Which three Spyderco knives for a new user?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
EmperorMA

Which three Spyderco knives for a new user?

Post by EmperorMA »

I know there are a lot of different likes and tastes out there, but is there a consensus on a few Spyderco folders that are considered the "must-have" models? Are there some that are very good for those new to Spyderco knives to own first so they can more quickly understand the joy of ownership of these knives?

Even aside from that, do some of you have three models that you love best, regardless of what's best for a newbie? What are they and why?

This is good information for a new user to have so they can narrow their research and start concentrating on buying and using Spyderco knives. Hearing the ideas of others with experience is always the most helpful thing for me as I like to try and apply their experience to my own situation ad make decisions based on it.

What three models would you recommend to a noob? And, which three would be the first three you would say are your favorites? Which are must-haves for all collectors/users?

Please tell us which category your knives being mentioned are under for you and if you care to, tell us why you like and/or recommend them. Thanks!
Last edited by EmperorMA on Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wishlist: Delica 4 FFG VG10, Manix 2 LW XHP, Military 204P and S110V, Para 3 Cruwear and S110V, Paramilitary 2 (all versions), SpydieChef LC200N, Caribbean PE and Sheepsfoot SE

Procured: Caly 3.5 VG10, Dragonfly 2 LW VG10, Manix 2 XL S30V, Native 5 LW S110V, Para 3 S30V, Paramilitary 2 S110V
Ankerson

Re: Which three Spyderco knives for a new user?

Post by Ankerson »

Military, Endura and Stretch.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

PM2, Delica WC, Matriarch with a WM Signet Ring.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
EmperorMA

Post by EmperorMA »

Ankerson wrote:Military, Endura and Stretch.
Are these your three recommendations for a new user or your three favorites or your three "must-have" models?
Wishlist: Delica 4 FFG VG10, Manix 2 LW XHP, Military 204P and S110V, Para 3 Cruwear and S110V, Paramilitary 2 (all versions), SpydieChef LC200N, Caribbean PE and Sheepsfoot SE

Procured: Caly 3.5 VG10, Dragonfly 2 LW VG10, Manix 2 XL S30V, Native 5 LW S110V, Para 3 S30V, Paramilitary 2 S110V
EmperorMA

Post by EmperorMA »

holeshot wrote:PM2, Delica WC, Matriarch with a WM Signet Ring.
Are these your three recommendations for a new user or your three favorites or your three "must-have" models?

Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

EmperorMA wrote:
Ankerson wrote:Military, Endura and Stretch.

Must have models.
npad69

Post by npad69 »

3 recommendations for a new user:
Budget: Tenacious, Polestar, Raven 2
Mid range: Delica, Endura, Manix 2 LW
Upper mid range: PM3, PM2, Manix 2
Last edited by npad69 on Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

npad69 wrote:Budget: Tenacious, Polestar, Raven 2
Mid range: Delica, Endura, Manix 2 LW
Upper mid range: PM3, PM2, Manix 2
You nailed it
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
91bravo

Post by 91bravo »

Military, Manix and Endura
Afterman

Post by Afterman »

Tenacious, Paramiliary 2, Manix 2.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

There's no way I can give an unbiased opinion here so I'll just give you 3 that represent what I consider to be important size points, which are the Military, Dragonfly, and Ladybug/Manbug. These are 3 that I typically carry all at one time. The Ladybug is usually the ZDP version on my keys, the Dragonfly is the serrated Salt version, and the Military is usually the S110V but gets swapped out with 52100 and serrated S30V. I consider that to be a well rounded group that covers all the bases, from small "crap I forgot my knife but still have something on my keys" (Ladybug) to "I'm around people that may get freaked out if I pull out a large knife" (Dragonfly) to "no holds barred I need to split atoms" (Military).

Whatever you choose, I like to focus on size points because of various situations. There are a lot of options within those general sizes though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Timberline

Post by Timberline »

I'm kind of in that situation myself. I have an approx. 20 year old Spyderco Pro Hunter, & various other knives ranging from cheap giveaways to a couple nicer ones, but am new to current Spyderco offerings. The ones I chose, and am really happy with, are:

Blurple PM2 in S110V
Sage 5
Manix 2, carbon fiber/Cru-Wear from Knifecenter

The PM2 because it's kinda the quintessential Spyderco model, Sage 5 is more "gentlemen folder", I really love that one, light, compact, & love the wire clip! Got the Manix 2 kind of on impulse, but I LOVE the ball bearing lock, it's probably the sharpest factory edge I've ever received, & it's a big hefty user. I'll be interested to see how the Cru-Wear resharpens & acquires a patina.

Other models I'd like to add: Either a Lil Lum folder in the Nishijin scales, or one of the more decorative Chaparrals, for a "dressier" option, & maybe a Dragonfly

So many great choices!
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Keeping costs in mind for a starting collector, these are some great knives in the main categories to introduce anyone to Spyderco.

1 - Dragonfly
Great smaller EDC knife with a good blade steel and available in FRN, G10, SS, etc. at a good price.

2 - Para Military 2
Loved by many for good reasons.
Great all-round main EDC.

3 - Centofante 3
One of my favorite "budget" dress knives.
Good ergo's and not threatening to any non-knife people.

As far as personal favorites go, it's really, really hard to narrow it down to three. These are some of my favorites in similar categories in the same order as shown above:
Techno
Nirvana
Chaparral 3
Last edited by DutchBlades on Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

There's such a wide variety of sizes and styles I'd highly recommend looking through the catalog and specs to see what appeals to you. I understand that your asking for opinions to see what everyone else recommends but you're going to get a lot of different answers. Everyone likes something different depending on their preferences.

http://catalog.spyderco.com/productguide/
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
EmperorMA

Post by EmperorMA »

Evil D wrote:There's no way I can give an unbiased opinion here so I'll just give you 3 that represent what I consider to be important size points, which are the Military, Dragonfly, and Ladybug/Manbug. These are 3 that I typically carry all at one time. The Ladybug is usually the ZDP version on my keys, the Dragonfly is the serrated Salt version, and the Military is usually the S110V but gets swapped out with 52100 and serrated S30V. I consider that to be a well rounded group that covers all the bases, from small "crap I forgot my knife but still have something on my keys" (Ladybug) to "I'm around people that may get freaked out if I pull out a large knife" (Dragonfly) to "no holds barred I need to split atoms" (Military).

Whatever you choose, I like to focus on size points because of various situations. There are a lot of options within those general sizes though.
I did essentially this when I started looking just awhile ago. I went by size so I could have my bases covered for various tasks. I will eventually go to different steels and blade types as I get a more refined collection, but right now I need to cover the bases from 2" - 4" blades and I need stainless because these knives will spend a great deal of their time around and even in (fully-submersed) water.

1. Dragonfly2 - Just too good a knife not to own, and there is hardly ever a reason not to carry it. Mine is in VG10 PE, and the only other options that have caught my eye in this size range have been the Dfly2 in H1 SE and the one in G10 scales. The Cat model loos kind of cool, too.

2. Caly 3.5 - This knife just feels perfect in my hand and it also happens to be the longest legal blade in my area. Mine is in VG10/G10. I just as easily could've gone with Manix or PM2 here, and still might acquire one or both of those.

3. Native5 Lightweight - There are a few towns around here with 3" blade limits, so having this size makes great sense. This knife feels like it was made for me. It is light and carries easily, which is important to me. I could also go with Delica, Chaparral, Persistence, Para3, Sage, Caly3 or even a few others and I am sure I would be happy with any of them. I am most likely to have to multiple models in this size range in the future.

4. Endura/Pacific Salt/Military/Manix XL - I still need one big blade, but I haven't quite selected one yet. I have only handled Endura, Pac Salt and Military and am leaning slightly toward Endura due to its light weight and ease of carry. Millie is calling to me, though. :D
Last edited by EmperorMA on Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

awa54

Post by awa54 »

I'm cheating by offering alternates, but really *just three* is a pretty tall order!

so.... I'd suggest;

Urban LW or Dragonfly 2

Delica, any Delica!

PM2 or Manix2 G10
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

S110v Para 2, se Pacific Salt, and the cf Caly 3.5 only because it's easier on the pockets than the super blue. I know the topic is regarding folders, but the South Fork fixed blade is also imo a must have. With so many great choices limiting it to 3 is really difficult. The Delica, Dragonfly, and (and others) could just as easily been recommended. :spyder:
EmperorMA

Post by EmperorMA »

awa54 wrote:I'm cheating by offering alternates, but really *just three* is a pretty tall order!

so.... I'd suggest;

Urban LW or Dragonfly 2

Delica, any Delica!

PM2 or Manix2 G10
Alternates are good! The more to think about, the better.

EmperorMA

Post by EmperorMA »

Tdog wrote:S110v Para 2, se Pacific Salt, and the cf Caly 3.5 only because it's easier on the pockets than the super blue. I know the topic is regarding folders, but the South Fork fixed blade is also imo a must have. With so many great choices limiting it to 3 is really difficult. The Delica, Dragonfly, and (and others) could just as easily been recommended. :spyder:
Really interested to hear your thoughts on why you'd recommend these three, as they are all somewhat similar in size.

holeshot

Post by holeshot »

EmperorMA wrote:
holeshot wrote:PM2, Delica WC, Matriarch with a WM Signet Ring.
PM2 for EDC, Delica WC to back up the Delica and the Matriarch for SD. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"