Native Chief - Can we get a heartbeat?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Lumpy620

Re: Native Chief - Can we get a heartbeat?

Post by Lumpy620 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:23 am
Have any more of you got the Chief yet and what do you think about it? I really like the ergos and it's a nice slicer...
I've had mine in pocket for the better part of the week. I'm digging it very much.

- Ergonomically speaking, it works great in my hand, and if anything I have too much real estate on the handle, as I have medium sized gloves. Comparatively speaking, my dad was using it the other day, he had the perfect amount of grip in his L/XL gloves.
-Second smoothest lock-back I've had from Spyderco, only trailing my Chaparral CF. If I want to spydie-flick it, I don't need much wrist.
-Size to weight ratio is superb, and the slimness makes it dissapear in shorts, which are becoming a necessity right about now. :D
-OOB sharpness is in my top 10 definitely for :spyder:'s, probably top 5. For reference, my top 3 are definitely my CF/Cruwear Manix, Smock, and Gayle Bradley 1 of the top of my head.
-Aestetically speaking, I miss the swedge/spear like grinds on some of it's siblings, however, the flat grind on this thing DESTROYS the materials I've thrown at it... Nothing crazy just the usual (corrugated cardboard, burlap, rope, etc.)

I think for me, when I look at the total package, I really like the model, mostly because I like it to a hump-less, full size C54 Calypso, which is a personal favorite :spyder: of mine. I too hope this model sells well enough to warrant sprint/exclusive versions, with my preference being LC200N/G10 mentioned in a previous thread as I think the linerless platform lends itself to it, and said package would remind me of a folding Fish-Hunter model.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:23 am
Have any more of you got the Chief yet and what do you think about it? I really like the ergos and it's a nice slicer. I hope more people buy the chief than they did the Manix2 backlock. I would like to see the chief sprinted/exclusive-d. I really like large knives to be backlocks and Golden makes an excellent backlock. The same knife made in Seki would prob cost over $200.
I received my Chief on Monday and have been carrying it all week. I'm very impressed with it.

Generally, I prefer a more mid-size knife, mostly due to ease of carry. The Chief is quite a bit larger (well, longer) than my usual edc, but because of its narrow profile and linerless construction, I find it pockets and carries very comfortably. I've been wearing shorts all week and the Chief's weight has not been an issue for me.. sometimes not the case with larger knives.. i.e. Manix 2 backlock.. Great knife, but not one I would choose for a LW summer carry.

I second Spydergirl's assessment above.. the Chief has great ergos. If you like the Native's ergos, I think it's a pretty safe bet that you will like the Chief's as well. As with the Native, the grip using the choil is very comfortable for detailed cuts, but it's also easy to get a full grip beneath the choil due to the extended handle length. I find the blade shape and FFG to be highly conducive to piercing and slicing cuts. I haven't had a chance yet to do any heavy-duty cutting tasks with my Chief, but for the basic edc type chores I've used it for this week, I've had no concerns over the integrity of the super pointy tip. Also, as Spydergirl mentions, the backlock on the Chief is perfect..lockup is rock solid.

It's only been a week, but I've enjoyed my time with the Chief. I'm very glad I picked one up. I too, can see this being a really cool platform for sprints and exclusives.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

^ I should have probably also mentioned, since it seems people are having trouble finding these in stock.. I pre-ordered my Chief from BladeHQ on 5/2 and received it in the mail on 6/3. In the past, when I've pre-ordered from them, my knives usually arrive about a week after they start popping up at other retailers. This time, it seems the pre-order really worked out in my favor!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

DLT has them in stock just ordered one.

https://www.dlttrading.com/spyderco-native-chief
rbb2

Post by rbb2 »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:00 am
DLT has them in stock just ordered one.

https://www.dlttrading.com/spyderco-native-chief
Yep, came here to post this, too. Don't know if it's specific to the Chief, or some other promotion, but it added a free microfiber cloth to my order. I was also able to use some reward points to get $20 off, so I'm a happy camper. Based on how quickly the tan/DLC PM2 was shipped, I'm hoping I'll get this knife on Monday!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Yep DLT they are one of my favorite sellers and with their points system I saved around $30.00. I also got the cloth nice touch DLT. Not sure about other states but their free shipping is super fast to Florida. Took 2 days when I ordered 2 of the PM2 CV20's last week.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:45 am
Yep DLT they are one of my favorite sellers and with their points system I saved around $30.00. I also got the cloth nice touch DLT. Not sure about other states but their free shipping is super fast to Florida. Took 2 days when I ordered 2 of the PM2 CV20's last week.
Yes, DLT rocks! I swear they have USPS kiosk in their store :p. Mine is due on Monday :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Mine on Monday also. Makes a case of the Monday’s much brighter!!!

Lol reminds me... Ducks and hides....

https://youtu.be/2AB9zPfXqQQ
rbb2

Post by rbb2 »

Mine says Monday as well. Very excited; this knife could be a new favorite.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

This knife is haunting me.
Every other night is in my dreams and she says: Buy me! Just click that purchase button.....

I really like the design, but I am in tough decision between Chief and Police 4.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

I just got my Chief and personally I prefer the P4 and Endura to the Chief.
The action on the Chief is noticeably less fluid than the other two. Think my Chief may move on. Not loving it.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Wednesday for me.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Pancake wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:39 pm
This knife is haunting me.
Every other night is in my dreams and she says: Buy me! Just click that purchase button.....

I really like the design, but I am in tough decision between Chief and Police 4.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

I love the police 4 design but seki quality to price isn’t for me, and I’ve had issues on my last few seki knives.

My next knife hasn’t been decided but the chief is in the running considering the manix 2 back lock is my edc
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Popsickle wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:39 am
I love the police 4 design but seki quality to price isn’t for me, and I’ve had issues on my last few seki knives.

My next knife hasn’t been decided but the chief is in the running considering the manix 2 back lock is my edc
May I ask: What kind of issues did you have with Seki knives? I am (of course) not saying , that such can´t occur, I myself just never had any issues with all the FRN Seki knives I had and have, so I am courious.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Popsickle wrote:

Well, the main thing that Police 4 has is K390. If Spyderco :spyder: put K390 (or 10V, or M4) in the Chief, I would not wait a second, just take my money and gimme the knife!

Can you told me more about the price:quality ration in Seki models?
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Just got mine in and it's great. Solid lock up with no side to side play. I knew it was G10 handled but the weight still seems lighter than I expected. So far it cuts pork pretty well. Definitely worth the wait. Gonna have to go find stuff to cut with it.
rbb2

Post by rbb2 »

Just opened mine - typically excellent fit and finish. Solid lockup, no play, smooth action, blade is dead center. I love the size, it's a big knife, and it's a looker for sure.

steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I miss the Boye Dent on the Native. This has the same "ailment". I wonder how they decide which models get the dent treatment??? :confused:
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
mayong

Post by mayong »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:04 am
Popsickle wrote:
May I ask: What kind of issues did you have with Seki knives? I am (of course) not saying , that such can´t occur, I myself just never had any issues with all the FRN Seki knives I had and have, so I am courious.

Seki backlocks tend to have vertical blade play. Some of my favorite knives (Police 4, Caly 3.5, Al Mar Eagle) all have the same slight wiggle when cutting on a hard surface, e.g. a cutting board. My Endura and Delica are the same. To replicate, put the edge of the knife on the cutting board and just push down repeatedly without lifting the knife off the board. Functionally it's not a big deal but I'm insane and it really bugs me. Those knives would be perfect, personally, were there no blade play.

[edit, update, after carrying for some weeks:]

The golden backlock is rock solid. Very pleased about that. But my favorite part of the knife by far is the blade shape; the thin, tapered leaf is such a great slicer.

#subscribed for a sprint or comp lock version!
Last edited by mayong on Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Police | Calypso | Caly 3 & 3.5 | PM 2 | Para 3 | UKPK | Endura | Dragonfly | Sage 2 | Sage 5

"While this test doesn't simulate any logical use of a knife as a tool, since it was a concern of some of our customers, we began incorporating it into our testing protocols." - Michael Janich