Lum Tanto...Yes or No

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Do you want the Bob Lum Tanto Folder to return? Yes or no?

Yes
79%
No
21%

Total votes: 155

Liquid Cobra

Re: Lum Tanto...Yes or No

Post by Liquid Cobra »

ohcyclist wrote:Given this model is produced in Japan I am guessing a local steel would be most likely and the lead time would be long even if we get a yes on this.
I'm used to waiting for knives. I'd be plenty happy to be waiting for one of these!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

ohcyclist wrote:Given this model is produced in Japan I am guessing a local steel would be most likely and the lead time would be long even if we get a yes on this.
Hap 40?
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

Yes for me. Maybe I'll get one this time around! I missed the originals and somehow also the sprint. third time is the charm.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I'd buy one..next year haha
Josh
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

TomAiello wrote:
Hap 40?
Hap 40 would be spectacular. And for once there might be less complains about a clad blade given that is traditional for some tantos.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

ohcyclist wrote:
TomAiello wrote:
Hap 40?
Hap 40 would be spectacular. And for once there might be less complains about a clad blade given that is traditional for some tantos.
Yes it would look great with the laminate line.

Seriously, how special would that knife be? Hap40 with a patina on a Lum Tanto? Drool!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Would love to get one of these!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
levs18

Post by levs18 »

I'm in, regardless of steel. My preference would be for something a bit more unique though, like hap40 or super blue.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

What if it were to use an American made steel shipped overseas? I'd imagine this would increase the price but Spyderco is doing it on other Japanese produced knives now. What about a tool steel is something with a lot of toughness since it's a Tanto ;)

@liquid_cobra
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Hap40 and micarta would be perfect. Antique Ivory would be great, but black linen would also look classy
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Yes, but only in gray G10 and Superblue or orange and Hap40 or something new, not VG10 please.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I voted YES and I'll tell you all the reason why I did for the return of the LUM C-46 Tanto folder to return to the main line up. With the recent talk of possibly introducing some of the newer Japanese supersteels I can't think of a Spyderco Japan made model that would be better to use to introduce all those newer/better Japanese blade steels.

Just like they use the C-36 Military model to introduce many of the newer/better supersteels that are pretty much exclusive to the American cutlery markets I do believe that the LUM Tanto folder or they could also use the LUM fixed blade as well for introducing these new and much talked about Japanese blade steels.

The only other Japan made model that I think would even come close to the Lum Tanto folder would be the POLICE model>> but I have no doubt that the LUM C-46 Tanto folder would be thee premium model to use to roll out the red carpet for new Japanese blade steels IMO.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

JD Spydo wrote:... I can't think of a Spyderco Japan made model that would be better to use to introduce all those newer/better Japanese blade steels.
Great thought! Sal? You hearin' this :)

But I'd buy one in Hap40 too!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Yes, but only in gray G10 and Superblue or orange and Hap40 or something new, not VG10 please.
+1, I really really want another Super Blue piece, the LT would be perfect, solid blade please. :) :spyder:
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
sal

Post by sal »

Bob Lum is one of the best knife designers ever, in my opinion. He had a great eye and we lost a treasure when he passed. We just released a baaby Chinese folder and we've got a Darn Dau in the works. I'm not opposed to another Lum, (next year of course ;) ) So lets see if we can nail down the materials. In addition to Titan, there's: carbon Nishijin, G-10, custom G-10, Zome, and others. More steels are possible now that the maker is branching out.

SSSsssooooooo. Whaddayawant?>

sal
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Hmm some kind of custom g10 and HAP40 sounds par for the course...
Josh
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Wow! This just took a fantastic turn! Liquid Cobra is going to love to hear that!

I, personally, wouldn't be too picky regarding what materials I'd like to see. Though I would love to see HAP40 or Superblue.
I also may be in the minority when I say I wouldn't mind an all black model making a return!
-Nick :bug-red
425KRS

Post by 425KRS »

How about a super blue and hap40 laminate?! That with some Carbon Nishijin scales would be absolutely amazing! Or or possible some black/grey or black/blue zome.

On a side note, I'd really like to see Vanax used at some point. Not sure how realistic that is, but I really want a Spyderco knife with that steel.

And what exactly is "Titan" that Sal mentioned?
:spyder:
soundshaman

Post by soundshaman »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
ohcyclist wrote:
TomAiello wrote:
Hap 40?
Yes it would look great with the laminate line.

Seriously, how special would that knife be? Hap40 with a patina on a Lum Tanto? Drool!
I second the idea of laminated HAP40. Would look a bit hammon like :)
I just want to add a plain edge lum tanto folder to my collection. I like the combo edge Ti version but PE would look nice too.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

woohoo!
I am not a fan of superblue, but hap40 would be a great choice. Anything tough that holds an edge for a long time. M4 or Cruwear class. Plain edge.
Handle - please NOT metal. G10 is fine but this will be a special piece so carbon fiber would be a great touch.