Which three Spyderco knives for a new user?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DansGunBlog

Re: Which three Spyderco knives for a new user?

Post by DansGunBlog »

Great question. I actually just did an in-depth write-up specifically for newbies with the factors to consider, and my top 5 favorites across the board.

The top 5 contenders may surprise you. ;)

Shocking fact: it's a Spyderco-heavy list lol.

What’s The Best Everyday Carry Knife?

Would love any feedback in any direction or anything else you'd add to help those new knives (or not yet into) knives.

Have an awesome day!
Dan
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

DansGunBlog wrote:Great question. I actually just did an in-depth write-up specifically for newbies with the factors to consider, and my top 5 favorites across the board.

The top 5 contenders may surprise you. ;)

Shocking fact: it's a Spyderco-heavy list lol.

What’s The Best Everyday Carry Knife?

Would love any feedback in any direction or anything else you'd add to help those new knives (or not yet into) knives.

Have an awesome day!
Dan
1 thought. Is there a reason to buy a temperance anymore since you can get a mule, scales, and sheath all from spyderco now? They are making is super easy and you only pay 1 shipping cost. I hope they offer other color handles down the road...
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

The Mule might be considered a scaled down version of the Temp 2. When I got my Temp 2 the first thing that came to mind was "now THAT'S a serious chunk'o VG-10." As Dan stated the ergo's on the Temp 2 are fantastic. A great fixed blade knife.....as are the Mules.
EmperorMA

Post by EmperorMA »

OK, so a little scorecard for your entertainment:

#1: (tie!) Manix 2 and Paramilitary 2
#3: Delica
#4: (tie) Dragonfly 2 and Military
#6: Endura
#7: Pacific Salt SE
#8: Native 5
#9: Stretch
#10: (tie) Caly, Centofante, Chaparral, Ladybug, Sage, Tenacious

Some interesting observations:

The overwhelming favorite blade length is around 3 3/8" as embodied in Manix and PM2.

In the "just barely at or under 3" category, Delica rules. In fact, it got more votes than any two of its competitors combined. Maybe even any three.

Native 5 gets a lot of love from its owners, but not much love here. Is that a function of the popularity of slightly longer blades or is it the supremacy of Delica? This was the biggest eye opener for me and the only thing that changed my thinking in terms of what Spyderco knives I'll buy next.

You like small knives that are big punchers. Dfly2 and Delica being unquestionably at the top supports this hypothesis.

Size matters. The top five (better to use top six due to ties) had representatives from four distinctly different size categories.

The Caly family, seemingly revered, was barely more than an afterthought.

If a newbie who wants a good Spyderco start or an old-hand who wants the créme de la créme of Spyderco folders, he or she would buy:

Dragonfly 2
Delica 4
Manix 2 or PM2
Endura or Military or Pacific Salt SE

You could get one from each category for under $100, and we'll under $100 for most if you're on a budget.

This type of anecdotal data was exactly what I was looking for when I posted this thread.
Last edited by EmperorMA on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:54 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Wishlist: Delica 4 FFG VG10, Manix 2 LW XHP, Military 204P and S110V, Para 3 Cruwear and S110V, Paramilitary 2 (all versions), SpydieChef LC200N, Caribbean PE and Sheepsfoot SE

Procured: Caly 3.5 VG10, Dragonfly 2 LW VG10, Manix 2 XL S30V, Native 5 LW S110V, Para 3 S30V, Paramilitary 2 S110V
anycal

Post by anycal »

Nice analysis. Go Golden knives - PM and Manix!!!

Suprised about Native?!
Peter
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Too many great options to advise on just 3...

If I would have to ditch my entire Spydie collection and start with 3 first new ones it would be: Manix 2 backlock, Native 5 and Pacific Salt SE.
(I have been going more and more for backlocks since some time.. ;) )
4 and 5 would be: SE Delica wharncliffe and SE Dragonfly Salt.
LDB

Post by LDB »

Manix 2 or Manix 2 XL because it has such a great blade shape.

Endura because it's arguably the one knife that's the most "Spyderco" of all Spyderco knives.

Choice of Ladybug/Manbug if one wants a smaller option, Rescue Assist or Assist Salt if one wants a rescue knife option, Jumpmaster 2 if one wants a fixed blade, Advocate, Mantra or Southard if one wants a flipper, a Squarehead if one wants something really out there and different, Tatanka if one wants a really large blade folder, OR an as yet unnamed third round draft choice to be named at a later date.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Three, that's really tough. Does anybody own three or less Spydies? Ok; Dragonfly LW, Native 5 LW, and Paramilitary 2.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm going to be a bit more conservative than most of my well meaning Brethren>> because if you're just starting out using and collecting Spyderco blades then I would go slowly and with less expense. Also you don't need to get something brand new just right out of the gate. So for users in the folding knife sector I would first and foremost recommend the Golden, CO USA Earth made "NATIVE" model. No you don't have to go to the expense of a new NATIVE 5 which would indeed be a great investment for the long haul>> but there are a lot of slightly used NATIVE models out there at a pretty decent price range.

Check the exchange part of Bladeforums and get a Gold Membership it will open up a great marketplace for you. Other folders for a new guy starting out that would be nice to break in on are the Delica, Endura or even a C-36 Military model if you can get a good deal on one. Also keep in mind what your local laws are concerning blade length limits.

The NATIVE model in plain edge and also try out one in full Spyderedge ( serrated) are both excellent choices to get the hang of Spyderco's great blades. It's blade length is legal in almost all jurisdictions in the USA. You can also check Ebay and other auction sites for good deals on used units.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

1.Delica in ZDP189
2.Pacific Salt in spyderedge
3.Para2 or Millie in S110V
Revival

Post by Revival »

- Dragonfly 2
- Native 5 Lightweight/ Manix 2 Lightweight
- PM2
- if you need a serrated blade throw the Pacific Salut SE in the mix.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

DF2
Polestar
PM2
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Nirvana
Native 5 40th Anniversary CF
Chaparral Blue Stepped Titanium
Peter