Lum Tanto...Yes or No

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Do you want the Bob Lum Tanto Folder to return? Yes or no?

Yes
79%
No
21%

Total votes: 155

Unbrokenchain33

Re: Lum Tanto...Yes or No

Post by Unbrokenchain33 »

Love it, just wish it were closer to 2.5"-3" inches!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Well that pic confirms the drilled out liners
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Looks pretty good!
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
mb1

Post by mb1 »

$219.95
- Mark

Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

mb1 wrote:$219.95
According to... who?
EDIT: Except you.. :)
Last edited by Larry_Mott on Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

BHQ post on Instagram.
- Mark

Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

mb1 wrote:BHQ post on Instagram.
Oh, ok, thanks!
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I’m not sure if it’s just the photo, but the grind looks different than the original.

This actually looks really great though. Such an amazing design. I’m getting on for sure (if I can get it to canada) but I really hope Spyderco sells other versions of this.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I'm not sure i'm a fan of using a laminated steel on this one. i would think whatever the closest japanese equivalent to M4, Cruwear, or Maxamet (whatever those may be??) would be a good choice. Or maybe I dont know what the **** im talking about. :P

What would the main functions be for a Tanto like this? What would this excel at vs. your typical PM2 type blade?
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

steelcity16 wrote:I'm not sure i'm a fan of using a laminated steel on this one. i would think whatever the closest japanese equivalent to M4, Cruwear, or Maxamet (whatever those may be??) would be a good choice. Or maybe I dont know what the **** im talking about. :P

What would the main functions be for a Tanto like this? What would this excel at vs. your typical PM2 type blade?
Hap40 is kind of an M4 Japanese equivalent.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

steelcity16 wrote:

A Tanto grind/blade is much stronger than a PM2 blade due to less tapering. It should be much stronger if you stab the blade into a tree trunk and yank it out slightly sideways (not saying it is good practice to do that, but still)

Re the BladeHQ one i am for some reason not as excited as i felt i should be.. Looks like there's no Hamaguri grind on the tip and jade scales has never been my cup of tea.. We'll see.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:I'm not sure i'm a fan of using a laminated steel on this one. i would think whatever the closest japanese equivalent to M4, Cruwear, or Maxamet (whatever those may be??) would be a good choice. Or maybe I dont know what the **** im talking about. :P

Hap40 is kind of an M4 Japanese equivalent.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. But maybe a solid slab rather than laminate? I mean they've done solid Superblue. Have they ever done a solid Hap40?
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Larry_Mott wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:

A Tanto grind/blade is much stronger than a PM2 blade due to less tapering. It should be much stronger if you stab the blade into a tree trunk and yank it out slightly sideways (not saying it is good practice to do that, but still)

Re the BladeHQ one i am for some reason not as excited as i felt i should be.. Looks like there's no Hamaguri grind on the tip and jade scales has never been my cup of tea.. We'll see.
Yeah, thats what I pictured. Seems like a great candidate to try some CPM 3V.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

See what i mean?

PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

LC, if you can't get one into Canada, I will personally drive it to you! Thank you for championing this great cause which ended in almost the exact configuration I dreamed of. It's more than I like to spend, but I like this knife more than I like most knives. I'll be circling BHQ like a hawk till this baby drops!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Whitetail addict

Post by Whitetail addict »

Id love to get one! We will see if I can get it into canada.
@martial_logan on the instagram.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Larry_Mott wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:

Haha - that's actually how my son learned not to pry with a knife. He broke the tip off his tanto folder trying to free a crossbow bolt from an oak tree. :confused: :rolleyes: While I was taking a nap of course.
- Mark

Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

PayneTrain wrote:LC, if you can't get one into Canada, I will personally drive it to you! Thank you for championing this great cause which ended in almost the exact configuration I dreamed of. It's more than I like to spend, but I like this knife more than I like most knives. I'll be circling BHQ like a hawk till this baby drops!
You’re too kind! Thanks for the kind offer and kind words. I hope I don’t have to take you up on that!

:D

@liquid_cobra
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Tip strength is one of the reasons why this configuration might kick the PM2 out of rotation. That, plus that sweet hollow grind.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Looks great to me. Hap40 is a good and somewhat expected choice for a BHQ exclusive if it had to be a Japanese steel and not M4. Thank you BHQ and spyderco - I hope to be getting my 1st LT (lum tanto folder, not lil temp ;) )