Which small EDC would you recommend and why?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dodgie02

Which small EDC would you recommend and why?

Post by dodgie02 »

Hello fellow spydermen,

I've been in need of a smaller edc because my Delica has been through **** and back and sharpened, reprofiled and too much hard use and the blade I learned to sharpen from so.. it was my first spyderco, what started an addiction I didn't know existed. Fortunately my coping group told me there was no such thing as too many Spydies :p now then, please bear with the read, I tend to write a half novel about things I love.

I bought a pm2 in S110V, a manix 2 g10 in S110V and the lw version too, but sometimes you want something a tad smaller and which doesn't spook people much compared to the blade length of the before mentioned.

First of all, it won't be used for cutting down trees or nonsense, but I've come to appreciate the harder steels and having a small EDC with an edge that lasts is where I'm going for.
The ones on my mind are first of all a new delica 4 in vg10, but after enjoying S110V I've been debating zdp 189. I found S110V crazy easy to keep sharp if you stroke it a few times along fine rods once a month and never let it get too dull. And the delica is ergonomically the finest for its size compared to things like a leek, which I gave away because of that very reason.
Now, I've heard the dragonfly 2 is supposed to be quite a monster in a small package and I was impressed with the design. The manix has the best ergonomics I've felt and the leaf blade impressed me a lot. Not to mention that finger choil. The df2 seems to have both these qualities I love in the manix, but knowing I love the delica I'm hesitant despite many people praising or to high heavens. As for the steel, also zdp.

Lastly I have become more and more infatuated with the native 5 model. The size of the delica with a leaf blade, supposedly good ergonomics, but then there is a price difference. I'll likely go for a frn version, but then again, the g10 is pretty sexy and only weights a tad more. I have no experience with S35v steel but it supposedly holds and edge nicely and regular touch up like I do with my S110V Spydies should keep it good for years and years.
I can afford the lw S110V one too but whether it's worth spending that much more when the base model already has S35v is something I am unsure about.
The difference between vg10 and zdp makes it easy to justify the price difference, but here.. I'm unsure - except knowing I do like the qualities of 110v.

So here you guys come in. Considering my taste and preference in form and performance, which would you recommend? Or which has your own preference if you own (some of) these 3?

This will be the last spyderco I'm going to buy and I'll be using it a lot so please share your thoughts!

(yes, I know I can't go wrong with either one of them and I love to own them all but I don't dare risk another discussion about the appropriate distribution of funds. I'll lose :p The only one I'll buy in the future is the pink native 5 for her)

Thanks for reading and hope to get some input so I can end this pondering and comparing already. Here in the Netherlands Spydies are crazy priced so I'll be ordering overseas, and I know no retail store that has them on hand to try them in hand unfortunately so I'll be leaning on you guys!
ZMW

Re: Which small EDC would you recommend and why?

Post by ZMW »

So it is between a Native and a new Delica in ZDP? I love my Delica too. I have handled a Native but did not find it as comfy, but I think I need to try it again. Maybe wait for another sprint run Delica in a cool steel option?
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

For me, in order the choice would be K390 Urban, Maxamet Native 5 and S110V Native 5. All three are great (the first two being non stainless, if that matters to you)

These are three of the best steels you can find in a knife today, IMO.

The Urban is currently my favorite knife. Small size. Love the wire clip. Non locking, but that is fine for my needs.

The Natives are slightly larger and adds a backlock

Happy hunting

Ken
Last edited by kbuzbee on Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

My personal pick for a small non-threatening EDC would be either the K390 Urban Sprint (not stainless though) at $66, or the Ti & Elmax Squeak Sprint on sale for $110 now that it's discontinued. Both, are small, but very capable, have steels that perform better than VG-10 and both feature handles that lock your hand in like the Manix. The British Blades Elmax Urban is excellent as well, by probably much harder to come by. I have been carrying the Ti Squeak a lot lately and I can say with confidence that it's a lot more knife than it looks like!

As far as the Dragonfly goes, I like the Urban better, but the D'fly is a close second in this size category; it has a thinner blade and the choil is shallower than the Urban or Squeak's, but the blade locks. So it's a give and take of features... no Elmax or K390, but VG-10 is very decent and it does come in ZDP-189 ($78). I especially like the Foliage green G10 version ($96), despite it being heavier.

I'm also with you on the ZDP Delica, some day I *will* get one of those.

If you had the budget to try Maxamet, the new Native 5 LW in that steel is $144, while the "basic" version comes in at $87. I haven't had the Maxamet version long enough to be sure of all of its capability, but if reports are to be believed it's a step up from S110V in edge characteristics, though it isn't stainless. I like S35VN as well, it seems to sharpen to a fine edge just a bit easier than S30V, but is very similar. Again the Native has the deep choil to really lock you in to the grip and it has the thickest blade of the bunch, so I would rate it as the most robust of your prospectives.

As you said, it'll be hard to go wrong!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
anycal

Post by anycal »

dodgie02 wrote:This will be the last spyderco I'm going to buy...
You lost me there. I was with you until this.
Last edited by anycal on Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
anycal

Post by anycal »

But Native 5 otherwise. I have Delica and Native LW. Either does it for me. But N5 replaced the Delica as my 3" EDC.
Peter
palonej

Post by palonej »

Native! Just something about the way it feels in your hand when utilizing that forward choil!! Hard to explain, but once you hold it in that grip, you'll know!!
Also, the sound the lock makes at lock up.....priceless!!
Great knife, and this comes from a large blade lover!!
Another couple of smaller faves for me.....the Cat, although I'm not aware of super steels for it. Very cool big little knife!
My favorite small Spydie is the Chubby. Had no interest in it till KC offered it for $139......loved it so much I bought 2. That one will surprise you!!
Good luck!
Joe
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I love my s110v ukpk. Its in my pocket every day. Love the steel, love the color, love the light weight, love the clip. Dont miss the lock.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

A mantra may be out of your price range, but I love mine. Paramilitary sized blade in a Delica sized package. Plus M4 steel, titanium handles, and a frame lock. And if you shop around on eBay you can get a deal on one (I actually got a baaarely used one on eBay for $100).

Though if you are wanting something smaller than a Delica then the zdp Dragonfly is hard to beat. Feels like a much bigger knife in hand, but ridiculously small and light in the pocket. It's my EDC at work (can't carry a larger blade for fear of scaring co-workers).
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

The Native

1) made in the same country I live in
2) has a great choil-first grip
3) can still hammer-grip the knife with your whole hand
4) big choil that takes lateral loads well, unlike the delicate delica
5) robust backlock
6) grippy jimping on the blade, a rarity with Spyderco
7) S110V
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

I guess it depends on what you mean by small. There is a decent size difference between the DF2 and the Delica. For me, the DF2 in ZDP-189 is the perfect urban edc knife. However, if you are only going to have one knife and use it fairly often, I think you would be better off with a Delica than with the DF2.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Dragonfly 2, everyone needs at least 1.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
anycal

Post by anycal »

The Native carries real nice.

Peter
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Dragonfly 2 in ZDP.

But maybe also consider the CF Chaparral. It's a fantastic "smallish" EDC.
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

Yes, Dragonfly2 in ZDP. The G-10 one is nice as well, but the ZDP is awesome and is lightweight!
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Cheap/beater = Dragonfly
Nice/dressier = Chaparral
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

First of all, you guys are great. I made this thread before going to bed, not expecting more then 2 or 3 replies. Also, thank you for taking the time to write such elaborate posts taking my perspective and your own in mind and even providing additional info/thoughts on the topic. You guys really went beyond what I asked for, giving some additional food for thought. Thanks!
kbuzbee wrote:For me, in order the choice would be K390 Urban, Maxamet Native 5 and S110V Native 5. All three are great (the first two being non stainless, if that matters to you)
These are three of the best steels you can find in a knife today, IMO.
The Urban is currently my favorite knife. Small size. Love the wire clip. Non locking, but that is fine for my needs
it
Ken
I'm suprised to see the urban mentioned a few times in this tread! I'm definitely going to have to check up on it, I hadn't even considered it yet!
I've read all the replies and the native seems to get a lot more love then I expected! I was looking at the Maxamet native as well, and non stainless hardly weighs up to the pro's that come with a supersteel. I should read into maxamet a tad more. S110v has been an absolute champ and I know my way around it so I think at this point in steel quality I will go with s110v instead of maxamet, which is about ideal for my budget too. I'll check out the urban, but the idea of a native 5 in s110v is starting to grow on me! Thanks for your input!
awa54 wrote:(.....)I'm also with you on the ZDP Delica, some day I *will* get one of those.

If you had the budget to try Maxamet, the new Native 5 LW in that steel is $144, while the "basic" version comes in at $87. I haven't had the Maxamet version long enough to be sure of all of its capability, but if reports are to be believed it's a step up from S110V in edge characteristics, though it isn't stainless. I like S35VN as well, it seems to sharpen to a fine edge just a bit easier than S30V, but is very similar. Again the Native has the deep choil to really lock you in to the grip and it has the thickest blade of the bunch, so I would rate it as the most robust of your prospectives.

As you said, it'll be hard to go wrong!
Another mention of the Urban! Seems this knive gets a lot more traction then I thought it did! I'll Have to take a look into it!
Interesting how you would pick it over the DF2. VG10 is great steel, youbut after having carried s110v I think I'd be hard to go back to vg10, instead I'd opt for zdp-189 indeed.
I'm getting the vibe the DF2 zdp189 is a great knive but a bit of give and take in several departments, whereas the native 5 gets another mention. You are spot on when you mention the (sweet sweet) choil I've come to love with the manix, and it being the most robust is also a selling point for me!

From what I gather the native seems to be suited best to my current preference in an EDC knife, whereas another delica in zdp (and perhaps a DF2 in vg10) is alluring, but the robustness, choil and offers in several solid steel versions of the native will probably be vital points in my enjoyment of handling the knife daily. Thanks!
anycal wrote:
dodgie02 wrote:This will be the last spyderco I'm going to buy...
You lost me there. I was with yo until this.

But Native 5 otherwise. I have Delica and Native LW. Either does it for me. But N5 replaced the Delica as my 3" EDC.
My bad, I wrote it before going to bed, at which time America should be active and going about their thing :p I meant that this is the last one I'll buy for a longer period of time. The cost of my next spyderco has been increasing and the time between each purchase shorter, so I'm settling on a smaller knife then my pm2, manix2 and m2 lw so I have my bases covered in form and functionality. And a backlock with a smaller blade looks a tad less scary compared to the scary blades of the manix which appear out of nowhere with their slick flick action :rolleyes: :p Well, another vote for a native, after trying to reply to the posts it seems a native really does fit my current demands best, considering everything.
Thanks you, at this point I'm pretty confident about a native 5, I certainly wont regret it over a DF2 or Delica4 I'm sure!
palonej wrote:Native! Just something about the way it feels in your hand when utilizing that forward choil!! Hard to explain, but once you hold it in that grip, you'll know!!
Also, the sound the lock makes at lock up.....priceless!!
Great knife, and this comes from a large blade lover!!
Another couple of smaller faves for me.....the Cat, although I'm not aware of super steels for it. Very cool big little knife!
My favorite small Spydie is the Chubby. Had no interest in it till KC offered it for $139......loved it so much I bought 2. That one will surprise you!!
Good luck!
Joe
w
Well, at this point I'm actually sold on the Native :D After reading all tenAnd I know what you mean, when I went from a delica to a pm2 and then to a manix 2 it was that sweet choil which compliments the design of blade and handle so nicely, it just feels right. I hoped that the native 5 could at least emulate that and to a lesser degree also with the DF2. Glad to hear it not once but multiple times, I guess you could say in hindsight Iook was looking for a smaller edc which combined the best of the feel of a manix with the length and weight of a delica, but preferably with a more solid feel. Hence my interest in zdp, but I'm convinced that at this time the native 5 (likely in s110v, or maxamet if I have a change of heart) will be my next addition.

As for the rest of you guys, thank you vety much for taking the time to reply! I've read all your comments and about the DF2. My fingers are getting weary and my back stiff so I apologize not replying personally and individually! I am still very interested in it and will most definitely end up owning one, only in VG10. For this exact blade I think I'd actually appreciate it over zdp, as it seems like an ideal slicer of It's such an interesting knife by design and easy of carrying 'I could well see it as a back-up knife in my car or somewhere close at hand whereas the day to day use will be with one of the harder steels and/or broader handle when force needs to be applied.

Great suggestions all around, I'm confinced I'm going to enjoy the native 5 a lot more then I anticipated before making this thread, I've been putting off choosing because all 3 knives are amazing in their own right and I didn't want to regret choosing wrongly afterwards. However, I'm really looking forward to holding my first native 5. Also very interested in an orange df2 in vg10, a small homage in the same style my delica came in and what started this whole thing, if you will :p

One could almost say Spyderco doesn't even need to do marketing when they already have their customers selling their knives on people haha, and rightly so!

Thanks again and have a great day all of you!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Looks like you already got some great answers, but I thought this comparo photo I posted recently might be relevant : Chaparral gets me vote... Right in between the Native5 and DF2

Manix2, Sage1, Native5, Chaparral, Dragonfly2, Delica4
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

I get your thinking N5 S110V (both for cost and because you already know/like the steel) and it's terrific. I might steer you toward the Maxamet though for variety. Be nice to compare the two in your scenario. Everyone's usage is different (and it's a bit more uncommon to find at this point)

Ken
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Disclaimer: I didn't read the whole thread.

My suggestions based on personal experience:
Dragonfly ZDP (or HAP40)
Chaparral
Delica (I own the HAP40, but I'd still recommend the extra for the ZDP over VG10)
Sage 1/5 (based on owning the Sage 4, which is rare, pricey, and chunky; also, Sage 3 is harder to find now).

For something more premium: Techno (own it, love it), Mantra (own it, love it), Sage 2, Dice. There are other more-expensive options but I'm not sure which one I could recommend.

That's as big as I'd recommend for a "small EDC"; the PM2 and Manix I would think are too big to qualify, or really anything over 3 inches. I personally don't own but can recommend: Para 3, Native 5, Efficient, Urban, UKPK.

Now, if you really want a great 3-inch EDC, take a look at the Caly3 HAP40 sprint run that's coming out any minute now. That's going to be a fantastic piece, is reasonably priced, and HAP40 is absolutely fantastic.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2