The Advocate - An Official Statement from Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bodog

Re: The Advocate - An Official Statement from Spyderco

Post by Bodog »

paladin wrote:
Bodog wrote:
dplafoll wrote:
Bodog wrote:I was a door to door vacuum cleaner salesman for a bit. It sucked so I moved on.
Was uh.... was that on purpose? :p

I wish I was that clever...

But seriously, I couldn't ever sell cars for a living. Selling my own car was bad enough. It drove me crazy.
....you did it again...this is classic! LMMFAO :p :p :p

Yeah dude, for awhile I thought about selling tools but I was tired of being a salesman. So I said screw it. I joined the military instead so I didn't have to do anything anymore. To my surprise it took the life out of me. I got out and went into law enforcement. It sure beats everything else I've done.

No pun intended. I'm pretty sure that's how it works.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
araneae

Post by araneae »

SolidState wrote:My smoothest flipper is an Introvert, and it has no bearings. :cool:

And so fast...
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
paladin

Post by paladin »

Bodog wrote:
paladin wrote:
Bodog wrote:
dplafoll wrote:
Bodog wrote:I was a door to door vacuum cleaner salesman for a bit. It sucked so I moved on.
Was uh.... was that on purpose? :p

I wish I was that clever...

But seriously, I couldn't ever sell cars for a living. Selling my own car was bad enough. It drove me crazy.
....you did it again...this is classic! LMMFAO :p :p :p

Yeah dude, for awhile I thought about selling tools but I was tired of being a salesman. So I said screw it. I joined the military instead so I didn't have to do anything anymore. To my surprise it took the life out of me. I got out and went into law enforcement. It sure beats everything else I've done.

No pun intended. I'm pretty sure that's how it works.
Ok...so now it's not as funny knowing you're doing it on purpose.
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
palonej

Post by palonej »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I mentioned his former employment in the other thread. I sold cars myself and wasn't putting car salesmen down. He presents himself as an expert and I do not see why. It seems as though others see him as an expert too.

http://knifenews.com/spyderco-withdraws ... ot-issues/

"Spyderco announced that it has suspended production of their Gayle Bradley-designed Advocate model after Rob Bixby of TheApostleP YouTube channel and others brought attention to issues with the ball bearing pivot. The company says they will begin working on a redesign of the pivot area to increase long-term reliability."

" Bixby tells us that the Advocate’s strong lock bar tension, overall thinness, and the delicacy of its ball bearings combine to pose a seemingly insurmountable engineering challenge. “I’m a bit skeptical, given the small material thickness of the Ti scales, that Spyderco can engineer a ball bearing pivot system that is robust enough to make a solid knife,” Bixby says. “I would prefer to see a phosphor bronze washer pivot, and maybe even in a non-flipper version of the Advocate, similar in construction to a Sage 2 or Slysz Bowie. We’ll keep our fingers crossed!” "

Apparently he knows more about engineering and design than Sal, Eric, Gayle and all the other folks in Taichung and Golden? Where did he acquire this expertise? The dealership? Youtube? You can continue to demonize those who don't agree with your point of view but it is a low tactic. I wasn't putting him down I was referencing his experience. As a customer and even as a knife reviewer he has every right to give feedback and share criticism but at some point you have to have some boundaries. I feel as though he went well past constructive criticism and honest feedback and moved into sensationalizing a problem to further his own venture and I think he lacks the background to be saying some of what he is saying.

That isn't even touching on the fact that if he really had Spyderco's best interest at heart like he claims that he wouldn't be using inflammatory click bait to get views and grow his channel. That only helps him and only hurts Spyderco. That is NOT constructive.

I am starting to feel like a broken record, how about you? ;)
Couldn't agree more Darby and cannot fathom how some Spydie fans buy into his BS.
All I had to see were the titles of those vids. CONSUMER ALERT!!!! Really???
I also loved, Spyderco Calling Their Customers Idiots!!!! Come on, that is nothing but click bait.
After the way Sal, and Spyderco, have been oozing integrity for all these years, it changes because a You Boober says so???
I don't think so. Sal said weeks ago that they were on it. That was enough for me. I trust Spydie, and that won't change, no matter what a knife reviewer says.
Joe
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

palonej wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:I mentioned his former employment in the other thread. I sold cars myself and wasn't putting car salesmen down. He presents himself as an expert and I do not see why. It seems as though others see him as an expert too.

http://knifenews.com/spyderco-withdraws ... ot-issues/

"Spyderco announced that it has suspended production of their Gayle Bradley-designed Advocate model after Rob Bixby of TheApostleP YouTube channel and others brought attention to issues with the ball bearing pivot. The company says they will begin working on a redesign of the pivot area to increase long-term reliability."

" Bixby tells us that the Advocate’s strong lock bar tension, overall thinness, and the delicacy of its ball bearings combine to pose a seemingly insurmountable engineering challenge. “I’m a bit skeptical, given the small material thickness of the Ti scales, that Spyderco can engineer a ball bearing pivot system that is robust enough to make a solid knife,” Bixby says. “I would prefer to see a phosphor bronze washer pivot, and maybe even in a non-flipper version of the Advocate, similar in construction to a Sage 2 or Slysz Bowie. We’ll keep our fingers crossed!” "

Apparently he knows more about engineering and design than Sal, Eric, Gayle and all the other folks in Taichung and Golden? Where did he acquire this expertise? The dealership? Youtube? You can continue to demonize those who don't agree with your point of view but it is a low tactic. I wasn't putting him down I was referencing his experience. As a customer and even as a knife reviewer he has every right to give feedback and share criticism but at some point you have to have some boundaries. I feel as though he went well past constructive criticism and honest feedback and moved into sensationalizing a problem to further his own venture and I think he lacks the background to be saying some of what he is saying.

That isn't even touching on the fact that if he really had Spyderco's best interest at heart like he claims that he wouldn't be using inflammatory click bait to get views and grow his channel. That only helps him and only hurts Spyderco. That is NOT constructive.

Couldn't agree more Darby and cannot fathom how some Spydie fans buy into his BS.
All I had to see were the titles of those vids. CONSUMER ALERT!!!! Really???
I also loved, Spyderco Calling Their Customers Idiots!!!! Come on, that is nothing but click bait.
After the way Sal, and Spyderco, have been oozing integrity for all these years, it changes because a You Boober says so???
I don't think so. Sal said weeks ago that they were on it. That was enough for me. I trust Spydie, and that won't change, no matter what a knife reviewer says.
Joe
Why are you so bent on insulting people? What are you helping by insulting someone who brought up good points? I find his reaction a little ridiculous but come on, any kind of reaction about knives is a little ridiculous, myself included. Whatever you think you're bringing to the table, it's worse than ApostleP. At least he's trying to help in his own way. Are you?
palonej

Post by palonej »

Like I do with you, gladly, please ignore me.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Bodog wrote:...

Why are you so bent on insulting people? What are you helping by insulting someone who brought up good points? I find his reaction a little ridiculous but come on, any kind of reaction about knives is a little ridiculous, myself included. Whatever you think you're bringing to the table, it's worse than ApostleP. At least he's trying to help in his own way. Are you?
I was gonna stay out of this one as I have no experience, or desire to attain said experience, around these knives but I just find myself compelled to comment. I've been around forums a loooong time and I have to say, you are one of the most skilled antagonists I've encountered. I modded a few forums and dealt with all manner of flare ups on a routine basis. Typically, they are pretty easy to sort out but sometimes they get sticky and every once in a while you get a deft keyboardist and it is almost admirable to behold. The self-righteousness is almost fascinating to experience.

No one who is not in staunch agreement with you can assail the moral high ground as you have firmly planted your flags all around it and peed on every bush. You fall back to the seemingly lofty position of loving Spyderco and only wanting the best for them and us and this should absolve you of all pretense that you simply cannot let anything go. You're a bobber fisherman, not a troller. You bait your hooks and cast them out with patience.

You're doing no more now to help Spyderco as those who, rightly or wrongly, deny any issue or blindly rally to the brand. You're just poking. But you're smart enough to let it play off as you're the victim of the attacks and thus justified in your responses.

For all I know, you may be as right as rain and may have been part of helping Spyderco customers everywhere, but if all you care about is that, then your work is done. What more is to be gained by engaging? There is no more to do here, as far as the brand and product are concerned. Are you sure that's all you care about?

I really do believe you care and want to do right but it gets lost in your verbal skirmishes. A wise presenter always considers their audience.

Every challenge requires a response. You do realize it is a weakness yes? Now, one can argue I've bit your hook and I reckon it would be true. A weakness on my part I admit but I recognize my imperfection and realize it is a lifetime of work.

At any rate, I'm going to go back to wrangling with what Spyderco I'm going to buy next. I mean there's the KW M2LW, the new Stretch 2, and now the folks got me me pondering the Dragonfly and I still really want a blue Delica 4 and...

:)
palonej

Post by palonej »

Quite perceptive Eli!! Well done. That's the reason he was recently banned from Blade Forums....and rightly so.
Enough of that nonsense........it's the M2 LW for sure!!!
Joe
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Eli,

FYI, A while back, we had a problem with the lock on one of our models that we didn't know was a problem. One of our customers came to me, described the problem, demonstrated the issue. We solved it and moved on. No fanfare, no microphones, no perennial dialogue. Just problem solved. I like that better. :)

sal
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

You're all class, Sal.

Your conduct and composure always serve as example that folks would be wise to emulate.

(What's the old Charlton Heston quote--"We are too soon old, and too late wise." ;-)

kind regards,
nicked.onaut
palonej

Post by palonej »

Classy, as always Sal.
Big thumbs up!
Joe
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx much, but actually it was the "family" here that handled the entire 4 pages, and not me.

YOU are the class act!.

sal
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Eli Chaps wrote:
I've been around forums a loooong time and I have to say, you are one of the most skilled antagonists I've encountered.

:)
Same here regarding forums.
Best I've seen. He can play any role; victim, savior, moral guy, defender, investigative journalist, metallurgist, friend, enemy... He can even be everything in one post :eek:

I guess it's a compliment.... Sometimes, you just gotta tip your hat.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

palonej wrote:Quite perceptive Eli!! Well done. That's the reason he was recently banned from Blade Forums....and rightly so.
Enough of that nonsense........it's the M2 LW for sure!!!
Joe
What about the KW M2 CruWear??
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
palonej

Post by palonej »

That one too David!!! Of course!
:D :D

Joe
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Bodog wrote:I personally don't care enough to argue.

(paragraph after paragraph after paragraph deleted for brevity)

That's all I have to say about that.
Remember this gem from page 1?
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

jabba359 wrote:
Bodog wrote:I personally don't care enough to argue.

(paragraph after paragraph after paragraph deleted for brevity)

That's all I have to say about that.
Remember this gem from page 1?

Nope
elqfaltaba

Post by elqfaltaba »

elmeringalo wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
fanglekai wrote:I also wanted to mention that it's very nice to see a company respond to feedback in a constructive manner. Spyderco will continue to be my company of choice for modern style folders.
+1
+2
+3
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

palonej wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:Deleted for brevity....

Deleted for brevity...

Joe

You quoted a post in which I said I feel like a broken record? Now I really do feel like a broken record. :p The beat go on.....
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
palonej

Post by palonej »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
palonej wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:Deleted for brevity....

Deleted for brevity...

Joe

You quoted a post in which I said I feel like a broken record? Now I really do feel like a broken record. :p The beat go on.....
When a broken record states something so well, I don't mind hearing it again!!!
:D