Thunder Ranch Endura?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dr. Snubnose

Thunder Ranch Endura?

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Just purchased an old school but, NIB 1997 Endura SE for my pocket in AUS 8, SekiJapan. It has an engraved Logo of Thunder Ranch (the Firearms Academy owned by Clint Smith in Oregon) on the blade. So I'm looking for further info from my Spyderco bros, please shed some light if you can. And allow me a few questions....The Logo....you think it's something that Thunder Ranch engraved on with a limited amount of purchased Endura, (possibly for sale or gifts from Thunder Ranch), or is this something that Spyderco might do for a company, in house? I know that Spyderco always has a special edition in the line up like for instance forum knives or special commemorative military pieces and they are so engraved. I am not aware of
Spyderco doing any (for lack of better terminology) "branded engravings" but I could be way wrong so please enlighten me. Anybody have any additional info on the "Thunder Ranch Endura" I would greatly appreciate any info. I had to chuckle when the person I purchased the knife from called it a Spyderco Thunder Ranch. Thanks in advance Doc:)
jabba359

Re: Thunder Ranch Endura?

Post by jabba359 »

I don't have any particular insight into this exact variation, but Spyderco has done branded engravings in the past, such as the C35 Q PRCA version, which featured specific laser engraving for them (in addition to the custom laser cut blade).

In fact, while not exactly laser engraving (since they were laser cut), the C35 Q lineup consisted of over 100 branded variations, so it seems like branded engravings on other models at that time wouldn't be unexpected. Even today, Spyderco continues to do custom laser branding, with the 106.7 KBPI Manix 2 being the most recent one I can think of.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

There is the "Never Summer" Native 5
NFFF.jpg
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Pics of TR Endura please!!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

It's possible that Thunder Ranch ordered a number of Spyderco knives engraved with their logo, either as "issue" items for employees, gifts for employees, or for resale. Spyderco has offered laser engraving services for at least 20 years, so the engraving could have been done by them, but it also could have been done aftermarket. Pretty sure anyone can still purchase one or more knives from Spyderco and have them engraved. Could swear there's at least one Spyderco catalog showing knives engraved as gifts for someone's wedding party.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Thunder Ranch has a cool logo, TR with a lightening bolt and I always read Clint's articles in G&A back in the day.
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

That's a knife from TR's Texas days, in '97. Clint had a small shop /pro-shop where one could buy TR-branded items, along with non-branded. Mostly FA-related, e.g. holsters, mag carriers, cups/caps/shirts etc, along with non-branded items (limited inventory). I don't recall seeing any TR Spydies, but they probably didn't stick around long.

Would be worth a phone call.
While T Ranch has been in Oregon for more than a dozen years, Clint and staff do visit the old TR-Tx range (@Flagler Ranch) for training courses from time to time during winter months when Oregon has inclement weather (e.g. when one must calculate snowdrift vs. wind drift).

That's a nice knife you have there.

kind regards,
nicked.onaut
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Thanks guys for the info I'll post a pic as soon as I have it in hand....Doc:)
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Here yah go Pictures as promised....Thunder Ranch Endura...

Doc:)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Nice Endura, it looks brand spanking new. I'm going to guess the engraving was done by someone other than Spyderco. I say that because, to the best of my knowledge, Spyderco has only ever offered custom laser engraving and, in all the examples I've ever seen, the engraved areas were blackened/darkened.

However, I could be wrong, so calling Thunder Ranch as nicked.onaut suggested might be a good idea.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
top dog

Post by top dog »

Dr.Snubnose,
That is one fantastic knife!!! I tell you what,send it to me to check it out more thoroughly and I will return it to you.......sometime later!

Now to have some Thunder Ranch guns to go along with that knife!!!!

Top Dog
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Like the knife doc, how about a TRS Les Baer to go with it.

Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

farnorthdan wrote:Like the knife doc, how about a TRS Les Baer to go with it.

Very Very NICE!......Doc:)
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

That is really badarse and if it had a real pocket clip I might try to buy it off of you! Really cool piece as you rebuild your collection
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

twinboysdad wrote:That is really badarse and if it had a real pocket clip I might try to buy it off of you! Really cool piece as you rebuild your collection
To tell you the truth...I absolutely adore the old style integral clip.... Never lost a spyderco from the pocket with one. Just the other day my sweatshirt bottom kept lifting my Native right out the pocket. Talk about an unreal pocket clip... Hmmm... Not to worry the Endura replaces the Native. Doc:)
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:That is really badarse and if it had a real pocket clip I might try to buy it off of you! Really cool piece as you rebuild your collection
To tell you the truth...I absolutely adore the old style integral clip.... Never lost a spyderco from the pocket with one. Just the other day my sweatshirt bottom kept lifting my Native right out the pocket. Talk about an unreal pocket clip... Hmmm... Not to worry the Endura replaces the Native. Doc:)
Agree on retention I just broke them easily!