Manix2 Maxamet Feedback

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sierra_dave

Manix2 Maxamet Feedback

Post by Sierra_dave »

This is just some real user feedback on the Manix2 Maxamet, which I have been using as my EDC for several months since it's release. I use the knife every day to cut almost anything [cardboard, tape, electrical wire, paper, food, plants, etc]. I do not whittle or use the knife to pry, but have used the edge to scrape. 99.99% use to cut only. After 1 month I re-profiled it to 15 degrees per side and sharpened with diamond hones to 2000 grit. I own Spyderco, Benchmade, Buck, and custom knives. I read the forums, but almost never post.

1.) Although I have a half dozen exotic steel knives, I have only used 2 others [ S110V and K390] as EDC. The Maxamet is sharp and retains its edge as well as these steels, but I sharpen it more often. I would say that I sharpen it once a month on average versus once every 3 months for others mentioned.

2) Although it cuts well, in sticky material whether plastics or food, it bogs down. This is noticeably more than say K390, which is less slick than S110V in my experience.

3) Along the same lines, I have to clean this knife after virtually every cut. The metal's surface attracts and sticks anything it can. Maybe this steel is a good candidate for nitrate or black blade coatings? It stains like other non-stainless.

4) I have not experienced rolling of the edge or chipping, but a couple of times there was minor deformation after cutting thicker electrical wire. The wire was copper strand about 1/4 inch thick.

5) Although I like its ergonomics in my hands, the knife is too wide for my X-Large hands when I try to get something in my right hand pocket where I keep the knife. Except in cargo pants that means taking the knife out to get in that pocket.

6) The texture on the scales is tearing up my pocket's fabric on the edge from going into and out. The purchase on these grips is fine, but I never had the issue with other Spyderco knives.

7) I like the wire clip more than the old flat blades, but on a few occasions with nylon cargo shorts, the blade slipped out of my pocket. The search for a missing pocket knife is not fun.

8) I have dropped the closed knife a few times and once on concrete left a minor dent in the edge of the plastic. So good wear and tear results so far.

9) The locking mechanism is fine and although not as easy as others, I can lock and unlock without problems.

10) I would say this will be in my pocket for a while due to it's light weight, sharp edge, and quality. I am leaning toward going back to S110V based on my knife use needs.
Thanks,
Dave
Surfingringo

Re: Manix2 Maxamet Feedback

Post by Surfingringo »

Sierra_dave wrote:
2) Although it cuts well, in sticky material whether plastics or food, it bogs down. This is noticeably more than say K390, which is less slick than S110V in my experience.
Hi sierra Dave, thank you for sharing your observations on using this steel. Could you offer some more detail on what you mean by #2? Also, in what knife models are you using s110v and k390. I ask because the phenomenon you are describing would typically have far more to do with blade geometry and grind than any inherent qualities of the steel.

Thanks again.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Thanks for the perspective and feedback. I love Maxamet and have had good luck with it so far myself.

One steel is not "stickier" than another from my experience. That has to do with the finish on the knife. The Maxamet's bead blasted or tumbled finish is very smooth and I am guessing your other knives are satin finish? The smoother a blade's finish the harder it is to cut the cheese with it. Ha, I like to say cut the cheese. :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

One reason I've stayed away from Leaf shapes is the chance for blade drag, in deeper cuts of a sticky matrix such as fish flesh.