What the ****? A Back Lock Manix?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dreadpirate

What the ****? A Back Lock Manix?

Post by dreadpirate »

:eek: What's wrong with the current Manix 2?? Not for me!! I'll pass on the back lock and take the current ball bearing model thank you.
dreadpirate

Re: What the ****? A Back Lock Manix?

Post by dreadpirate »

And I am truly sorry if this puts anyone off - but that's my brutally honest reaction.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Nothing is wrong with the CBBL M2. A lot of people were asking for a back lock version (like the original) so Spyderco decided to give them what they were asking for. Not all models or variations are for everyone. One of the great things about Spyderco is that they offer something for everyone. I'm happy for those who are excited for the Manix back lock.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

No need to apologize, some pieces aren't for everyone, no biggie. That's why I like Spyderco, there's something for just about everyone. I may end up grabbing down the road but might not.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

farnorthdan wrote: That's why I like Spyderco, there's something for just about everyone.
I will definitely agree with you on that point!
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

You might, and I say might, be able to talk me into a compression lock Manix. But not a back lock.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I skipped the back lock too. The CBBL Manix 2 is one of my all time favorites.

But it sounds like some people are really into it, so good for them. :)
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I personally find the back lock easier to release one handed than either the CBBL or the compression lock, and I understand they were able to make it quite a bit lighter than the original, which I find to be a big plus. Add in the absence of the IMO overdone jimping of the CBBL Manix2 and I find myself interested in this one.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I consider the Manix nearest and dearest, but I really must have liners, so I'll just skip this one and hope to find an original at a price I can live with.

ETA: And I have found a sprint of the original...woohoo!
Last edited by wrdwrght on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

This is one I've wanted since the old one was discoed. I'm very happy about it and hope it sells well so we see sprints in other steels. I usually like full liners but this design should be great the way it is. I'm always confident in Spyderco's engineering. It will have more than enough strength and longevity for me. I haven't worn out a Spyderco yet.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The CBBL is nice, but the backlock might be a tad stronger, but that is beside the point. We will not have a rugged backlock design, incorporating the enhancements from the Native lock. It will have a strong bias to stay closed, which the Comp lock, liner lock, nor frame lock do not have. Many of us feel it is safer (from experience, I might add).This is a good thing if you carry a knife in your pocket. The CBBL is fine, but it does not quite have as good of closed blade retention. Still, it is a good lock. But, many of us prefer a properly executed backlock. It is more intuitive, and it is easy to use with gloves. There are a host of other reasons.

The good thing about this is that we now can choose a Manix 2 that is mission specific.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The General

Post by The General »

I have a Manix 1 and the lockback on that is obscenely strong and beefy. I'd wager it is stronger than the Manix 2 in testing.

I will be keeping a close eye on prices for the Manix 2 lockback. It's a knife I really want.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

dreadpirate wrote:You might, and I say might, be able to talk me into a compression lock Manix. But not a back lock.
That's alright, noone's twisting your arm or holding a gun to your head.
I like the original Manix, and hence the new back lock one. Would love a Manix 2 back lock with hollow/saber grind too.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

What kind of post is this? Just don't buy it.
- best wishes, Jazz.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

This post would only make sense if they were replacing the CBBL Manix with the Backlock Manix. Thankfully that is not the case and we can all sleep easy.... ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm a little let down that it isn't a CBBL because I've been begging for a linerless Manix 2 for years and that's one of my favorite locks. My only hesitation with buying one is that I've spent a lot of time and effort modding my current Manix 2 so it has a lot of compensation.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

dreadpirate wrote::eek: What's wrong with the current Manix 2?? Not for me!! I'll pass on the back lock and take the current ball bearing model thank you.
Aside from being sad, wimpy, watered down versions of the original Manix, there's nothing wrong with either the Manix 2 or the new Manix midlock.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

The Deacon wrote:
dreadpirate wrote::eek: What's wrong with the current Manix 2?? Not for me!! I'll pass on the back lock and take the current ball bearing model thank you.
Aside from being sad, wimpy, watered down versions of the original Manix, there's nothing wrong with either the Manix 2 or the new Manix midlock.
+1 Paul, lol this is why I skipped the manix 2
gmhauy

Post by gmhauy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:This post would only make sense if they were replacing the CBBL Manix with the Backlock Manix. Thankfully that is not the case and we can all sleep easy.... ;)
+1
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

The midlock version looks cool. I'm planning on picking one up in the next few months.