Cant get delica razorsharp anymore with triangle...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
toeterbaas

Cant get delica razorsharp anymore with triangle...

Post by toeterbaas »

Hi

Please someone help me setting the steps up.
How do i get it razorsharp again???
Wich angle?
How many strokes....
Delica 4 Zome , Lava Silver
bearfacedkiller

Re: Cant get delica razorsharp anymore with triangle...

Post by bearfacedkiller »

There is no magic number of strokes. Before we can move forward you MUST get that idea out of your head.

Also, we probably need more information than what you have provided in order to advise you.

Do you know how to mark the edge with a Sharpie and check where the stones are contacting the blade? That should be step one if you are unsure what you are doing. If the stone isn't hitting the edge then you are reprofiling and not sharpening.

Do you have the diamond rods?

How much sharpening has the knife seen and at what angles?

The 40 degree setting with the brown rods should get it sharp with enough passes but that depends on a lot of factors so we need more info.

We are here to help so keep asking questions. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Everything Darby said, sounds like you may need to reprofile back to 30 again then give it a nice lite 40 micro. The diamond rods are a God sent if you need to reprofile.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Reprofile it!!! 30 degree setting, and work one side (i like to use the flats personally). Brown rods or diamond/CBN if you have them. It takes awhile. Get a burr so the opposite of the edge is starting to roll over, you can feel it with your nail. Then, switch and work the other side until you push the burr to the opposite side. (could be 15-45 minutes depending on how dull it is)

Then, go to the 40 degree setting for a microbevel with the brown rods (I like the corner of the rods for this). This part only takes 1-2 minutes. Then when it feels nice and smooth switch to the white fine rods, 1 minute there and you should be able to shave arm hair.

This will allow you to do "touch ups" with jus the 40 degree setting in the future and it should go back to razor sharp in minutes...
toeterbaas

Post by toeterbaas »

Bearface thanks for your info.
farnorthdan I just ordered the diamond rods , They come here tomorrow.
Can someone explain for me how to hold the knife when i have them?
What i think is holding it straight and go down , When it goed down keeping it straight
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Yep, you want to keep the blade as straight as you can, takes some practice just be patient, also better to use lite pressure.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
toeterbaas

Post by toeterbaas »

farnorthdan wrote:Yep, you want to keep the blade as straight as you can, takes some practice just be patient, also better to use lite pressure.
Do i have to use preasure with the diamond to?
toeterbaas

Post by toeterbaas »

ZMW wrote:Reprofile it!!! 30 degree setting, and work one side (i like to use the flats personally). Brown rods or diamond/CBN if you have them. It takes awhile. Get a burr so the opposite of the edge is starting to roll over, you can feel it with your nail. Then, switch and work the other side until you push the burr to the opposite side. (could be 15-45 minutes depending on how dull it is)

Then, go to the 40 degree setting for a microbevel with the brown rods (I like the corner of the rods for this). This part only takes 1-2 minutes. Then when it feels nice and smooth switch to the white fine rods, 1 minute there and you should be able to shave arm hair.

This will allow you to do "touch ups" with jus the 40 degree setting in the future and it should go back to razor sharp in minutes...
So do you do left, Right , Left , Right then?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Have you watched the dvd that came with the sharpmaker? It shows how to hold the knife. If not here it is on youtube. You want to hold the blade perfectly vertical. For me standing a little further back helps as does using my kitchen table instead of my kitchen counter. My table is a little lower and it gets me up looking down at my work better. With time you will establish muscle memory (which is 90% of sharpening) and it will get easier to be more vertical and importantly consistently vertical. Consistency is also a big part of sharpening. Every stroke will never be exactly the same but the closer they are the better.

https://youtu.be/5LBDnJv5B58

You do not want to use very much pressure with the diamond stones. Too much pressure can damage them. The saying is "let the diamonds do the work". You will find that they remove metal very fast, especially when new. Diamond stones break in and start out more aggressive so if your stone freak you out a little at first keep in mind that they will settle down after a while.

When reprofiling the edge you can do one side until you raise a bur or start hitting the edge and then do the other side. When microbeveling I would alternate every pass. At least that is how I do it.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

toeterbaas wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:Yep, you want to keep the blade as straight as you can, takes some practice just be patient, also better to use lite pressure.
No. i don't have a Sharpmaker but the fundamentals are all the same regardless of the setup. It is all about angle. Do not use any more pressure than the knife provides. Putting pressure on a diamond will wear it out quickly. In should all feel very natural. Just relax and focus on the angle. Which in your case means keeping the knife straight as you pass it over the angled rods.

You MUST get it sharp on the courser stones before proceeding to the finer ones.
toeterbaas

Post by toeterbaas »

I made a pic of the edge does it look ok? It is sharp as **** but dont shave hair

farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

toeterbaas wrote:
Like someone else mentioned, only use very lite pressure, I just use the weight of the blade. Sometimes I will change the vertical angle I hold and spend some time near the tip, just don't let the blade slide off the rod or you will start to round the point.

toeterbaas

Post by toeterbaas »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Have you watched the dvd that came with the sharpmaker? It shows how to hold the knife. If not here it is on youtube. You want to hold the blade perfectly vertical. For me standing a little further back helps as does using my kitchen table instead of my kitchen counter. My table is a little lower and it gets me up looking down at my work better. With time you will establish muscle memory (which is 90% of sharpening) and it will get easier to be more vertical and importantly consistently vertical. Consistency is also a big part of sharpening. Every stroke will never be exactly the same but the closer they are the better.

https://youtu.be/5LBDnJv5B58

You do not want to use very much pressure with the diamond stones. Too much pressure can damage them. The saying is "let the diamonds do the work". You will find that they remove metal very fast, especially when new. Diamond stones break in and start out more aggressive so if your stone freak you out a little at first keep in mind that they will settle down after a while.

When reprofiling the edge you can do one side until you raise a bur or start hitting the edge and then do the other side. When microbeveling I would alternate every pass. At least that is how I do it.
Yes i already watched that video but it is to long and to much talk for me.
toeterbaas

Post by toeterbaas »

Thanks for all the tips
Wil try the diamonds tomorow.
Should i go left right left right left right ?
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

toeterbaas wrote:Thanks for all the tips
Me personally - reprofiling to 30 degrees, I stick to 1 side until I get a nice burr. Then, switch to the other side only until the burr has been pushed over. A complete burr along the entire edge is important. This part takes time, be patient, and plan on 30-45 minutes. (it can take less, but this part takes the longest)

When I got to 40 degrees for the microbevel, I switch off every pass. Left, right, left, right, etc. This stage goes quick
toeterbaas

Post by toeterbaas »

ZMW wrote:
toeterbaas wrote:Thanks for all the tips
Me personally - reprofiling to 30 degrees, I stick to 1 side until I get a nice burr. Then, switch to the other side only until the burr has been pushed over. A complete burr along the entire edge is important. This part takes time, be patient, and plan on 30-45 minutes. (it can take less, but this part takes the longest)

When I got to 40 degrees for the microbevel, I switch off every pass. Left, right, left, right, etc. This stage goes quick
Ok so i can do 30 degrees then?
Left Left Left Left , Right Right Right Right

Does it takes that long with diamonds to?
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

I use CBN rods (similar to diamonds) and reprofiling vg10 or s30v still takes me maybe 30 minutes to get it nice and sharp. But only a couple minutes on the 40 degree micro bevel. I am not a pro though...
toeterbaas

Post by toeterbaas »

Can you show me your edge of your knife ?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Stropping firmly on a piece of leather really helps.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
toeterbaas

Post by toeterbaas »

ZrowsN1s wrote:Stropping firmly on a piece of leather really helps.
Will try that after tomorow:)