The Advocate - An Official Statement from Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: The Advocate - An Official Statement from Spyderco

Post by Evil D »

murphjd25 wrote:I wouldn’t be concerned over what a few people said on YouTube. I’ve had NO PROBLEMS with any of my flippers.
That's the problem with this hobby, one negative comment by someone with enough followers and it becomes the gospel, and any positive feedback is dismissed as fanboying. I've completely stopped watching any knife reviews and really hesitate to make them myself anymore.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Evil D wrote:
murphjd25 wrote:I wouldn’t be concerned over what a few people said on YouTube. I’ve had NO PROBLEMS with any of my flippers.
That's the problem with this hobby, one negative comment by someone with enough followers and it becomes the gospel, and any positive feedback is dismissed as fanboying. I've completely stopped watching any knife reviews and really hesitate to make them myself anymore.

I have an original one here and haven't had any problems with mine at all.

You are right about the gospel thing however, sadly.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Evil D wrote:
You are very correct. I haven’t watched any knife reviews after this whole debacle.

It really is a shame too, because the Advocate is my most carried knife during the work week. It is that great, and I don’t think many people have gave it a shot because of what a few people have said.
Josh
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I never really jumped on either side of this debate. I have a Mantra and it is as smooth and rock solid today as it was new, even after a couple years of edc use.

Here's the main thing I take away from this whole affair. Whether or not the bearing and pivot system in the Advocate was "good enough" or not, I don't know but watching Eric discuss the CQI in the recent shot show videos, it is clearly better now. I imagine it cost Spyderco a good bit of time and money to revamp their flipper system but that's exactly the kind of thing I appreciate about this company and I will support that type of corporate behavior the best way I know how...with my $$$. I for one am very excited to get some of these new knives.
palonej

Post by palonej »

Neither have I Josh, and I have a bunch.
I have been carrying my original Advocate for a work knife, HVAC, for the last few months and it has impressed me big time. Great flipper and an amazing slicer.
Love it.
Joe
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I think it illuminates the difference between those focused on flipping action vs functionality. And on a knife like the advocate with a functional thumbhole, even if the flipper doesn't work, the knife still does.

Still, CQI is ALWAYS welcome. :D
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
mad german

Post by mad german »

Good point chb. I carried my Domino yesterday and loved it. It’s a fantastic knife. I was never a “flipper guy” until I got the Domino and Dice. Now, flippers are probably my favorite. I also have a ZT0450 & 0460; excellent flippers as well.
My collection is ever changing!
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I had one and the action was sub par. There was a bumpiness. Same thing with the Mantra I had.
Spyderco listened to its customers and revamped their bearing system.
Now I'm looking forward to buying a flipper from them.
It's a competitive marketplace.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

More Advocate updates in this thread: //forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... =2&t=77604
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
burlyspyder

Post by burlyspyder »

Delivery of new batch confirmed at a few online dealers. Ordered mine after following closely for nearly a year. Getting excited...

Will report back after I play with it for a bit. Cheers!
:bug-red: H1(s), M4, 4v, 10v, 15v(m), Hap40, s90v, s110v, BD1n, Maxamet, Magnacut(s), Z-max(m), Z-wear(m), Magnacut(m), SRS13(m), Rex76(m), M398(m)
Other: D2, White#1, Blue#2, SuperBlue, VG-10, 204P, 20cv, s30v, s35vn, s45vn, s90v, HIC, TC71
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

burlyspyder wrote:Delivery of new batch confirmed at a few online dealers. Ordered mine after following closely for nearly a year. Getting excited...

Will report back after I play with it for a bit. Cheers!
Which ones?
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
TBob

Post by TBob »

My Advocate should be here tomorrow!!!
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

If it's anything like the package I just received, the action should be great. :)
hovan2yourknives

Post by hovan2yourknives »

Mine is also being delivered today! Wife has orders not to leave the house ;) Will update as soon as I get it.
TBob

Post by TBob »

Mine arrived on the 8th. Another work of art! Taiwan's knives continue to impress with perfect in fit and finish. The flip action is smoother and surer than my Southard BB, which I also love. The workmanship is outstanding. Blade is perfectly centered and scary sharp. The Advocate is thinner than the Southard or the Slycz Bowie, but it still feels great in my hand. I am proud to be EDCing it as we speak. Thanks, Spyderco, for another outstanding knife!
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

It is a great knife for sure! I hope more people get one in hand now and see how great this knife really is!
Josh
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

murphjd25 wrote:It is a great knife for sure! I hope more people get one in hand now and see how great this knife really is!
I've wanted one since it was first announced but the price has been holding me back. I bought 2 GBs for the less than the price of 1 Advocate. I sharpened up one of those GBs tonight. I'm really digging M4 so now I'm looking at the Advocate again. Lol
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
archangel

Post by archangel »

I think it‘s a great choice if one plans to own only one M4 blade, right?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
TBob

Post by TBob »

archangel wrote:I think it‘s a great choice if one plans to own only one M4 blade, right?
Agreed! Although, I also have a GB2. They are like Lay's Potato Chips - can't have just one!
burlyspyder

Post by burlyspyder »

Got my new Advocate today. Interestingly, the bearing housings look black, not bronze/copper as I had expected and was shown in the newsletter. Has an LP production code, so I think that means it was 12/2017 production. I would say the action is smooth and crisp - far better than my positron. Just wonder if I got the CQI given the color of the bearing ring...any insights? Maybe it has oxidized?

-burly
:bug-red: H1(s), M4, 4v, 10v, 15v(m), Hap40, s90v, s110v, BD1n, Maxamet, Magnacut(s), Z-max(m), Z-wear(m), Magnacut(m), SRS13(m), Rex76(m), M398(m)
Other: D2, White#1, Blue#2, SuperBlue, VG-10, 204P, 20cv, s30v, s35vn, s45vn, s90v, HIC, TC71