Native Chief - Can we get a heartbeat?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ferider

Re: Native Chief - Can we get a heartbeat?

Post by ferider »

Pelagic wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:06 pm
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:24 am
I have read all the arguments in favor of Linerless knives. They are good points, but no one has addressed the glaring flaw in the concept. If you put steel rotating against what is essentially plastic without washers or liners of any kind do you not think that material like sand for example will not come into play with the pivot and surface contact areas?
It's really just an obsession with weight reduction within the community. They don't want weak or delicate knives of course, but one's definition of delicate varies. They just want a knife that is absolutely as light as possible without sacrificing what they deem a significant amount of durability. This means no liners, extremely lightweight handle material, open construction, an extremely thin blade, etc. I've never been in this camp. BRING ON THE WEIGHT. It simply does not bother me. I never expect a folding knife to be as strong as a fixed blade. But I certainly value a robust pivot and lock, as well as more durable blade geometries. I like having the proverbial light sabre on hand, but IMO not every knife needs to be ground like a box cutter. I enjoy carrying 2 knives: one is either an excellent slicer or something with obscene edge retention, and one is either a "beater" knife or a more durable/hard use knife. I feel I am part of an extreme minority in this regard and that most people basically want every model to be an extremely lightweight slicer.
Couldn’t agree more. If I want to loose an ounce or two i‘d rather skip dinner once than the liners in my knife :)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It is a knife pivot, not a wheel bearing. If you are an armchair flipper and worried about wear then maybe a linerless knife is not for you.

To be clear I regularly carry a 7 ounce K2. I am not size or weight sensitive. I just don't think that abandoning liners on a solid g10 handle is gonna cause any real problems.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:10 am
The Native Chief looks like the magical combination of the old C54 Calypso and the current linerless G10 Native5. Outstanding! I would like to see a subtle swedge like those knives have but that isn't too difficult of a mod.

I want one in Cruwear and K390. Thanks! Also, BHQ, you better make this happen! Mmm... Jade/M4 Chief. :)
This deserves a flag to fly. Please (Cruwear especially).
anycal

Post by anycal »

I mean no disrespect here.

Armchair flipper or not, knife like the Military and Police 4 create quite an impact when you flick them open - choose your method. I frequently pull our my knives for use by opening them with authority. Do I have to? Can I open them sweeping the thumb? Sure. But I am used to my way.

Anyways, that impact of an heavier blade does have the potential to oval things out over time. I would imagine easier on plastic then metal.
Peter
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:17 pm
It is a knife pivot, not a wheel bearing. If you are an armchair flipper and worried about wear then maybe a linerless knife is not for you.

To be clear I regularly carry a 7 ounce K2. I am not size or weight sensitive. I just don't think that abandoning liners on a solid g10 handle is gonna cause any real problems.
You can put your boot in the oven but it doesn't make it a biscuit! :D

I think it's well known that I am far from an armchair flipper. It all depends on the quality, size, and strength of the G10. I for one do not feel that the pm2, military, manix, and many others are overbuilt simply because they have liners. On the contrary, I actually believe they were put there for a reason.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

If linerless G-10 is good enough for Cold Steel - a company that brags about making the strongest knives and backs it up with testing- then it's good enough for Spyderco. Cold Steel has used linerless G-10 on many large models too.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Pelagic, I am glad you liked that saying. I heard it years ago and liked it.

Look, I am not disagreeing with or discrediting anybodies opinion. We all are entitled to our opinions and preferences. I also wasn't taking a jab at folks who flip for fun or who like to open with authority. I was just stating that I don't think that linerless G10 is an inherent flaw.

If you like liners get a ManixXL or Police4. If you like partial liners get a Military and if you like linerless then the Chief may be the knife for you.

I have seen it for years. Everybody wants every knife to be the way they want it. Spyderco makes something for everybody. That should be encouraged.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
― John Lydgate

Also, why all the "plastic" references? Are we conflating frn and G10?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:50 pm
...Everybody wants every knife to be the way they want it. Spyderco makes something for everybody...
That's one of the unfortunate side effects of being provided with so many options.
vivi

Post by vivi »

VashHash wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:34 am
Mr Blonde wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:49 am
I have to say that the Native Chief was my favorite of the new knives that Spyderco showed at the meet. Call it nostalgia, as I remember seeing that concept design on the forums back in 1999 or so. This was back in the day, when you had to put a knife on a flatbed scanner, cover it with a cloth and you had a digital image you could share online! That first design was added to the wonderful mini-museum display of the native in the Spyderco Factory Outlet. The current Native Chief flows from the current Native 5 design, and features linerless G-10 handle construction and everything else you’re familiar with on a G-10 Native five, just a lot longer!

This knife felt very light and solid in the hand. It felt lighter and thinner than the Emphasis. The Native Chief’s long slender blade also reminded me of a large Calypso. I can’t wait to get my hands on my own production sample of the native Chief, it’s very high on my wish list!

Specifications
Overall Length: 23,1 cm / 9.09 inches
Blade Length: 10,4 cm / 4.09 inches
Blade Thickness: 3 mm / 0.11 inches
Weight: 76 grams / 2.68 ounces

I have no information on pricing or specific release dates.
Feel like this had to be posted here too so it's not lost in the Amsterdam thread.

This is probably my most anticipated knife of 2019. Always wanted a bigger native and the shaman wasn't quite big enough. Glad I held out for this design.
This is absolutely amazing. I think this will be the best folder Spyderco has put out. The lines look perfect, and I'm really glad its linerless. That weight is amazing for the size! I'm buying at least two the day they're released.
:unicorn
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

ABX2011 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:37 pm
If linerless G-10 is good enough for Cold Steel - a company that brags about making the strongest knives and backs it up with testing- then it's good enough for Spyderco. Cold Steel has used linerless G-10 on many large models too.
It's nowhere near the same. Look at the handle scales of a recon 1 versus that of a Manix backlock. There's no comparison.

Darby, I got you man. No harm done. I just stand by the fact that liners are there for a reason.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:42 pm
VashHash wrote:
Mr Blonde wrote:
I have to say that the Native Chief was my favorite of the new knives that Spyderco showed at the meet. Call it nostalgia, as I remember seeing that concept design on the forums back in 1999 or so. This was back in the day, when you had to put a knife on a flatbed scanner, cover it with a cloth and you had a digital image you could share online! That first design was added to the wonderful mini-museum display of the native in the Spyderco Factory Outlet. The current Native Chief flows from the current Native 5 design, and features linerless G-10 handle construction and everything else you’re familiar with on a G-10 Native five, just a lot longer!

This knife felt very light and solid in the hand. It felt lighter and thinner than the Emphasis. The Native Chief’s long slender blade also reminded me of a large Calypso. I can’t wait to get my hands on my own production sample of the native Chief, it’s very high on my wish list!

Specifications

Feel like this had to be posted here too so it's not lost in the Amsterdam thread.

This is probably my most anticipated knife of 2019. Always wanted a bigger native and the shaman wasn't quite big enough. Glad I held out for this design.
This is absolutely amazing. I think this will be the best folder Spyderco has put out. The lines look perfect, and I'm really glad its linerless. That weight is amazing for the size! I'm buying at least two the day they're released.
It's linerless for ease of production/price/profit margin. Not because it's the best choice for it as a (user) knife.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

With or without liners, I'm in. It will be a great knife. As far as function and carry, I see no harm in liners, espec. partials. I like the insurance you buy with liners for the reasons Pelagic and others have stated, and see no real functional downside. The cost may be the consideration, I don't know. This is all hypothetical until we have been using them for a few years and can compare notes :) Let's get them into user's hands and agree to meet back here a year from then :)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Pelagic wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:46 pm
Vivi wrote:
VashHash wrote:
Mr Blonde wrote:

Specifications

It's linerless for ease of production/price/profit margin. Not because it's the best choice for it as a (user) knife.
lol? its the best construction option for me. I have linerless FRN and G10 knives that have been subjected to over a decade of frequent use and they work fine. Got a linerless folder in my pocket right now in fact.
Last edited by vivi on Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

The way I see it is like this:

Ask every pm2 user "don't you wish those pesky steel lines were gone?"

After they give you a weird look, I guarantee most will say no.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Pelagic wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:09 pm
The way I see it is like this:

Ask every pm2 user "don't you wish those pesky steel lines were gone?"

After they give you a weird look, I guarantee most will say no.
If I carried a PM2 I'd prefer it to have no liners. It weighs a lot for being such a small knife.

Either way someone else preferring liners doesn't mean a linerless knife isn't the best for me. Not sure what your point is.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:08 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Vivi wrote:
VashHash wrote:

lol? its the best construction option for me. I have linerless FRN and G10 knives that have been subjected to over a decade of frequent use and they work fine. Got a linerless folder in my pocket right now in fact.
It cannot be measured how proud of you I am currently. The thought of you jogging through the woods with a 4max in your soccer shorts hurts my own balls. To some, it is obvious that spyderco has been wasting it's resources on designing knives with liners. Wow, why did they ever concoct such a worthless idea? :D
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Pelagic wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:14 pm
Vivi wrote:
Pelagic wrote:
Vivi wrote:

It cannot be measured how proud of you I am currently. The thought of you jogging through the woods with a 4max in your soccer shorts hurts my own balls. To some, it is obvious that spyderco has been wasting it's resources on designing knives with liners. Wow, why did they ever concoct such a worthless idea? :D
You ok man?
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:19 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:14 pm
Vivi wrote:
Pelagic wrote:

You ok man?
Vivi, it was you that talked about running through the woods in nylon shorts as a reason for needing lightweight knives, not me. In which case I'm really not sure why you didn't use your waistband. But anyway, I'm just 1 guy that doesn't drink the kool-aid. A lot of people agree with what I'm saying but are mature enough to stay out of this conversation, believe it. I'm just not afraid of being the minority, or even banned for that matter. I think it mostly boils down to people never having been in a hard use environment. Someone could easily start an account and constantly ask "why don't you just use a box cutter? You shouldn't be prying with knives" and they could make a good case against most people here. A box cutter actually could do everything most of the people do with their knives. However, I know a boxcutter would never suffice for me. My perspective is much different. But many people have trouble accepting that. And I care very, very little.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Please, guys, let's just let it go. :o
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:42 pm
Please, guys, let's just let it go. :o
Ok.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote: