Native 5 Maxamet is out also!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Native 5 Maxamet is out also!

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have a had a few brown spots and some staining on both of mine. I have three knives in M4 and two in Maxamet and I find the corrosion resistance similar. I have taken a little polishing compound to all of them by now. It seems perfectly manageable to me but also something to be mindful of.

I love this stuff!!!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I helped someone move yesterday. It took hours and I was soaked with sweat all day. I had 3 knives, my waved karambit (this came in real handy when the legs of a table we were taking out of the truck became tangled in a rope that was tied to the wall of the moving truck, and we didn't notice until we had the table half off the truck with three of us holding it. I only had one hand free, so I waved out the karambit and gave the rope a quick cut, and we were able to set the table down), the second knife was my Hap40 DFly, didn't see much use but it was nice to have a left hand carry, you never know which hand will be free when you're carrying a bunch of stuff. And last I carried my MAXAMET Native (the point of this post ;) ) I finally managed to get a few tiny specks of rust from one day of carry. When I got home, showered, ate dinner, and had a few drinks, then took out my flitz polish and buffed out the spots. Obviously I'd like it if my knives never rusted, but it's very manageable. The hap 40 did not corrode FWIW.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Got back in town last week from touring around the Midwest for a couple weeks. I carried a few knives, but N5 max got most of the calls. This included lots of food prep, eating utensil, shavings to start a fire, rope/string cutting, finger/toe nail trimming, finger nail cleaning.

Of course I gave it a good cleaning/disinfection before each food use.
Most of the time it just got wiped down and put away. Hours later I might rinse and dry. No oils except what comes natural with the foods. No rust, and can't tell any difference in staining/patina from when I started.

I almost never think to take pictures of my knives in use, but here's one, its last call to duty (I think)before getting home.

murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Gave my Maxamet Native its first sharpening tonight. You can sure tell it sharpens differently and even sounds different on the stones. I was amazed it took less effort then I was expecting. This steel is great so far, super steel indeed. I am more then happy with it.
Josh
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

murphjd25 wrote:Gave my Maxamet Native its first sharpening tonight. You can sure tell it sharpens differently and even sounds different on the stones. I was amazed it took less effort then I was expecting. This steel is great so far, super steel indeed. I am more then happy with it.
Yes! It's hard to put into words, but Maxamet has a noticeably different feel (and sound) than my other steels.

jpm2 wrote:Got back in town last week from touring around the Midwest for a couple weeks. I carried a few knives, but N5 max got most of the calls. This included lots of food prep, eating utensil, shavings to start a fire, rope/string cutting, finger/toe nail trimming, finger nail cleaning.

Of course I gave it a good cleaning/disinfection before each food use.
Most of the time it just got wiped down and put away. Hours later I might rinse and dry. No oils except what comes natural with the foods. No rust, and can't tell any difference in staining/patina from when I started.

I almost never think to take pictures of my knives in use, but here's one, its last call to duty (I think)before getting home.

Didn't like the Grey Handles?

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:Didn't like the Grey Handles?
They probably woulda ended up black anyway, I use it at work.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Makes sense.