Is there anyone else interested?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
pftbahaa

Is there anyone else interested?

Post by pftbahaa »

Just for fun, I thought it may be fun to post my general thoughts and interest in an idea. Stay with me here.

Now I, personally, have a preferred opening style on my knives: the "front flipper. (not that I really like calling it that.) This refers to an extension of the tang generally from the spine of the blade rather than behind the handle. Of course, it functions the same as the common flipper. I am simply biased to this style because my first folder had this.

Examples range from many traditional friction folders to more modern South African designs.

Well, I would like to see this on a locking Spyderco folder. I love the idea of my very favorite brand coupled with my very favorite lock (compression) and opener coming together and making a beautiful specimen that checks every box on my list. Kind of makes me drool a bit to be honest.

After all of that, finally we get to the point. Show of hands! Who may be interested in the same (or nearly the same) idea!? And just to add some flavor to the discussion, what are some knife cravings anyone else is having these days?
yablanowitz

Re: Is there anyone else interested?

Post by yablanowitz »

Sorry, but I'd pass on it. No interest in flippers, front or back, and I don't much care for the comp lock either. But my tastes seem to run counter to the market Spyderco serves, so you probably have a shot. Good luck.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm not sure I'd like it or not. My favorite part about most flippers isn't actually the flipping, it's the strong guard they create when opened. Seems like you'd lose that effect with a front flipper?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Check out Smock Knives SK23. Not sure it's quite a front flipper, perhaps top flipper? Anyways I love mine and it uses a button activated compression lock licensed from Spyderco. Kevin said somewhere that he gave one to Eric at a show so perhaps we might be lucky enough to see something like it from Spyderco one day, I sure hope so.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

yablanowitz wrote:Sorry, but I'd pass on it. No interest in flippers, front or back, and I don't much care for the comp lock either. But my tastes seem to run counter to the market Spyderco serves, so you probably have a shot. Good luck.
What he said.

I'm not into either comp lock or flippers, but I hope something comes together for you.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Might be nice. I hate how flippers are in the way. I plan on grinding the Mantra's flipper off.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Yup I'm very interested. I've been eyeing multiple front flippers hoping that Spyderco would save me hundreds of dollars and make one so I don't have to buy a custom.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Axis lock with a Spidie hole please :) Sal I told you in Oregon I'd keep asking :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Dragonizer

Post by Dragonizer »

I am also interested in flippers. I have two Ken Onion designs that I love, a 'Ripple' that was a gift, and a 'Hootenanny' I picked-up for rough work around our property. I am a bit better one handed at opening these flippers than, say, the Massad Ayoob I have, which is an EDC but not for work around the farm! (Need a bit more practice with that one).

Generally, the flipper levers do not bother me but I only have these two knives with that feature, I am still collecting Sypdercos, and besides the Ayoob, I have a Dyad and a Jot Singh Khalsa arriving on Thursday. None of those three will be relegated to what I consider rough work, but I am considering a couple of the 'value' models for that role, and I would definitely buy one with the flipper feature if it were available. However, I do plan more practice with the Spyder-hole feature...so perhaps I will just get to the point of not needing that little lever? :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Can't see that system working with a midlock, so I'll pass.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
pftbahaa

Post by pftbahaa »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Yup I'm very interested. I've been eyeing multiple front flippers hoping that Spyderco would save me hundreds of dollars and make one so I don't have to buy a custom.
There are a few affordable production models. The Maserin Starlight and Boker Exskelibur are two I like very much and are both less than $100.

As for a backlock it would not work. Unless maybe Spyderco throws their Powerlock on it, that might work if I understand how it functions.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I showed my LeMaire folder to Eric and subtly hinted that it might be worth Spyderizing.. :) It's a knife i hold in high regard and will always keep in spite of selling off almost every other knife except the Spydercos recently in order to go all in on Spyderco.

https://youtu.be/WOcR84jk08U

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

I am quite interested, as I have posted in the past.

I believe the term used in the South African knife making circle is "lip opener" for the extended tang manual opener. When the tang is extended more in line or above the pivot it is a front flipper.

It is usually found on liner/framelocks, but I can see it working on versions of the bolt/ball bearing locks and compression lock (but with greater engineering requirement).

I think it is the best way to compeletely remove the annoyance of pocket-hogging width, and I think it is best suited for the office/formal/traditional edc category where size is more a factor than opening indexing and a guard is not necessary. For example, I've long wanted a CRK Mnandi with a lip opener because a) the nail nick leaves a great deal to be desired b) the lip opener isn't going to mess with the gorgeous lines it already has flowing.

Another benefit, where it is similar to the flipper, is in cutting/sharpening. Depending on the plunge angle, there is no interference from blade protrusions with the material the way a disk, stud, or even the Spyderhole might.

Like Liquid Cobra, I've been waiting for my favourite manufacturer to bring a custom or two into production, and I've managed to prod one South African maker/Spyderco fan specializing in lip openers to take a swing at collaborating with Spyderco.

In the meantime, Boker Plus has a couple of models, and Kizer is dropping the Feist this month.
pftbahaa

Post by pftbahaa »

I've got an Exskelibur decade edition from Boker. It's a wonderful knife, but let's face facts: It's no Spyderco. The Feist has caught my eye as well but shares the same personal flaw. I've been on the lookout for more production lip openers (thank you, hoimin, for that bit of knowledge) but with little result.
Hopefully for the few of us who do want it Spyderco does go in on one.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I got over the flipper craze and assisted opening craze years ago. I think I'd pass.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Yes, I would be interested.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The Southard satisfied my curiosity about the flipper function.

I remain curious why Spyderco continues to produce flippers.

Their ongoing appearance suggests the elegant Spydiehole is not the superior opening solution.

I'm not one for mixed messages, so I will pass.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

The beauty of the lip opening knife is that it can also be slow rolled (like a Spydiehole, thumbstud/disc) or detent-tuned to flip if that suits your fancy. Unless the tab flipper has an alternative opening method (a la Mantra 1, Southard, Advocate), you're stuck with flip deployment.

Admittedly, the hole and the lip opener cross streams in terms of the solution provided, just different trade offs in implementation. The hole looks like it has easier engineering and mechanics, at the cost (or benefit for ffg) of blade height. The lip opener is a bit more involved with stops and leverage and pivot distance but simpler to machine blade stock and has better size efficiency.

I think lip openers are perfect for the modern locking traditional pattern where one handed opening is valued, in the same dimensions as slipjoints.
pftbahaa

Post by pftbahaa »

hoimin wrote:The beauty of the lip opening knife is that it can also be slow rolled (like a Spydiehole, thumbstud/disc) or detent-tuned to flip if that suits your fancy. Unless the tab flipper has an alternative opening method (a la Mantra 1, Southard, Advocate), you're stuck with flip deployment.

Admittedly, the hole and the lip opener cross streams in terms of the solution provided, just different trade offs in implementation. The hole looks like it has easier engineering and mechanics, at the cost (or benefit for ffg) of blade height. The lip opener is a bit more involved with stops and leverage and pivot distance but simpler to machine blade stock and has better size efficiency.

I think lip openers are perfect for the modern locking traditional pattern where one handed opening is valued, in the same dimensions as slipjoints.
+1. This guy gets it.

The only things I would add are the lip is more reliable and versatile than a normal flipper. You may use your thumb or index finger rather than just your index. The tab is completely exposed until the knife is fully opened allowing control of the speed and providing that reliability. You'll not have this knife open halfway on you unless that's what you choose.

I'd also add that I don't think it is superior to a spydie hole, it is just a personal preference. If made by Spyderco, the spydie hole would be a given in addition to the lip anyway. I'd like that as well. I definitely value a knife that can open in many ways. The more the merrier as I say.
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

The only value I can currently see in running both a functional Spydiehole and lip opener is if the hole is substantially submerged in the handle when closed and used more like a nail nick.