Lum Tanto...Yes or No

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Do you want the Bob Lum Tanto Folder to return? Yes or no?

Yes
79%
No
21%

Total votes: 155

PayneTrain

Re: Lum Tanto...Yes or No

Post by PayneTrain »

Yep, that's it right there! Thanks Z!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Wow the khaki and the various greens looks really nice too. I would be thrilled with any of these colors.
JimJones

Post by JimJones »

What about blue / orange Nishijin? Also can you add pocket clip screw holes on the left side so we can see what that looks like?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

JimJones wrote:What about blue / orange Nishijin? Also can you add pocket clip screw holes on the left side so we can see what that looks like?
Hmm. That may be beyond the abilities of the photo editor I use on my cellphone, I'll give it a shot when I have some time.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Icky Thump

Post by Icky Thump »

Yes, most definitely.

Im in the minority of believing the American Tanto design is very functional beyond a defensive role..makes a great utility blade.

Mr Lum will remain forever as one of my most favorite designers. Regretted never owning one of these.

Would love and encourage a run of these iconic folders.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I like the traditional tanto blade far better than the bastardized/American version (angular vs rounded "front edge")
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Icky Thump

Post by Icky Thump »

I like and prefer the traditional Tanto shape..although I do like the American style as well...and think it has a valid, functional niche.

"Bastardized" seems a bit harsh..This is a Lum design after all...

Trust in Lum.

Trust in Sal.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
JimJones wrote:What about blue / orange Nishijin? Also can you add pocket clip screw holes on the left side so we can see what that looks like?
Hmm. That may be beyond the abilities of the photo editor I use on my cellphone, I'll give it a shot when I have some time.
Turned out better than I thought. Wasn't able to do the pocket clip holes though (or hamon yet).
Zbob_lum_folding__n-b.jpg
Zbob_lum_folding__n-r.jpg
Zbob_lum_folding__n-g.jpg
Zbob_lum_folding__n-o.jpg
Zbob_lum_folding__n-white.jpg

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
pdptrow

Post by pdptrow »

Yes please. I would like at Right / Left clip option though please. And echo for a nice sprint steel. Awesome knife I love the traditional tanto shape.
JimJones

Post by JimJones »

Wow....

love the blue and green
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Awesome job ZrowsN1s, any chance you could photoshop one up with peel-ply CF scales? Thanks!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'll see what I can do.

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Freediver wrote:Awesome job ZrowsN1s, any chance you could photoshop one up with peel-ply CF scales? Thanks!
Zbob_lum_folding__cf.jpg
the weave is a little large, best I could do.

Freediver

Post by Freediver »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Freediver wrote:Awesome job ZrowsN1s, any chance you could photoshop one up with peel-ply CF scales? Thanks!
Zbob_lum_folding__cf.jpg
the weave is a little large, best I could do.

Looks great, thanks!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Freediver wrote:YES PLEASE. I would honestly be happy with any configuration, however a m390 with CF scales would be amazing.
Well Brother I think you've hit that one out of the park with men on base :cool: As much as I've fallen deeply in love with my M390 Military model I can't even imagine how much I would love a C-46 Lum Tanto folder in M390 :cool:

But I'm also still open to using some really high end Japanese supersteel on this bad boy. I never liked Tanto style blades until I got my first C-46 Lum tanto>> now it's in my main rotation. And I even love my older ATS-55 model>> I can only imagine how much more I would love one with a true supersteel blade.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Nope, I had my tanto-period in the nineties.....cold steels mainly, but also a BM cqc7 and the spydie Ti ATS 55 Lum folder.....tanto is (IMHO) not much of an EDC useable knife unless you know how to use it and that is mainly as a weapon.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

toomzz wrote:Nope, I had my tanto-period in the nineties.....cold steels mainly, but also a BM cqc7 and the spydie Ti ATS 55 Lum folder.....tanto is (IMHO) not much of an EDC useable knife unless you know how to use it and that is mainly as a weapon.
I must respectfully disagree.

I must also say how happy I am to see that this thread continues to grow.

Peel ply cf is something I never considered. I think that would look great. A clasy material for a classy knife. Has Spyderco ever produced a peel ply cf in Japan?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

I also disagree - it all depends on what your EDU is (every day use). I prefer a classic tanto but the Lum really appeals to me and I often find the forward edge useful.
Yeah, peel-ply CF is something spyderco does really well. Put that with cruwear, M4 or 4V class steel!!!
levs18

Post by levs18 »

I'm normally not the biggest fan of the peel ply cf, but I think it could work on this. I just hope for a color combo that keeps it classy, nothing too bright.
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

M390 would be outstanding if possible. But likely very expensive. For similar expense are there japanease super steels like sg2 that could be in the mix?

If cf is in the mix, I find the Carly 3.5 with cf and zdp to have very attractive and somewhat understated handle scales.