Native Chief - Can we get a heartbeat?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hayes0728

Re: Native Chief - Can we get a heartbeat?

Post by Hayes0728 »

p_atrick wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:40 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:22 pm
Don´t get me wrong, I like watching Nicks reviews, and he normally points out really interesting and important things!
But, like most knife "reviewers", he does in fact mostly "just" kind of first impression videos (and good ones!!), and not real reviews. That is on no way against Mr. Shabbaz, as said, he does a good job and given the amount of knives he shows on his channel, he would have NO chance to really use all that blades over a longer period of time and in various tasks, to do a "real" review afterwards
One of Nicks favorite Spydercos is the Shaman. A large knife and gem in his eyes.

One of the reasons I like his videos more than most is that he is more aware of his own biases. His dislike of longer blades kept this knife from being a gem. But at least the viewer knows about this preference. I've heard him do reviews and mention something under the "bad" section only to immediately say something to the affect, "well, maybe you don't mind this, so it isn't bad." Every review is subjective to some respect, but I value you those who understand this. As for a real review, what does "real" mean? Is there a threshold of cardboard/zip ties/rope cut? Of course not. One of the main benefits of this forum is that you get to kind of know the people here and how they use their knives. You know what they like and dislike. You know the kinds of things they do with their knives (in terms of use and sharpening). You won't really find that kind of history on YouTube. I think I can form a better opinion on a knife from the people here as opposed to those on YouTube.
cistercian

Post by cistercian »

I really like my Native Chief. I was afraid it would be weak without liners and saw
how small the pivot for the lock looked at the side of the scale. Then...I saw a disassembly
video which shows the pivot pin for the lock is stepped (duh..I never considered that).
It has a lot more surface area to bear stress than I thought it did and I ordered it.
Liners would ruin it...it would be too heavy. Ergos and balance are great and I love the
blade profile. Great for cutting meat and veggies at camp! A solid knife I am very glad I got.
I have a S30V Shaman too for tougher use where a stronger tip and thicker blade make more sense.

I like it! It is a high quality slicer that is a decent size that is comfy to carry. I find myself
gravitating to thinner profiles for slicing. The Kapara is epic for this as is the Ikuchi.
SAF-1

Post by SAF-1 »

Please Sal, a Native Chief in Cruwear????? I’m on my second Chief and Love it !! Thank you Sir