Does your wife get annoyed like mine?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
carl3989

Does your wife get annoyed like mine?

Post by carl3989 »

Often while watching TV I'll pick up one of my Spydercos (I have a bunch of them next to my chair) and start flipping them. After a while my wife will insist that I stop. She says the clicking gets on her nerves. I on the other hand find it quite therapeutic and could flip that sucker all night long. Sadly however in the name of marital harmony I will cease and desist. Any one else have a similar problem? :(
ABX2011

Re: Does your wife get annoyed like mine?

Post by ABX2011 »

How could that not be annoying for someone else?
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

She doesn't get annoyed when I play them, but she does get extremely annoyed every time a new one shows up in the mail :D She has learned its not going to stop :rolleyes:
Josh
jdw

Post by jdw »

murphjd25 wrote:She doesn't get annoyed when I play them, but she does get extremely annoyed every time a new one shows up in the mail :D She has learned its not going to stop :rolleyes:
Yeah on this. Fortunately she loves me anyway.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I guess I don't continue doing things that I know would annoy my wife. Why ruffle feathers? If I want to compulsively open/close my Spydercos, I'll do it in solitude. :D
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

murphjd25 wrote:She doesn't get annoyed when I play them, but she does get extremely annoyed every time a new one shows up in the mail :D She has learned its not going to stop :rolleyes:

+1 but she has not totally reached the acceptance stage yet.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Mine gets way more annoyed when she asks about a new Spyderco and I say "oh, I have had that one a while- you remember right?"
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

twinboysdad wrote:Mine gets way more annoyed when she asks about a new Spyderco and I say "oh, I have had that one a while- you remember right?"
That only works for me until the credit card bill comes :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

No wife for me (yet), but when me and my girlfriend first started dating, she didn't really know how to feel about all the knives.
Fast forward 6 or so years and she can name every single model I own and seems to like that glorious "click" of a lock engaging with some authority.
She's not too keen on handling the knives, but she does pick up smaller ones like the Techno or Kiwi's from time to time.

Really thought I was walking on the edge after a purchasing a Superleaf a week ago, when a package containing a Sage 4 arrived today before I went to Amsterdam to pick up my new Nirvana, but she just sat there admiring the Taichung glory :D
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

holeshot wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:Mine gets way more annoyed when she asks about a new Spyderco and I say "oh, I have had that one a while- you remember right?"
That only works for me until the credit card bill comes :)
Pfft...when they ask "would you like cash back?" Get a $10 or a $20 and squirrel it away!!
paladin

Post by paladin »

It's a Mexican standoff in casa de Paladin:

My knife flicking v. her sending/receiving text msgs incessantly... :mad:

so far hostilities have not broken out, but it's a tenuous peace. ;)
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

My GF's pretty good about my "clicking". I try not to do it too much because I know it has to become annoying after awhile. We live in a fairly small house so I do my best to keep the peace.
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

carl3989 wrote:Often while watching TV I'll pick up one of my Spydercos (I have a bunch of them next to my chair) and start flipping them. After a while my wife will insist that I stop. She says the clicking gets on her nerves. I on the other hand find it quite therapeutic and could flip that sucker all night long. Sadly however in the name of marital harmony I will cease and desist. Any one else have a similar problem? :(
Yes, exactly the same scenario here.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
SG89

Post by SG89 »

My husband doesn't mind my hobbies. The only thing that he doesn't like is when I accidentally cut myself playing around with a new spydie :eek:
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

I flick my knives a lot and it's not something she has ever complained about. Although I do try not to do it at times I understand would be annoying.

That said, a little while back she went to take a nap and I have my headphones on watching something. The house was dead quiet. Without even thinking about, I found myself zoned out on my computer screen and flicking a Delica 4. With my headphones on and such I didn't pay it much mind. She did. I was promptly, and understandably, shall we say, encouraged to stop. :D That back lock can be awful loud. :)

I remember one evening when I'd sharpened up my M2LW and I was playing with it while watching TV. She knows my/our knives are quite sharp after I work on them, She informed me that I had had a few beers and should not be playing with sharp objects. I grunted, beat my chest, cooked some raw meat over an open fire, that sort of thing and then after a little while, promptly laid open the top of my right ring finger when the blade fell closed on top of it. :eek: :o :rolleyes:

I was all cool and slid off to the bathroom to patch things up but women don't miss nothing. When I came back to resume watching TV, with a bandaged finger and no knife, she just calmly stated, "I told you so."

Yes dear. Yes you did.

:)
timlara

Post by timlara »

My wife is very sensitive to repetitive noises, so I don't dare flick my knives when she's around. Best not to give her any more ammo against the knife hobby...I try to stay under the radar as much as possible!

Fidget spinners are helpful for me as a placebo since they're much quieter. :)
Tim
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Yes. Same by me. After more than 3 clicks per 10 seconds and she insists that, I have to stop:(
And yes again to the hand spinner. It helps a lot. I have something to play and she doesn't mind it. It's soo quiet:)
toeterbaas

Post by toeterbaas »

Mine gets crazy about my spyderco s , And if i wanna buy one
Delica 4 Zome , Lava Silver
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I don't open and close knives very much but I leave knives laying around and that annoys wife, particularly when our beloved grandchildren come around. :eek:

What annoys wife most is when I'm drunk and try to act sober. She calls me a dero and an idiot amongst other things but I strongly deny all charges and ask her to get me another beer and tell her how happy I am she is my wife and how much I love her. :)

She usually brings me another beer, laughs at me, tells me to stop talking and most often sleeps in the spare room. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

While my wife does not really share my hobby she does support it. She carries a pink Native herself. I also do not flip knives for fun or use them as a fidget toy. To be honest I am on all y'alls wife's side on this one. To each their own and it's your knife but I do not flip for fun and find it odd. It is one part of the knife hobby that I find quite strange. I would be frustrated if I was a knife designer or maker and my customer's wanted fidget tools instead of cutting tools. That is a big part of the reason why I have pushed back against flippers and bearings since they got popular. I see it as a move away from pure cutting tools towards modern pocket toys. ;)

Nice one Bloke! My wife fully supports most my habits, even my sometimes over consumption...

"Up on Cripple Creek she sends me
If I spring a leak she mends me
I don't have to speak she defends me
A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one"
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?