Introduction with the Manix 2 Backlock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gmhauy

Re: Introduction with the Manix 2 Backlock

Post by gmhauy »

So almost a month later I thought it was time for an update on my initial review comments, for those who might still be on the fence regarding the M2 Backlock (how can you still be sitting on the fence?).

CLIP

Initially I forgot to mention that, weirdly (for me), the Backlock is delivered in tip down configuration.
I am happy to say that it took me only a few minutes to reconfigure it in tip up with zero problem.
I read in another thread someone lament that the patch of G10 where the clip was affixed remains marred after you remove it. That's true if you look at it under the right light - you have to look for it (you will notice it does not show on the below picture).
If like mine, your Manix is a user, you won't care.

BLADE ACTION

I wrote quite a paragraph ref the rather stiff blade action as received. No grittiness at all, but what I would call a very tight smoothness if that makes sense.
First I treated the pivot with a few drops of Tuf Glide and worked the blade awhile. Slight improvement, nothing outstanding though.
Then I got a second Torx tip in the right size and gave a try to adjusting the pivot tension.
Complete success. No Loctite to break apparently (or maybe it's blue Loctite), I was able to loosen the tension easily. First a bit too much, easy to adjust back.
At this point the blade disengages by a few degrees when depressing the lock bar, allowing to securely close the blade with two hands, or with one hand pushing against the spine with my leg or anything available.
With a little flick when unlocking, the blade drops at 90° of the handle, the blade choil securely meeting my index placed in the forward position.
(My stubby fingers have difficulties doing the index-in-the-hole thing, it's really clumsy in my case, cannot get used to it).
So my main comment on the blade action stiffness still holds, but it's real easy to solve.
Even with the slight loosening of the pivot, the detent still holds strong: I am still not able to shake open the blade, however violent the shaking.

USING

Not surprisingly I used the Backlock for a series of standard cutting chores around the house and backyard with no issue and total satisfaction.
Lately I had to get rid of some tough thorny brambles that wanted to make their home in the angle of my terrace wall. With the original factory edge, the Backlock made short work of the task. With respect to the thorns I had garden gloves on but I had no problem taking the knife from my pocket, opening it, and closing it afterwards. Think I touched a water pipe doing it, which will be confirmed later on.

MAINTENANCE

The next day I checked the knife and realized that I had not completely cleaned some gooey stuff left from the brambles. Short cleaning with alcohol, no trace left on the blade whatsoever - good old S30V.
After the brambles episode the edge was not so sharp anymore. Still cutting, but not scary sharp. ("Scary sharp" in my book means, when feeling the edge with my thumb, the blade starts biting so eagerly at the slightest touch that I can feel hackles raise on my neck; I am sure you know the feeling.).
Initially I thought I would just do a quick touching up with the fine rods of the Sharp Maker like I did with the CF/Cruwear exclusive at the same point.
However, a quick examination with a magnifying glass showed me that I had slightly dented the edge the day before against that water pipe.
So I decided to start with the medium rods.
A touch of Sharpie in a few strategic places, and the first passes showed me that, with the rods at the 40° angle and the knife carefully held vertically, I was indeed perfectly working the apex. I went by the Sal book, 20 passes on the angles and then 20 more on the flats, and we were already back to scary sharp as per above definition.
I finished the work with the fine rods, maybe 15 passes on the angles and same on the flats were enough to finish the job.
I had not time to play with ultra fine or to strop the edge, so I decided it was "good enough to keep" and left it at that.
I will just add that one additional quality of the Manix design, in my opinion, is that the leaf shape of the blade with its very light belly makes it easy to sharpen even for non-pros of the sharpening like me.

CONCLUSION

One month later, and although I did not beat the living s..t out of the Backlock, I am sticking to my conclusions: strong knife, perfect finish, locking and detent, very comfortable to handle. The stiff action - which I did not rate as a defect anyway - is easy to adjust at your liking, so is the tip down position of the clip.
A great and above all very pleasant knife that is a joy to use in rotation with my CF/Cruwear.

Gerard

ImageIMG_9828 by Gerard, on Flickr
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Nice review Gerard! Thanks for sharing your insights. I have one en route as I write this ;)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Thanks for the update. I will reiterate that this is my favorite knife that Spyderco makes.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:04 am
Thanks for the update. I will reiterate that this is my favorite knife that Spyderco makes.
I'm with you on that.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:41 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:04 am
I'm with you on that.
I bought one several weeks ago and can confirm that all the positive comments and observations reported are very accurate. It's notably well made, and impressively "stout". One personal observation is that I find the handle a little too "blocky", but am aware that the liner-less design requires a thicker G-10 handle.

One reason I think I might be slightly less enthusiastic about the Manix 2 BL is that I have too many models to choose from at the moment, and am perhaps a bit overwhelmed; I have been on a "spree" as of late, adding to my inventory a Sprint Caly Hap40, a plain G-10 Manix 2 s30v, a Polestar, and a Titanium Cara Cara....as well as the aforementioned Manix BL. Of course, this says nothing about the Manix 2 BL, but begs the question : "when is one more, too many?"
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I am just rereading this review. This might be one of the nicest knife reviews I have ever read. I officially nominate Gerard to write all knife reviews from now on. And after reading this (a few weeks ago) I picked up one of these. A superb knife. I won't be unhappy if Spyderco decides to make the Manix in this form from now on.
gmhauy

Post by gmhauy »

Thanks for the nice words Tom :)
You all send me your knives and I'll be happy to review them :D

Seriously, I got myself a Gayle Bradley 2 some months ago (mainly for the sake of owning a knife in M4) and I should do a write-up as well (not that the Internet lacks in complete reviews of the GB2); maybe later when I have a little more time.

Gerard
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Man, I really want to try one of these, but am waiting for it to come out in other flavors. I am REALLY hoping BHQ does a run of this in Jade G10 and M4, with DLC and Satin as options. Being how quickly their first runs of the Manix sold out, I would think they would jump at the chance to do this!

Would also take one in Cruwear or 52100...or maybe this would be a good knife to roll out with 3V or 4V!!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Love mine, it sat in a drawer for a few months before I rediscovered it. Easily my favorite Spyderco.... specifically the back lock M2
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 3:05 pm
Man, I really want to try one of these, but am waiting for it to come out in other flavors. I am REALLY hoping BHQ does a run of this in Jade G10 and M4, with DLC and Satin as options. Being how quickly their first runs of the Manix sold out, I would think they would jump at the chance to do this!

Would also take one in Cruwear or 52100...or maybe this would be a good knife to roll out with 3V or 4V!!
In for a back lock Manix 2 sprint!!
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 3:05 pm
maybe this would be a good knife to roll out with 3V or 4V!!
Now you are talking !!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This would be a perfect knife to come out in K390 or equivalent.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050