The Advocate - An Official Statement from Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
archangel

Re: The Advocate - An Official Statement from Spyderco

Post by archangel »

Well yeah, bout this picture: where's the difference?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
62Mini

Post by 62Mini »

TazKristi wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:48 pm
62Mini wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:41 pm
I just bought one from BHQ and requested the new revised version. it came in today and its the old design. The marking on the box for the date are LP so Dec. 2016. looks like this one is going back to BHQ. I Don't think they're at dealers yet.
But if the date code was from December of 2016 then it cannot be the revised version. Mine doesn’t have the bronze washers in the pivot when I look.
Hi, 62Mini:
The date code cannot be used as a reliable reference as to whether or not you received an original or the revised Advocate. Here's an image I posted back in January that should help you distinguish between the two.

Advocate_Bronze_CloseUp4.png

Kristi
burlyspyder

Post by burlyspyder »

62Mini wrote:
I just bought one from BHQ and requested the new revised version. it came in today and its the old design. The marking on the box for the date are LP so Dec. 2016. looks like this one is going back to BHQ. I Don't think they're at dealers yet.
That's where I got an old and new version. They are out there...my new one had the LP code, as did the old one.
:bug-red: H1(s), M4, 4v, 10v, 15v(m), Hap40, s90v, s110v, BD1n, Maxamet, Magnacut(s), Z-max(m), Z-wear(m), Magnacut(m), SRS13(m), Rex76(m), M398(m)
Other: D2, White#1, Blue#2, SuperBlue, VG-10, 204P, 20cv, s30v, s35vn, s45vn, s90v, HIC, TC71
62Mini

Post by 62Mini »

burlyspyder wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:43 pm
62Mini wrote:
That's where I got an old and new version. They are out there...my new one had the LP code, as did the old one.
That’s really strange. Maybe after the refund goes through I’ll take a chance and buy another one and request the same thing.
burlyspyder

Post by burlyspyder »

62Mini wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:56 pm
burlyspyder wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:43 pm
62Mini wrote:
That’s really strange. Maybe after the refund goes through I’ll take a chance and buy another one and request the same thing.
Exactly what I did, but I purchased the second one (which turned out to be the new version) the same day I sent the other back so I wouldn't get the same one.
:bug-red: H1(s), M4, 4v, 10v, 15v(m), Hap40, s90v, s110v, BD1n, Maxamet, Magnacut(s), Z-max(m), Z-wear(m), Magnacut(m), SRS13(m), Rex76(m), M398(m)
Other: D2, White#1, Blue#2, SuperBlue, VG-10, 204P, 20cv, s30v, s35vn, s45vn, s90v, HIC, TC71
SG89

Post by SG89 »

archangel wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:13 pm
Well yeah, bout this picture: where's the difference?
on the left picture the new advocate pivot has phosphor bronze washers visible
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
archangel

Post by archangel »

Thanks for taking the time to answer, SG. In the meantime I reread the last postings of the related threads, and figured this out. I have to say though that on the pic the bronze is reeeeeeally hard to spot, at least for me. :o Is it easier to see with your eyes?
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
burlyspyder

Post by burlyspyder »

archangel wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:33 am
Thanks for taking the time to answer, SG. In the meantime I reread the last postings of the related threads, and figured this out. I have to say though that on the pic the bronze is reeeeeeally hard to spot, at least for me. :o Is it easier to see with your eyes?
It is fairly obvious when actually holding and viewing the knife, even under low lighting.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I like how GP Knives calls it Spyderco Advocate CQI Titanium Flipper M4 Steel C214TIP to make sure we know it has all the CQI changes: "CQI Pivot: This is the new Constant Quality Improvement bearing pivot. It features thicker steel washers and larger ball bearings seated in a phosphor bronze housing for smoother operation and more robust construction."
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
burlyspyder

Post by burlyspyder »

So after several weeks of EDC, this Advocate is my favorite knife (and I have had many, many). It opens easily and authoritatively, is still razor sharp after lots of light-medium duty cutting, and is simply beautiful. I might buy a second one....I don't know why, it is just that good. It could be the ultimate gentlemen's/professional's knife if it carried a bit deeper.

Thanks Spyderco!
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Ahhh...my 2017 knife acquisition wishlist has finally been fulfilled. Just received the Advocate "CQI" as GP is calling it and everything looks good so far. Just want to confirm my findings for others who may be receiving one too:

1) Date code on my box shows LP, which translates to 12/2016. A little disconcerting at first, but Kristi did acknowledge that the date codes for this model cannot be relied upon.
2) The Advocate was heat sealed in a plastic bag with desiccant pouch, then inserted into the more usual plastic bubble bag which was taped shut. I've never seen a Spyderco knife double packed like this, indicating to me that this model received some special treatment. It's been a year since I've purchased my last Spyderco, so perhaps I'm wrong and all new Spyderco knives are packaged like this.
3) Finally, using a flashlight I can definitely see the bronze ball bearing housing between the blade and scales.

Out of the box the flipping action is crisp. Lock up is at 50% or maybe just a fraction of a hair over. Closing a little tight, it's not a free dropper...yet. No problem, as I expect that to come with a little TLC and time. Edge is sharp as sharp can be from the factory. Fit and finish is among Spyderco's best.

So far so good and I'm very satisfied. Hope others have a very positive experience too.
flash900

Post by flash900 »

Here's a disassembly vid on the new Advocate:

https://youtu.be/_VpQrQf ... ickShabazz
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

This is a more appropriate thread. Copied and pasted from a different one:

The old design was kind of acceptable from a function standpoint, the new design better. That's all most asked for. To make it function and feel better. Not that the old design was total garbage. Just that it wasn't on par with what other manufacturers were producing in that certain aspect.

Spyderco listens, albeit in this case fairly reluctantly, and does a good job of presenting circumstantial evidence that benefits them and disregards circumstantial evidence that doesn't.

Having said that, there aren't many companies that voluntarily take a good overall design with a lackluster element off of the production line and upgrade it just because they know it could be better whether they admit it publicly or not. And apparently it is better so all's well that ends well. I don't believe Spyderco will continue to use the old design in any knives... that should tell people what needs to be known about the old flipper design.

I still carry the slysz bowie every day at work and my son carries a military. The pushback and negative comments towards those seeking to give spyderco truthful information outside of the normal glowing echo chamber doesn't matter to me. Spyderco listened even when they didn't want to about a specific issue and we all benefited as customers. That should also tell people what kind of company Spyderco is.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Senate

Post by Senate »

Now that the new one is out, i’d like to know if there’s an exchange deal available if my advocate is a bit gritty during opening ?
phaust

Post by phaust »

^Nope but you could send it in to the company to assess
archangel

Post by archangel »

Well, after exactly one month and a day :mad: (of which almost three weeks were wasted at German customs :mad: :mad: :mad: ) I finally hold my Advocate in my hands. Of course I looked (who was I trying to kid?), and I see bronze color washers - looks like a redesign model. It came in two plastic bags inside the box: the standard bubble wrap bag, filled with a smaller sealed plastic bag containing the knife and a small bag of humidity absorption grains. I‘m pretty sure it‘s brand new and fresh out of production.

Now comes the time to play with it. :) Oh the joys... :D
Michael
brancron

Post by brancron »

Just got my Advocate in from National Knives (a good seller by the way--they specifically designated it on their site as the "updated version" and shipped the same day). What a beauty it is! I was a little disconcerted by the date code when the knife arrived (LP, i.e. December 2016), but I called Spyderco's warranty department and they confirmed what I probably already should have known: forget the date codes; if you see bronze washers, it's the new version (the old version had grey plastic washers).
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

brancron wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:55 pm
Just got my Advocate in from National Knives (a good seller by the way--they specifically designated it on their site as the "updated version" and shipped the same day). What a beauty it is! I was a little disconcerted by the date code when the knife arrived (LP, i.e. December 2016), but I called Spyderco's warranty department and they confirmed what I probably already should have known: forget the date codes; if you see bronze washers, it's the new version (the old version had grey plastic washers).
Aaaannnnndddd???? How do you like it?
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

I have one of the old bearing models and thinned out some hardened steel washers for it. THey have a Sliiiiiight dish but the action is stupid smooth.
brancron

Post by brancron »

Bodog wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:59 pm
Aaaannnnndddd???? How do you like it?
And I love it! It may just be my favorite Spyderco yet. The overall design, the slim profile, the orange peeled Ti, the flipping action (it has a nice crisp detent), the blade grind (thin behind the edge and perfectly ground, sharp as a razor), and the overall fit and finish. Everything is nicely smoothed out, especially around the lock interface area (which is usually prone to having sharp edges), and the polish done around the frame goes very well with the blade and clip.

I was a little concerned about the large size of the flipper tab, but now that I can actually hold the knife and use it, it makes sense, because it actually works well as a guard to prevent your hand from moving up towards the blades (most flipper tabs don't really accomplish this that well). The action isn't "drop shut" smooth, but I don't really care about that.

And most importantly, it slices like a beast!!!

I'm a little perplexed by the fact that people are regularly shelling out up to $400 for second-hand Slysz Bowies when they could be buying this knife instead. Not to say the Slysz is bad (I had one and liked it quite a bit), but the Advocate is fantastic.