Red Loctite - An Official Statement from Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
valenciamanu

Re: Red Loctite - An Official Statement from Spyderco

Post by valenciamanu »

At last I could read the whole thread carefully
Thank you very much for listening to the customers.
Sorry for taking time to respond
a greeting
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

This thread should be a sticky.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Pun intended?
Siggyboy

Post by Siggyboy »

I just registered to say thank you Spyderco!

I hated red locktite on my Spydercos. I have been a customer for years and noticed it only within the last year or so, and it frustrated me. I followed this issue here and on Bladeforums and I am happy that I will not have to deal with red locktite on my future Spydercos. Once again Spyderco has shown why it is one of the best companies around in always putting out quality products for fair prices and listening to its customers.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

As an aside, the clutch bleed valve on my BMW motorcycle seized solid and needed to be replaced with a speedbleeder. I googled it to learn the valves are red loctited to the hose, explaining why I just could just not shift it, to the point the flats were getting damaged.

Reluctant to use a gas torch, as recommended by Loctite on their YouTube video, today I dipped the whole shebang into my insulated coffee mug of boiling water, much more in hope than expectation. Guess what? Yep - Freed up straight away. I really can't imagine any Spydie would be harmed by 60 seconds in hot water ....
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

ChrisinHove wrote:As an aside, the clutch bleed valve on my BMW motorcycle seized solid and needed to be replaced with a speedbleeder. I googled it to learn the valves are red loctited to the hose, explaining why I just could just not shift it, to the point the flats were getting damaged.

Reluctant to use a gas torch, as recommended by Loctite on their YouTube video, today I dipped the whole shebang into my insulated coffee mug of boiling water, much more in hope than expectation. Guess what? Yep - Freed up straight away. I really can't imagine any Spydie would be harmed by 60 seconds in hot water ....
I tried this method. Unfortunately it doesn't work on the white thread locker on Cara Cara 2 used by the maker. I boiled it, and it still stripped the screw head. Couldn't move the clip because of that.
Anyone having issues with Cara Cara better sending it in (if in US).
Chris :spyder:
nikolasga20

Post by nikolasga20 »

I'm very disappointed with spyderco screws they get stripped of easily I have quality torx drivers but those screws are so soft is not the red loctite but the screws that should be changed and spyderco should use steel screws not those materials they use in screws I don't think so they are made of stainless steel
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

nikolasga20 wrote:I'm very disappointed with spyderco screws they get stripped of easily I have quality torx drivers but those screws are so soft is not the red loctite but the screws that should be changed and spyderco should use steel screws not those materials they use in screws I don't think so they are made of stainless steel
Please share which model are these?

I have done a lot on Seki City models and they are fine. Also Taiwan one (two GBs). China made Resilience also fine. Only problem with Cara cara 2 as mentioned.
Chris :spyder:
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The screws are most certainly stainless steel. My torx is magnetized and they stick to it.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
nikolasga20

Post by nikolasga20 »

The para 2 screws that's the only one I ever had problem I own delica 4 since 2009 I red loctited all screws on it because I was worried to loose some over time and now since 2009 still working and no screws came loose but never stripped screw on delica only on pm2 and native
PaulFJY

Post by PaulFJY »

AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:17 am
adamlau wrote:Awesome. I shall celebrate by buying another Spyderco!

Buying another Spyderco isn't a celebration.

It's just called Thursday.

:D
Haha! This is two years late but I actually bought my first two Spyderco's on Thursdays. Coincident? No idea!