Lum Tanto...Yes or No

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Do you want the Bob Lum Tanto Folder to return? Yes or no?

Yes
79%
No
21%

Total votes: 155

ZrowsN1s

Re: Lum Tanto...Yes or No

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Zbob_lum_folding__tantol.jpg
more photoshop
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JimJones

Post by JimJones »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
more photoshop

Amazing
JimJones

Post by JimJones »

Just had a brain storm. Anybody else think it would be cool for them to put a little notch in front of the Spydie hole that you could use to open a beer with?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JimJones wrote:Just had a brain storm. Anybody else think it would be cool for them to put a little notch in front of the Spydie hole that you could use to open a beer with?
I've seen people use Emerson openers this way. Also seen clips and even the inside liner used.

As for the Tanto, if there ever was a knife I really liked but would probably never buy or use, this is it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

*My apologies for not including a Hamon in last photoshop. :D

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
more photoshop
I love the look of this and would be very pleased with something like it as the final product. However, many folks have complained about how easily the light grey g10 on the last knife became dirty looking so quickly. So Spyderco may want to consider that.

I'm still think the dark grey g10 used on the cruwear PM2 would suit this knife well.

And as far as a bottle opener goes...respectfully, no thank you!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

JimJones wrote:Just had a brain storm. Anybody else think it would be cool for them to put a little notch in front of the Spydie hole that you could use to open a beer with?
NO

I like the clean lines it has as designed by Mr. Lum. I have no interest in opening a beer with my blade.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Sorry but that would desecrate the Tanto! No offense.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

If you can't open a beer with a normal knife you really shouldn't drink that beer ;)
animportant

Post by animportant »

We need to make this happen, should be a carbon steel blade. Better yet, just make it out of hamahagane.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It would be pretty cool if it had a real hamon line. I'm usually not big on laminate blades but something like how Kershaw were doing their blades a while back would be so right on a knife like this.

Make the bottom half carbon steel so it takes a patina. I'm sure this will never happen since it's kind of a Kershaw thing but it would suit the knife.
~David
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

You know D, I have one of those Leeks, and I've always wondered about the structural integrity of such a blade. It's two steels brazed together with what I believe is copper. It definitely looks cool and is certainly a nice idea functionally, but I wonder if it creates a weak spot that could potentially fail if one were to accidentally torque the blade the wrong way. Purposefully prying or twisting hard, OK you deserve it, but I don't want something I need to be overly cautious with. I plan to use my Lum Tanto (he said, presumptuously), and with such a large blade, there is potential for greater forces being put on it. Anyone have any input on the strength of such construction?
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

PayneTrain wrote:You know D, I have one of those Leeks, and I've always wondered about the structural integrity of such a blade. It's two steels brazed together with what I believe is copper. It definitely looks cool and is certainly a nice idea functionally, but I wonder if it creates a weak spot that could potentially fail if one were to accidentally torque the blade the wrong way. Purposefully prying or twisting hard, OK you deserve it, but I don't want something I need to be overly cautious with. I plan to use my Lum Tanto (he said, presumptuously), and with such a large blade, there is potential for greater forces being put on it. Anyone have any input on the strength of such construction?

I've wondered the same but I think that's the point behind the puzzle shaped braze line, the pieces sort of interlock. I definitely wouldn't trust it with a straight line joint. I've never seen or heard of one breaking.
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Some more color examples from the photo shop. Any color requests?

Zbob_lum_SlateBlue.jpg
Zbob_lum_red.jpg
zbob_lum_olive.jpg
Zbob_lum_folding__moonglow.jpg
zbob_lum_grey.jpg

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

zbob_lum_orng.jpg
zbob_lum_Lime.jpg
Zbob_lum_folding__forrestgreen.jpg
zbob_lum_lightblue.jpg

PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Well if you're taking requests... :D how about a tan or khaki color? Am I alone on this? I think it would look very stylish!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

olive looks like mine (the one I want). Tan will be good too :)
JimJones

Post by JimJones »

I like the white version
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I like the white too.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

PayneTrain wrote:Well if you're taking requests... :D how about a tan or khaki color? Am I alone on this? I think it would look very stylish!
Zbob_lum_folding__tan.jpg