Lum Tanto...Yes or No

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Do you want the Bob Lum Tanto Folder to return? Yes or no?

Yes
79%
No
21%

Total votes: 155

dogrunner

Re: Lum Tanto...Yes or No

Post by dogrunner »

D-Roc wrote:I've got four of them, but I think a VG10 with some type of carbon laminated would be good.
For a special re-run like this, I would greatly prefer a steel upgrade. VG10 is an ok steel and better than most cheaper or comparable economy steels, but by today's standards it is nothing special. There are so many better choices now, whatever your functional objectives are. This thread already mentions a lot of better choices.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

dogrunner wrote: There are so many better choices now, whatever your functional objectives are.
Well, not necessarily. VG-10 is a good performer, but it also takes a really nice finish and while I'll of course use this knife, it will be one of the few that I would like to look good while doing it. The finish on my Starmate is just mesmerizing. VG-10 may actually be the best choice for me, but unfortunately I have to share :). Harder steels come with rougher grind lines, and laminates come with more scratches. And I certainly don't want anything non-stainless here! If you put a poll up, I'd actually probably vote VG-10.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

PayneTrain wrote:
dogrunner wrote: There are so many better choices now, whatever your functional objectives are.
Well, not necessarily. VG-10 is a good performer, but it also takes a really nice finish and while I'll of course use this knife, it will be one of the few that I would like to look good while doing it. The finish on my Starmate is just mesmerizing. VG-10 may actually be the best choice for me, but unfortunately I have to share :). Harder steels come with rougher grind lines, and laminates come with more scratches. And I certainly don't want anything non-stainless here! If you put a poll up, I'd actually probably vote VG-10.
Yes that would be my main concern with a laminated blade, the scratches. I mean, knives get scratched, it's a fact of life, but the steel used on laminated blades scratch before you get them out of the box!

I'd be willing to suffer the scratches though. I just want the knife! :D :D :D
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Liquid Cobra wrote: I'd be willing to suffer the scratches though. I just want the knife! :D :D :D
Oh goodness yes! The only thing that will keep me from buying this knife will be if it comes in too expensive during an unfortunate personal economic period, and even then I may find a way! I can walk to work for a while. :)
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Oh, and Hamon, don't forget the Hamon ;)

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Hold on there, thread! Where do you think you're going?

Has a folder ever been done with a hamon? Is it possible? Practical? ...Expensive? :eek:
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Bless your heart PayneTrain!

So Sal, does anything mentioned so far sound like it could work?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Is a laminated blade practical in a liner lock configuration? Would you not get different wear rates across the lock face?

If I could choose I would take polished black G10 and solid ZDP please!
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

PayneTrain wrote:Hold on there, thread! Where do you think you're going?

Has a folder ever been done with a hamon? Is it possible? Practical? ...Expensive? :eek:
1. Yes, can't remember by who though MCusta?
2. Obviously
3. Can't tell if it's redundant with todays steels, just like damascus, more a cosmetic nowadays
4. I wish i knew :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

I'd be interested in Lum Tanto folder, I own the burgundy paperstone fixed blade

ZDP would be great, VG10 is OK, please no gray handle, carbon fiber maybe

PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Brock O Lee wrote:Is a laminated blade practical in a liner lock configuration? Would you not get different wear rates across the lock face?
You know, that is a fair point. I don't think we've seen anything other than back locks which engage the whole tang. I wonder if that's a real issue or if the layers are proportioned in such a way that any properly functioning liner lock will be doing its real work only on the harder core, and at the very worst there might just be a little bump at the transition before it engages securely. Or maybe the wear just won't even be noticeable over the typical life cycle of a knife. Or...maybe it will. :(

I don't like how this thread keeps sliding off page 1. Have we really maxed out interest in this idea? I know it's not a conventional user, but I have enough of those already! I've been wanting this model for its style and character, so I can carry something special on big knife days. I bet the tanto blade shape is probably more popular among fans of brands other than Spyderco, but this one hardly the same overstated angular monstrosity that the "tactical" crowd buys. This baby's got class! Let's give it a shot, eh?
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I think it'll be fine. It's not like it is wheelweight alloy + HAP-40 :)
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Agree - let;s keep the dream alive :)
Personally I don't care one way or another about a hamon. I just like the blade design! Make it in a top-tier steel and I'll buy one!!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Bless your heart PayneTrain!

So Sal, does anything mentioned so far sound like it could work?
Ya, are we barking up the right tree here or should we dial it back a bit? :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
BrandoSpoke

Post by BrandoSpoke »

looks great
"If you talk all the time, you will never hear what anybody else has to say, and therefore, all you'll have to talk about is your own conversation."
-Alan Watts
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

*Photoshop Bump*
zBLTzome.jpg
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

PayneTrain wrote:Hold on there, thread! Where do you think you're going?

Michael Burch (designer of the Chubby) puts a hamon on a lot of his custom folders, so it's possible and has been done. Now, as to the price that would add to a knife, I have no idea, but I think they look great.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
razrman8

Post by razrman8 »

In hopes to bring my favorite model back in the future, I'm definitely advocating for the return of the Lum Tanto. I remember having a conversation with Sal at SFO and conversing about this being my favorite model. I've been holding onto the hope of bringing it back. I know I'd be in for at least 3.
JimJones

Post by JimJones »

The Bob Lum tanto is tied with the Ed Schempp navaja for my favorite Spyderco of all time.

My thoughts
Hap 40 for sure. Anything except s30. Vg10 for sure by a mile over s30 any day of the week. Nishjin handles would be cool as long as it’s not the grey colored ones. When i look at grey Nishjin there is just no life in it compared to blue Nishjin. Don’t know if it is possible but i think it would be really cool if you could do blue Nishjin with the stitching in orange. I think a two tone would be sweet. But from a user standpoint Nishjin is not my favorite. Any light colored g10 or micarta would be cool. Something that pays tribute to the light grey from the original. I like the ideas posted above about polished white or antique ivory

Most importantly Please make the pocket clip reversible for left or right tip up carry this time.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I would take blue nishijin. Blue weave CF as well! Love those looks, but do not have any yet. Still though, I feel like this one might look better in a more conservative handle.