Native Chief - Can we get a heartbeat?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PStone

Re: Native Chief - Can we get a heartbeat?

Post by PStone »

ferider

Post by ferider »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:07 pm
In the overall scheme of things, a trivial fix.
Without liners maybe not so trivial. ;)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:45 pm
Ahhhhh... Thanks, Wouter.

https://youtu.be/2gXID3eOaoc

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I’m all over this thing. Sal has gone and done it again.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:27 pm
I’m all over this thing. Sal has gone and done it again.
Yes, he has. For me, this is the most exciting knife design in a long time. I wonder how long we will have to wait till it is released?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Nate

Post by Nate »

I hope that fact that pics from the show were allowed means the reveal/release will be this year.
:spyder:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

As the whole back of the Chief´s handle has steel in it (lockbar / backspacer..) the knife should be plenty rigid, as already stated in the "Amsterdam" thread.

Now what I´d really be interested in: When it comes to rigidity: How does a linerless G10 model with a full steel back compare to a lets say compression lock model with liners, but open back?
I know that this can´t be answered generally, for it depends also on the particular overall construction of a given model. But still for me it is an interesting question.

I´d assume, that when it comes to flexing the handle sideways, the full steel back, but linerless knife could be even more rigid?
When it comes to "squeezing" the handle maybe the open back,but linered one by a little amount?

What do you think?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
pinepig2

Post by pinepig2 »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:45 am
As the whole back of the Chief´s handle has steel in it (lockbar / backspacer..) the knife should be plenty rigid, as already stated in the "Amsterdam" thread.

Now what I´d really be interested in: When it comes to rigidity: How does a linerless G10 model with a full steel back compare to a lets say compression lock model with liners, but open back?
I know that this can´t be answered generally, for it depends also on the particular overall construction of a given model. But still for me it is an interesting question.

I´d assume, that when it comes to flexing the handle sideways, the full steel back, but linerless knife could be even more rigid?
When it comes to "squeezing" the handle maybe the open back,but linered one by a little amount?

What do you think?
It's a valid question that I don't have an answer to. However, I don't think the lock bar will do a whole lot to help the rigidity of the knife as it's a moving part. And the lined/open-back knife has the added advantage of the pivot pin ends being inserted into steel rather than G10.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I think I'm ready for this knife to be released. Been waiting for years. Maybe not as long as people who saw it first leaked. But still a few years.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

I'm excited they went linerless on this one. I bet it disspears in the pocket. Great EDC slicer

I'd love one in 15v
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm real curious to see this and the Police 4 side by side.
:unicorn
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:27 pm
Same
Probably carries better, I've been rocking the P4 as my EDC most of 2019 and 2018. This seems more streamlined.

Hope they have one at the show next week. If so I'll snag a shot of them together.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
vivi

Post by vivi »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:37 pm
Vivi wrote:
Same
Probably carries better, I've been rocking the P4 as my EDC most of 2019 and 2018. This seems more streamlined.

Hope they have one at the show next week. If so I'll snag a shot of them together.
Which show? That'd be awesome if you could do that. The Police 4 is my go to outside of work.
:unicorn
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:39 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:37 pm
Vivi wrote:
Same

Which show? That'd be awesome if you could do that. The Police 4 is my go to outside of work.
The best show, the Eugene OR knife show. It's super down to earth. You really get a chance to meet Sal and Gale and hangout. Love the crowd. Lots of old Dawgs and custom guys.

Yeah if they have one I'll see if they'll let me take a photo. I'll tell em it's for Vivi :D

I have my own table to run so we'll see if I get time to sneak away.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Vivi wrote:
+1
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Wow! What a crazy thread!

The Native Chief looks great, and I am totally cool with the linerless design. I am sure that my linerless Native 5 and backlock Manix will outlive me, and maybe on through the next generation as well.

I wish people would quit quoting the post with a dozen images over and over though. You can delete stuff when you quote posts you know.

A saber grind is kind of a deal breaker for me, give me FFG every time. I once had a soft spot for hollow grinds, but I think I am over that now.
On top of that, the 154CM/S90V laminate kind of leaves me cold -- straight S90V would seem better, the laminate is kind of a novelty.
So that particular Native 5 has too many variables besides liners to draw any conclusions.

As far as weight, Spyderco does a pretty amazing job of keeping weight down, even with models that have liners.

Some people are getting really wound up, and I won't venture to guess why, but it is kind of going over the line. Calm down, it is just a knife, you don't have to buy it if you don't like it. Don't expect everyone to agree with you.

I certainly view FRN knives as totally a cost cutting measure, not a way to save weight. They save precious little. But folks love them and they apparently serve most peoples needs very well. But I won't be buying any. I am glad the Chief is linerless G10 -- makes me happy.
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:00 am
ABX2011 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:47 am
Look at the lack of popularity of the sprint run Native 5 with saber ground S90V/154cm laminate. That one has liners. Impossible to say for sure, by I think the saber grind is what turned most people off. And probably the added weight from the meatier blade and liners.
Ya can't please everyone all of the time.
All the G10 Native 5s had liners till the "rolling change" starting with about March 2018. As far as I know not too few people are still looking for the discontinued linered models.

I personally don´t think that a knife as small as the Native does need liners, if it is well and thoughtfull designed to have none.
No experience though with larger linerless folders, so I am not entitled to join the discussion on that topic.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

pinepig2 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:19 pm
Wartstein wrote:

What do you think?
It's a valid question that I don't have an answer to. However, I don't think the lock bar will do a whole lot to help the rigidity of the knife as it's a moving part.
Really? I personally think that when it comes to lateral / sideways rigidity, it should not matter that the lockbar is a moving part, since it is just moving up and down (as opposed to side to side).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
pinepig2

Post by pinepig2 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:07 am
Really? I personally think that when it comes to lateral / sideways rigidity, it should not matter that the lockbar is a moving part, since it is just moving up and down (as opposed to side to side).
I'm sure it helps some, but a structure that's fully interconnected/locked together will always be stronger and resistant to movement to one that is basically just sandwiched together. I think the lockbar will shift a bit in relation to at least one scale under heavy lateral deflection, and perhaps more so under twisting force.
Last edited by pinepig2 on Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
pinepig2

Post by pinepig2 »

My kingdom for a delete button!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:07 am
pinepig2 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:19 pm
Wartstein wrote:

What do you think?
It's a valid question that I don't have an answer to. However, I don't think the lock bar will do a whole lot to help the rigidity of the knife as it's a moving part.
The effect on the strength and rigidity of the knife in every plane, from the the lockbar, liners, scales, fixings size and location etc is going to vary with each model and material.

The real questions are simply whether the combination of all these does the job or not, and whether or not you like the look & feel of it. The first question matters to everyone, the second matters to no-one but yourself!