A G10 lover's envy for FRN

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

A G10 lover's envy for FRN

Post by Evil D »

I highly highly highly prefer G10 over FRN. I just do. I can grind/cut/sand it to my liking, it's strong and light, doesn't absorb heat or cold, it's just a great material for handle scales.

But, I really miss having a textured handle like you get with FRN. My first Spyderco was the Native lightweight and what really got my attention was the handle pattern and how it proudly said NATIVE in the middle. It was just so cool. The texture was effective but not overly aggressive.

I like the bidirectional texturing, but in some ways I don't. I don't like how it has a "border" around it. This pretty much prevents me from modding the handle shape because if I get up onto the texturing it becomes so obvious. I like G10 for how it can be modified to look like it was never modded at all.

If there's one thing I see from other brands that make me jealous, it's G10 texturing. An example of one that I really like is the ZT 0300 serious of knives, the G10 texture is effective but not pocket shredding, and it has a little contouring to it (another thing I'd love to see more of even if only a little bit).

Peel ply texture is great. It works. But if I'm honest, it's so boring. All my knives have boring flat lifeless scales. I like peel ply CF because at least I can see a little CF weave showing through.

Anyway. Here's to hoping for something like this in the future. Yeah I could get custom scales but they're a little pricey. I'd be willing to pay a bit more for factory knives if they had nice shapely scales.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Deacon

Re: A G10 lover's envy for FRN

Post by The Deacon »

It's been done by custom scale makers and both custom pistol grip makers and gun manufacturers, so aside from the initial investment and the added cost of the extra time it takes to machine them, there's no earthly reason it can't be done by Spyderco.

Personally, I'd rather see that done with scales of one of the "engineered wood products" like Dymondwood or Pakawood, but it certainly works with G-10.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Second. I like the textured G-10 a lot more than the standard.

On the other hand, I think I'm mostly an FRN guy at this point.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Evil D wrote:I highly highly highly prefer G10 over FRN. I just do. I can grind/cut/sand it to my liking, it's strong and light, doesn't absorb heat or cold, it's just a great material for handle scales.

But, I really miss having a textured handle like you get with FRN. My first Spyderco was the Native lightweight and what really got my attention was the handle pattern and how it proudly said NATIVE in the middle. It was just so cool. The texture was effective but not overly aggressive.

I like the bidirectional texturing, but in some ways I don't. I don't like how it has a "border" around it. This pretty much prevents me from modding the handle shape because if I get up onto the texturing it becomes so obvious. I like G10 for how it can be modified to look like it was never modded at all.

If there's one thing I see from other brands that make me jealous, it's G10 texturing. An example of one that I really like is the ZT 0300 serious of knives, the G10 texture is effective but not pocket shredding, and it has a little contouring to it (another thing I'd love to see more of even if only a little bit).

Peel ply texture is great. It works. But if I'm honest, it's so boring. All my knives have boring flat lifeless scales. I like peel ply CF because at least I can see a little CF weave showing through.

Anyway. Here's to hoping for something like this in the future. Yeah I could get custom scales but they're a little pricey. I'd be willing to pay a bit more for factory knives if they had nice shapely scales.
With the shiniest of footprints, Emerson's G10 is the most abrasive ever. Maybe it has a dual use of allowing "operators" to sand off corns on their feet while in combat?
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

I prefer G10 as well. That's why I got the Byrd Cara Cara and Meadow Lark so I basically could have a Endura and Delica with G10 scales. Granted the blade steel isn't as good but for the price it's a deal. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Those textures are part of the reason I love FRN but enjoying carving myself I also like to work with G10 myself and really enjoy the material.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

twinboysdad wrote:
Evil D wrote:I highly highly highly prefer G10 over FRN. I just do. I can grind/cut/sand it to my liking, it's strong and light, doesn't absorb heat or cold, it's just a great material for handle scales.

With the shiniest of footprints, Emerson's G10 is the most abrasive ever. Maybe it has a dual use of allowing "operators" to sand off corns on their feet while in combat?
:D I had a good laugh at that. I ruined a lot of pockets with Ernies knives, looked like mice had chewed the pockets. They do break in, but when they are new they are like sandpaper. I'm sure if you asked Mr. Emerson he would tell you it's supposed to be that grippy for "functional" reasons (like sanding corns ;) ).

I would like to see more 3D contoured G-10 and 2 color g-10. And more linerless CF! :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Donut

Post by Donut »

Boomer's scales are pretty reasonably price, IMO.

I want to see some more smooth G-10 or smooth Micarta or Anso patterened G-10. I also like the 3d textured scales Lionsteel produces.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
carl3989

Post by carl3989 »

I'm sorry would someone tell me what is "FRN"?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

carl3989 wrote:I'm sorry would someone tell me what is "FRN"?
Fiberglass Reinforced Nylon.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I'm a big G10 fan too David, just like it better. Like Brian though, I'd love to see some more polished Micarta or even unpolished, how cool would that be.

FRN,, fiberglass reinforced nylon.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I'll take FRN any day, except when it's -20° Celcius or colder.
- best wishes, Jazz.
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Textured G10 and textured titanium seem like a treat for those disinclined towards FRN. Can carbon fiber be textured without ruining its swanky goodness?

More FRN for me, please.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

carl3989 wrote:I'm sorry would someone tell me what is "FRN"?

As the others have said, it stands for fiberglass reinforced nylon, which is the stuff you find on the Salt knives and the non G10 Delica, etc. It's good stuff too since it can be molded into shapes but since I like to mod my knives I prefer G10.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I agree on the modding. Only black FRN doesn't really show the sandpaper stain, and it does look crappy if you ruin the lines on the FRN.
- best wishes, Jazz.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Evil D wrote: If there's one thing I see from other brands that make me jealous, it's G10 texturing. An example of one that I really like is the ZT 0300 serious of knives, the G10 texture is effective but not pocket shredding, and it has a little contouring to it (another thing I'd love to see more of even if only a little bit).
Peel ply texture is great. It works. But if I'm honest, it's so boring. All my knives have boring flat lifeless scales.
+1
The Deacon wrote: Personally, I'd rather see that done with scales of one of the "engineered wood products" like Dymondwood or Pakawood,
or real wood :)

+1000
I am with you brothers
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Variety is the spice of life. I wouldn't mind seeing machined G10 on some of the folders.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Evil D wrote: Peel ply texture is great. It works. But if I'm honest, it's so boring. All my knives have boring flat lifeless scales. I like peel ply CF because at least I can see a little CF weave showing through.
Take a look at the new Polestar and Alcyon G10 with the weave in it- it's translucent, yet detailed with the square weave and grippy.

Also, great guys like RGT, Eric Shepherd and Cuscadi can provide you with something utterly jaw dropping for not much in the way of beer tokens.
The Deacon wrote: Personally, I'd rather see that done with scales of one of the "engineered wood products" like Dymondwood or Pakawood,
While variety is the spice of life and so on but I must apologize in advance as I say:- I've yet to see a folder with either of those type of colored laminated wood materials that doesn't look horribly cheap and nasty......The Halpern scales for Mule in Dymondwood look pretty good, if only because the chequering hides most of them and they are in fairly 'natural' colourations.

There's one I think called 'Frostwood' or something which is layers of green and red material?- Boy, when you look a contoured folder scale in that material it looks like you melted all your crayons into a lump.

As they say on Arrakis: You may judge a man by what he hates. :)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

twinboysdad wrote: Maybe it has a dual use of allowing "operators" to sand off corns on their feet while in combat?
I have used Spyderco's peel ply CF to file fingernails on occasion when more task specific tools were unavailable. Does a great job, haha.

Ken
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

demoncase wrote:While variety is the spice of life and so on but I must apologize in advance as I say:- I've yet to see a folder with either of those type of colored laminated wood materials that doesn't look horribly cheap and nasty......The Halpern scales for Mule in Dymondwood look pretty good, if only because the chequering hides most of them and they are in fairly 'natural' colourations.

There's one I think called 'Frostwood' or something which is layers of green and red material?- Boy, when you look a contoured folder scale in that material it looks like you melted all your crayons into a lump.

As they say on Arrakis: You may judge a man by what he hates. :)
No argument there. I've seen some pretty hideous color combos in Dymondwood. However, in fairness, I've seen equally hideous ones in two tone G-10 and some once beautiful burl wood totally ruined by dying it to a totally unnatural color.

When I suggest stabilized plywood, it's because I enjoy the look of wood, so I'm thinking of coloring along the lines of the grips on these revolvers...

Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!