Bob Lum Darn Dao

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JimJones

Re: Bob Lum Darn Dao

Post by JimJones »

As a huge Bob Lum fan I really hope this becomes a reality
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

It's definitely coming. Just don't know when.
JimJones

Post by JimJones »

Well I subscribed to this thread with the hopes that somebody replies when they become available because I know I will forget about this in 6 months when they hit the streets and then a year from now I’ll remember about it and go look it up only to find out that they are all sold out and discontinued. I can’t tell you how many times that has happened to me.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

Does anybody know the price?
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

and does anyone know the size of the Flash batch?
-Nick :bug-red
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Archimedes wrote:Does anybody know the price?
High enough to make me cry :D

As a black belt on traditional Vietnamese martial Arts I'd love to have one of these, but it's a long shot.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Depending on how hard they heat treated the 154cm you ought to be able to use that thing as a mini machete. It's a durable steel and it takes a nice sharp edge. I've got a bunch of emersons in 154cm.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Depending on how hard they heat treated the 154cm you ought to be able to use that thing as a mini machete. It's a durable steel and it takes a nice sharp edge. I've got a bunch of emersons in 154cm.
*My bad just noticed CPM 154 not 154cm. Should still be nice :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Knife Knut

Post by Knife Knut »

I hope it does not break my heart on price and availability.
h8speech

Post by h8speech »

Knife Knut wrote:I hope it does not break my heart on price and availability.
BladeHQ have it listed for $390. Ouch. Well, not every knife can be priced like the Sustain.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I wish I could afford. Beautiful blade.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Knife Knut

Post by Knife Knut »

BladeHQ have it listed for $390.
Heart broken :(
JimJones

Post by JimJones »

Anybody know what is a "Flash Batch" any word on expected production amount or an ETA on when these will hit the streets?
loremipsum

Post by loremipsum »

Just happened to hit this thread and finally registered after all the technical problems.

I guess the choice of material depends on the intended use. Dao (Darn Dao - single broadsword with one edge) is more or less a weapon design more than a woodsman's tool. With that in mind, I guess CPM154 is plenty good for that. Especially in the southern side of China, stainless steel is just a lifesaver.

However, I would like to know the maximum length the CPM154 could build - as people always say stainless steel can't flex well. I really hope to see Spyderco would produce a full sized Darn Dao (in CPM154!) one day as there are no good affordable alternative on the planet AFAIK.
dolor sit amet
spydieman

Post by spydieman »

Picked one up last night. Wow, this thing has great balance and deft. Looks heavy but feels surprisingly light and just flows great. Those wanting to use this as a chopper, you won't be disappointed. I haven't been able to take mine out of the plastic bag yet LOL. I handled the display though. It comes in a nice padded zipper case and the leather sheath appears to be great quality built for an easy draw. The polished G-10 handle (I thought it was Micarta) fits my hand great. I don't have many big blades to compare it to though.
Demon85z

Post by Demon85z »

spydieman wrote:Picked one up last night. Wow, this thing has great balance and deft. Looks heavy but feels surprisingly light and just flows great. Those wanting to use this as a chopper, you won't be disappointed. I haven't been able to take mine out of the plastic bag yet LOL. I handled the display though. It comes in a nice padded zipper case and the leather sheath appears to be great quality built for an easy draw. The polished G-10 handle (I thought it was Micarta) fits my hand great. I don't have many big blades to compare it to though.
Awesome!! Where did you get yours? I havent seen them available anywhere yet. How many were made? Serial numbered right?
:bug-red-white I collect them all, and use them all! I use the excuse, "I'm trying to find the perfect one", but in reality, they are all perfect in their own way!
spydieman

Post by spydieman »

Picked it up at Smokey Mountain Knife Works. The salesman told me there were 1200 made. Mine is number 276. He said they are the only ones with them in stock so far and that I was the first person to buy one. I asked for serial number 1 but it wasn't in their batch. They only had three or four of them. I checked online when I got home and I couldn't find any in stock anywhere else so he might have been telling the truth. I went to look at a Karahawk and YoJimbo. Got a Darn Dao and a Gayle Bradley Advocate instead LOL.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Are numbers 1-200 on the flash batches reserved for collector club members or are there separately numbered knives for them? Hmmm...
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Are numbers 1-200 on the flash batches reserved for collector club members or are there separately numbered knives for them? Hmmm...
They were not directly connected for the Lil Nilakka but that may have changed for this Lum. My CC number is 087 and I have the 0086 Lil Nilakka. In discussions with NGK about this, they said they submitted a request to Spyderco to get matched CC and flash batch numbers from here on out. So my guess is that they’re still not connected across the board.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
spydieman

Post by spydieman »

Demon85z wrote:Awesome!! Where did you get yours? I havent seen them available anywhere yet. How many were made? Serial numbered right?
I opened the plastic bag and it says "276 of 1200".