The Advocate - An Official Statement from Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TBob

Re: The Advocate - An Official Statement from Spyderco

Post by TBob »

My Advocate hasn't left my pocket since it arrived. Plan is to rotate EDC between the Advocate, Southard BB, and Slysz Bowie. All three are awesome knives.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
archangel

Post by archangel »

Just wanted to let you know that the Advocate is by far my most beloved fiddling toy at home, on the couch at evening hours. It's close to perfection. I haven't the slightest that I made the right choice with it for the M4 spot of my collection.

Me happy. :)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
JimP

Post by JimP »

I agree, the Advocate is simply a fantastic design, so slim and comfortable in hand, multiple opening methods, finger choil, almost all the things on my flipper wish list....It really would be perfect for me and my uses if it was offered with a stainless blade, M390 or whatever really, the M4 limits its perceived usefulness and possibly its wider audience IMO.

Ok, while I'm at it, it would be nice to see a workhorse Advocate offered with stonewashed handle (those bling edges on the handles can blind you when used outside!) and blade, a la the Slysz Bowie and I think it's overdue to have ceramic detents on all Spyderco knives and ceramic bearings in all Spyderco flippers. The stainless detent balls on my user Spydies show flattening wear which is not present on my much cheaper China flippers with ceramic, also ceramic is far smoother for this purpose.
skybladefromthe

Post by skybladefromthe »

palonej wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:27 pm
I have had the un re vamped version for around 6 months. The knife has been amazing from day one.....truly.
It flips most excellently. Locks up stupid tight. And best of all it slices like a laser.
I haven't adjusted anything and have carried and used it plenty. The knife is a joy and you guys are going to love it.
Joe
I have had mine a week or so and it's turned into sort of a slim titanium PM2. It's hard to describe. It's not perfect but it's excellent IMHO.

:) :spyder: ...Favorite knife is the PM2 smooth cruwear.
sok

Post by sok »

skybladefromthe wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:38 pm
palonej wrote:
I have had the un re vamped version for around 6 months. The knife has been amazing from day one.....truly.
It flips most excellently. Locks up stupid tight. And best of all it slices like a laser.
I haven't adjusted anything and have carried and used it plenty. The knife is a joy and you guys are going to love it.
Joe
I have had mine a week or so and it's turned into sort of a slim titanium PM2. It's hard to describe. It's not perfect but it's excellent IMHO.

I have had my Advocate about the same. A week or so.It is excellent. I have a great battle going on right now between it and a smooth scaled PM2.
skybladefromthe

sok wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:50 am
skybladefromthe wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:38 pm
palonej wrote:
Joe

I have had my Advocate about the same. A week or so.It is excellent. I have a great battle going on right now between it and a smooth scaled PM2.
Sok
Haha that's cool! You know what I'm trying to say. Sometimes you just have to carry two. Thanks for the pic!
skybladefromthe

:) :spyder:
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

I don't own an advocate but I've handled several at stores; they seem fine.
That said at that price point one expects no flaws, these knives are very expensive. I applaud spyderco trying to resolve any issues with the knives pivot.

Lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

My much awaited Advocate finally arrived yesterday much to my excitement as it’s the first flipper I’ve ever owned. The knife is as perfect a specimen as a production knife gets I reckon but I’m left scratching my head at how awkward and uncomfortable it is to disengage the lock.

I have medium sized hands without underlying injuries, no arthritis, good grip strength, excellent dexterity, but plucked if I can get a decent purchase on the tiny tab to unlock the knife. Quite a bizarre set up. :confused:

I can disengage the lock no worries but it’s wreaking havoc on my thumb nail. :eek:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
PStone

Post by PStone »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:53 pm
My much awaited Advocate finally arrived yesterday much to my excitement as it’s the first flipper I’ve ever owned. The knife is as perfect a specimen as a production knife gets I reckon but I’m left scratching my head at how awkward and uncomfortable it is to disengage the lock.

I have medium sized hands without underlying injuries, no arthritis, good grip strength, excellent dexterity, but plucked if I can get a decent purchase on the tiny tab to unlock the knife. Quite a bizarre set up. :confused:

I can disengage the lock no worries but it’s wreaking havoc on my thumb nail. :eek:
I felt the same way when I first got mine a couple months ago. By the end of my third day with it, no longer was an issue. Not sure if it just needed a little break in period, or I developed a callous. Either way, any time I pocket it now, it’s a lot easier to operate.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Broke down and ordered one before they're all gone. I had a first gen. Didn't like the action and didn't like the lockbar for disengagement. I think at the close out price I'll be pleased. Already got the Mantra 2 and while it's got flaws, it's still a good deal for the CPM-M4.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:44 pm
I felt the same way when I first got mine a couple months ago. By the end of my third day with it, no longer was an issue. Not sure if it just needed a little break in period, or I developed a callous. Either way, any time I pocket it now, it’s a lot easier to operate.
Thanks, McGrit! Hopefully it’ll pan out OK because other than disengaging the lock I like the knife. :)
PStone

Post by PStone »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:00 pm
DirtMcGirt wrote:
Thanks, McGrit! Hopefully it’ll pan out OK because other than disengaging the lock I like the knife. :)
Also was the same experience with the GB2. That file worked liner wreaked havoc on my thumb for the first day or two. But same result. I don’t even notice it now. Became one of my faves to carry.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:11 pm
Bloke wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:00 pm
DirtMcGirt wrote:
Also was the same experience with the GB2. That file worked liner wreaked havoc on my thumb for the first day or two. But same result. I don’t even notice it now. Became one of my faves to carry.
Thanks again mate! :)

I've been thinking about a GB2 for a while now and just by coincidence one of the members here sent me a little video clip of one this morning. :cool:
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

I've been enjoying the Advocate I got recently. The discontinued pricing was hard to pass up. I haven't had any trouble with the lock.

CPM-M4 is probably my favorite steel, but it will patina for me over time. My GB1 certainly has some patina. I'm expecting the Advocate to look like this within a year or two.