Spyderco thumb hole advice

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
biggee

Spyderco thumb hole advice

Post by biggee »

I have only been into Spyderco knives for around a month now, and just own the UKPK and Persistence models. I am looking for some advice from more advanced owners re a problem I am having with thumb hole on the China made Persistence. The top inner edge of this hole is very sharp and is cutting into my thumb, to the extent that it is starting to make it painfull to open this knife. Any advice on sorting this problem. Thanks in advance.
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Spyderco thumb hole advice

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

biggee, welcome to the forum. Some people have found they can take sand paper and sand down the sharp part and make it smooth. I do not know what will work best for you.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Roll some fine sandpaper around a pen and lightly smooth out the corner. You want to be careful not to scratch up the blade. You can also use the corners of a Sharpmaker rod if you have one.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
biggee

Post by biggee »

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have a Vctorinox sharpening steel rod that might be ideal for your suggestion Evil D. I am 70 years of age and my brain is not as sharp as these knives :-)
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Just be careful you'll do fine
biggee

Post by biggee »

Will do mate
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Biggee,

Welcome to our forum.

Good to see some younger than me joining. :p

sal
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

biggee wrote:I have only been into Spyderco knives for around a month now, and just own the UKPK and Persistence models. I am looking for some advice from more advanced owners re a problem I am having with thumb hole on the China made Persistence. The top inner edge of this hole is very sharp and is cutting into my thumb, to the extent that it is starting to make it painfull to open this knife. Any advice on sorting this problem. Thanks in advance.
1000 grit sandpaper suitable for steel from AutoZone or the like should knock off the edge without sacrificing function.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
biggee

Post by biggee »

Hi sal, thanks for the warm welcome, and also for the age reassurance. Some of these younger guys can flick open a spyderco almost as fast my wife can open my wallet.
biggee

Post by biggee »

Thanks for that advice Bodog
biggee

Post by biggee »

Just a final comment from me on this thread. Judging by the replies I have had, others have also suffered from this sharp edge problem. Given that the Spyderco opeing hole is almost a trademark for them, why have they not sorted out this sharpness problem already ?
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Once upon a time, many years ago, they tried chamfering the hole. They soon found out that it doesn't work as well with a beveled edge, and went back to leaving it square. The toughness of people's skin varies widely, so "too sharp" is a pretty personal thing. That edge that is cutting you might not bother me at all, but one that has been rounded off just enough for you might let my thumb slip off the hole in the middle of opening the blade. Solution? Leave them sharp for those of us that desire that feature and let the End Line User round it off a little if it is too sharp to suit their individual taste.

P.S. The hole is not "almost" a trademark for them. It is in fact a Registered Trademark of Spyderco, Inc. Welcome to the forum!
biggee

Post by biggee »

Thanks for the excellent informative reply yablanowitz, I did not know that. Leaving this to the and users to sort is a good solution that I had not considered.

Didn't know the hole was a trademark either. I stand corrected
palonej

Post by palonej »

Biggee!!! Nothing on God's green earth is faster than a wife opening her hubby's wallet!! Nothing!
On topic, try not to over do it smoothing out the hole. Too much and your thumb will slip off when trying to open your blade.
Welcome!!
Joe
biggee

Post by biggee »

I seem to have reached a happy medium with my smoothing down of the hole rim Joe, as the Persistence is opening as smooth as before witthout digging into my poor thumb. Thanks for all the replies guys.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The majority of my Spydies had smooth edges around the spydie hole, I had to sand my DFly Salt and one other. It was pretty easy.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Welcome biggee.
I have 20-30 spydercos and only one was sharp on the hole (my pits). It even cut me. It got smoothed out with use.
It just happens. Glad you fixed yours.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I think I've had to round off two of mine, which is still less than one percent. Since I generally use my thumbnail in the hole, the ones that were too sharp for me were kind of scary.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I actually take a Dremel sanding barrel to my holes and sharpen the edges. I like them nice and crisp. I have pretty tough skin though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Welcome to the forum biggee, hope you get your hole squared away :D
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."