical can say "that doesn't count," regular people broadly speaking won't see it that way. It doesn't mean that the H1 blade itself would rust into oblivion in a single lifetime, but that isn't the standard most people expect when they hear something is corrosion-free. And then to accuse those people of being crazy, or stirring up drama, or whatever..... it just isn't reasonable.

I realize it is difficult to get perspective when you're in the fray. But back up for a second and look at how this thread would read to someone who has never owned a Spyderco before? Some guy, a reasonably respected reviewer with no obvious conflict of interest, produces pretty plausible evidence of surface rust on a knife marketed as "rust proof." The response is an internet feeding frenzy with pages and pages of people piling on offering every imaginable manner of excuse or distraction, from personal insults to personal accounts. The result is easy to read as rabid, undirected, fanboyism. It isn't pretty. It is also the kind of thing that keeps a lot of people away from brands like BRK. I'll never convince the faithful that it isn't red algae or aliens or whatever, but I'm not trying to convince people who are trying not to listen. There are a lot more people reading than posting.

Does that make more sense?

*edit*
I do want to reiterate quickly that I don't think any of the H1 blades I've seen rust on are going to rust away or incur mechanical damage. I'll accept the argument that it is an interaction from the coating, caused by the laser, rub off from the grinder, or whatever. At no point did I say, or do I believe, the blades will rust away. That is a tangential point though.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

hunterseeker5 wrote: You mistake my point/intent. When you advertise something as "rustproof" or "absolutely will not rust" or whatever the current Spyderco marketing verbiage is, to most people that would cover all corrosion under normal use conditions. Your argument is much much narrower, favorable to Spyderco, and isn't the interpretation most people would take from that which could be summarized as: no corrosion which will cause mechanical failure to the blade will occur. So when rust spots pop up on these blades you, and a majority of other forumites here, are quick to point out that it must be surface contamination on the blade from the factory grinding, or some superficial interaction with where logos were lasered on, etc.

Corrosion isn't just a means of mechanical blade failure though. The reality is that, precious few of us, have really caused mechanical damage to any of our knives with corrosion in normal use. It does however look ugly, rub off on things you cut, mar the knife, etc. From that perspective, a 400 series stainless like is common on inexpensive dive knives would also pop a few rust spots in use (I know, I've done it) but could be similarly, not identically, claimed as "not really rusting" because that rust is just on the surface and you can steel wool it off by your argument. So when the reality, that H1 blades can show surface rust from whatever source, comes out, while the Spyderco fanatical can say "that doesn't count," regular people broadly speaking won't see it that way. It doesn't mean that the H1 blade itself would rust into oblivion in a single lifetime, but that isn't the standard most people expect when they hear something is corrosion-free. And then to accuse those people of being crazy, or stirring up drama, or whatever..... it just isn't reasonable.

I realize it is difficult to get perspective when you're in the fray. But back up for a second and look at how this thread would read to someone who has never owned a Spyderco before? Some guy, a reasonably respected reviewer with no obvious conflict of interest, produces pretty plausible evidence of surface rust on a knife marketed as "rust proof." The response is an internet feeding frenzy with pages and pages of people piling on offering every imaginable manner of excuse or distraction, from personal insults to personal accounts. The result is easy to read as rabid, undirected, fanboyism. It isn't pretty. It is also the kind of thing that keeps a lot of people away from brands like BRK. I'll never convince the faithful that it isn't red algae or aliens or whatever, but I'm not trying to convince people who are trying not to listen. There are a lot more people reading than posting.

Does that make more sense?

Hey Hunterseeker, yes, I see your point that you make in the first paragraph. You may be correct that most people think that way and you may not be, but I'm not disagreeing with the idea that the blade etching (and even the parts of the hardware under the most extreme conditions) can show some corrosion. That idea was not what I was responding to in this thread though...and there is a reason.

Mr. Nutnfancy made a specific claim. He put a post up for hundreds of thousands of people saying "Did you know H1 steel can rust?". Those were not my words, they were his. He observed a phenomenon on his knife and said inferred that the blade steel was rusting. It was not. I was simply correcting his error based on having more experience with the steel than he has.

Interestingly enough, I made the same error when I was new to this forum and new to Spyderco and this goes a long way towards answering your question about what an average or reasonable person would think when his blade showed some corrosion on the surface and other people told him it was due to the logo etching. For my first Spyderco I bought a Salt knife and after a few days of use on the ocean I noticed the very same "corrosion" that he shows on his knife. I was pretty bummed out and though "well, I guess this steel isn't really as corrosion proof as they say". The difference is, instead of going on social media and claiming that H1 would rust, I came here and asked folks with more experience than I what they thought. I was told that it was a result of residue left from the etching and would shortly stop behaving in that way and not occur anymore. I was still a bit concerned and wasn't fully convinced but instead of telling them they were wrong and that my blade was rusting, I went out and continued using and testing it and promptly discovered they were correct. Those same knives have gone on to see tens of thousands of hours of constant saltwater exposure and the H1 steel has never shown any further corrosion of any kind.

Anyway, like I said, I won't argue with your first clarification but in subsequent paragraphs you are still talking about H1 showing "surface rust" like 400 series stainless. It is a rather poor analogy as 400 stainless is nowhere remotely rust proof while H1 is actually rustproof. Put a 400 series dive knife on my kayak 24/7 and in a year it will look like a medieval dirk that someone found on the bottom of the dead sea. (An exaggeration, but not by much, hah) I know you are having a hard time believing what you are hearing about the properties of H1 itself and that's ok. You are entitled to your beliefs and you can hold your position and try to refute the facts that others are sharing with you but you will be fighting to defend a position of error.

Anyway, that's quite enough out of me. My hope is that you get yourself some more H1 and go about trying to prove me wrong and then come back and let us know what you find.
araneae

Post by araneae »

This Salt 1 spent roughly 1 year on the floodplains of the Chagrin River. When it was relocated, not a speck of rust on her. Nutnfancy or nutnrelevant?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

araneae wrote:This Salt 1 spent roughly 1 year on the floodplains of the Chagrin River. When it was relocated, not a speck of rust on her. Nutnfancy or nutnrelevant?

It never happened to me so it must be B.S. and anyone who says otherwise is totally a terrible person. I mean knives, right? What a great thing to tear someone down over.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28093

"PostSun May 13, 2007 12:37 pm

This is a sensitive subject, so I would appreciate your patience and understanding.

The hostility that seems to appear on the forum makes it an uncomfortable place to be. This is opposite the intention.

Much of the hostility seems to be centered around the "round hole issue".

After listening to comments, discussion and much thought (which requires time becausae I'm sometimes slow), I have a request.

I am asking you to pull any tag lines or comments that could be percerived as hostile or antagonistic to other companies in the knife industry, while on our forums.

I realize that to many, it is an important issue, and I will admit to being sensitive myself, but a negative approach is not good for the industry or Spyderco in the industry.

Intelligent, civil communication is more valuable.

We have always tried to "leave shiny footprints" where ever we go. I personally have tried to avoid negative comments towards other companies. (No, I'm not perfect either :o ) I think it serves to keep thoughts about Spyderco and other companies more positive than negative.

If you would like to be closely associated with Spyderco, which we greatly appreciate, it would be our wish that you consider leaving shiny footprints rather than hostile feelings, where Spyderco is concerened.

thanx much for your cooperation and kind understanding.

sal"
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

https://youtu.be/C6cxNR9ML8k
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Liquid Cobra wrote:https://youtu.be/C6cxNR9ML8k

No. Sick of it. Keyboard warriors who wouldn't say half of this stuff with the other man standing in front of them unless a cop was standing right there. I see it all the time. It's bull*!%*.

*Edited for language. Bodog, you're entitled to your opinion but save the profanity for elsewhere. - TazKristi
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

If it is really bothering you, the best thing to do is just stop reading it. Seriously. I'm not trying to be a jerk.
qazy

Post by qazy »

Looks like it boils down to:
1. H1 knife can rust -> Possible
2. H1 steel can rust -> No way*

*with enough chemicals and proper lab equipment I am sure one can make H1 oxidize.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

qazy wrote:*with enough chemicals and proper lab equipment I am sure one can make H1 oxidize.
True, but you can oxidize gold if you try hard enough. What's important is that getting H-1 to oxidize takes exposure to chemicals that would damage your skin, not things a knife would normally encounter, and the oxide that forms will be black not rusty red.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Bodog wrote:People with any amount of knowledge likely don't listen to nutnfancy because it takes all of about 1 minute to figure out he's not that knowledgeable himself.
^openly insults nutnfancy's knowledge.
Bodog wrote:
araneae wrote:This Salt 1 spent roughly 1 year on the floodplains of the Chagrin River. When it was relocated, not a speck of rust on her. Nutnfancy or nutnrelevant?

It never happened to me so it must be B.S. and anyone who says otherwise is totally a terrible person. I mean knives, right? What a great thing to tear someone down over.
^but somehow an anecdote with a different experience and outcome is interpreted as tearing someone down and implying they're a terrible person? :confused:
Bodog wrote:No. Sick of it. Keyboard warriors who wouldn't say half of this stuff with the other man standing in front of them unless a cop was standing right there. I see it all the time. It's bull*!%*.
Pot, meet kettle.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

jabba359 wrote:
Bodog wrote:People with any amount of knowledge likely don't listen to nutnfancy because it takes all of about 1 minute to figure out he's not that knowledgeable himself.
^openly insults nutnfancy's knowledge.
Bodog wrote:

^but somehow an anecdote with a different experience and outcome is interpreted as tearing someone down and implying they're a terrible person? :confused:
Bodog wrote:No. Sick of it. Keyboard warriors who wouldn't say half of this stuff with the other man standing in front of them unless a cop was standing right there. I see it all the time. It's bull*!%*.
Pot, meet kettle.

**Applause**

I'm not here talking smack. I said the guy isn't that knowledgeable, and that's true, while others are straight insulting the man's character. Not hard to see a difference unless you purposefully don't want to.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

It's true that the guy is not the be all end all authority. He is stating his opinion. Disagreeing with him is not the same as insulting him.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

cabfrank wrote:It's true that the guy is not the be all end all authority. He is stating his opinion. Disagreeing with him is not the same as insulting him.

If all someone did is disagree with him then what would the problem be? I said insulting the man's character and everything about him rather than just civilly discuss things.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I know what you mean. It does happen on the Internet.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Bodog wrote:I'm not here talking smack. I said the guy isn't that knowledgeable, and that's true, while others are straight insulting the man's character. Not hard to see a difference unless you purposefully don't want to.
Could you then please explain the logic behind you interpreting the quote below as "tearing someone down" and implying he's "totally a terrible person"? Somehow I'm missing the part that's straight up insulting his character, but maybe that's just my fault, as you imply.
Bodog wrote:

-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

I don't have the time or inclination to quote the immature attacks from this thread or the apostlep thread or any other thread where someone lists concerns in a way that isn't pleasing or that isn't surrounded by gushing praise.
palonej

Post by palonej »

Don't bother Jabba. You'll just be called a troll because you disagree with that nonsense.
He is slowly, but surely, wearing out his welcome here.......as he has done elsewhere, and been booted.
Joe

PS......he just can't help himself. Sad really.