Introduction with the Manix 2 Backlock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
OakTree

Re: Introduction with the Manix 2 Backlock

Post by OakTree »

Is the back-lock considered an upgrade?
gmhauy

Post by gmhauy »

wrdwrght wrote:And, here you have it...an enjoyable write-up that just wears away our resistance to another knife.
I'm real sorry. Not. :D
gmhauy

Post by gmhauy »

OakTree wrote:Is the back-lock considered an upgrade?
I think it should be considered a variant. If anything, the KC exclusive CF/Cruwear could be considered an upgrade over other versions, but the Backlock is just different.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Very nice write up! I'm going to try to hold out for a sprint run. You might be able to guess what two steels I would like to see.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

OakTree wrote:Is the back-lock considered an upgrade?

I would say its just a different offering. I prefer it to the CBBL. Some people make the argument that the CBBL is more "hard use" than the back lock..... those people are kidding themselves if they think Spyderco would put out a thicker yet weaker variant.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Thanks for the review!
I liked it instantly when i got it in my hand in Amsterdam back in February!
On a side note - can anyone tell me the pivot bushing material (if it even has bushings ) PB, Teflon or what?
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Thanks for all the information, Gerard, and the nice photos, et vive La France! (and good luck in the next stage of the election :eek: ) .... ¡y viva España! :D

I just ordered the Knife Center CF Cruwear exclusive... I decided to hold off on the Backlock and hope to get it later sometime. I do really like the absence of liners, especially the liner jimping, and the absence of the lanyard tube, but I like the lighter weight of the CF version (4 oz/113g I think) and have been wanting a Manix in CF, especially the smoother variety, with a Cruwear, S90V, or S110V blade. I do hope that I don't ever have to remove the lanyard tube, because the chance of damage to the scales would be even worse with the CF.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
gmhauy

Post by gmhauy »

Larry_Mott wrote: On a side note - can anyone tell me the pivot bushing material (if it even has bushings ) PB, Teflon or what?
From the bronze-colored reflection I get when shining a flashlight in the space between the blade and the scale, I would say it's probably PB.
gmhauy

Post by gmhauy »

DougC-3 wrote:Thanks for all the information, Gerard, and the nice photos, et vive La France! (and good luck in the next stage of the election :eek: ) .... ¡y viva España! :D

I just ordered the Knife Center CF Cruwear exclusive... I decided to hold off on the Backlock and hope to get it later sometime. I do really like the absence of liners, especially the liner jimping, and the absence of the lanyard tube, but I like the lighter weight of the CF version (4 oz/113g I think) and have been wanting a Manix in CF, especially the smoother variety, with a Cruwear, S90V, or S110V blade. I do hope that I don't ever have to remove the lanyard tube, because the chance of damage to the scales would be even worse with the CF.
Thanks for the nice words Doug. The CF/Cruwear variant is a joy to use, you won't be disappointed.
Remains the issue of that lanyard tube, but as long as you don't disassemble it that's a non-issue.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

gmhauy wrote:
From the bronze-colored reflection I get when shining a flashlight in the space between the blade and the scale, I would say it's probably PB.
Thanks! Sounds reassuring :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Hi Gerard,

In case you haven't seen or tried, unlock with thumb in lockbar and first finger in the hole. Push the blade down once thumb has pressed deep enough. I do that all the time with my lockbacks. Not sure if this is doable with the M2 though.
Chris :spyder:
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

anagarika wrote:Hi Gerard,

In case you haven't seen or tried, unlock with thumb in lockbar and first finger in the hole. Push the blade down once thumb has pressed deep enough. I do that all the time with my lockbacks. Not sure if this is doable with the M2 though.
Very doable, I find a backlock like this easier to close one handed than my Manix with CBBL.

Nice review, I've had this blade for 6 days now and like it a lot although I would prefer the handles a bit thinner.
Then again I would also prefer a LW version, I just like my folders lightweight and slim handled.
Might try the sheeps cheese test, travelling from Alicante to Madrid in a few weeks. :)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

If you press the lockbar and at the same time put your index finger in the hole, you can rotate the blade down and when it is far enough, you can put your thumb in the hole and close the knife, or press the spine with your index finger and close the knife. Very easy and safe.

Folks, if any of you have not bought this knife, I believe you should re-think that. This is the best large knife Spyderco makes, in my opinion. I cannot get over how good this knife is.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

Gerard,

Thanks for the write up. Great info and insight to the Manix2 w/Backlock. Those pics are great too.
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
gmhauy

Post by gmhauy »

anagarika wrote:Hi Gerard,

Thank you Chris, I did not know this technique. A bit clumsy in my case, I have wide enough hands but short fingers and my index just reaches the blade hole when my thumb presses the lock bar. Would be perfect with fingers a tad longer :)

Gerard
gmhauy

Post by gmhauy »

Doc Dan wrote: Folks, if any of you have not bought this knife, I believe you should re-think that. This is the best large knife Spyderco makes, in my opinion. I cannot get over how good this knife is.
I'll second that, and it makes a Manix 2 XL Lockback all the more desirable :)

Gerard
gmhauy

Post by gmhauy »

daknight wrote:Gerard,

Thanks for the write up. Great info and insight to the Manix2 w/Backlock. Those pics are great too.
"Vielen danke" for the kind words.

Gerard
gmhauy

Post by gmhauy »

Joris Mo wrote:
anagarika wrote: Nice review, I've had this blade for 6 days now and like it a lot although I would prefer the handles a bit thinner.
Then again I would also prefer a LW version, I just like my folders lightweight and slim handled.
Might try the sheeps cheese test, travelling from Alicante to Madrid in a few weeks. :)
Thank you.
Make sure to ask for Queso de oveja añejo (15 meses / 15 months), and don't forget to bring your Backlock along :cool:

If it's not aged you can cut it easily enough with a standard cheese knife, like in the picture :)

Imagequeso-de-oveja-anejo-graso by Gerard Hauy, on Flickr
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

I have pretty long fingers and close all my lockback Spydies with one hand, index finger on the Spydiehole 'till closed.

Will keep my eyes open for that cheese and the backlock is definitely coming along for the trip.
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

If this ever gets offered in Maxamet it will end my search for the perfect knife.