Spyderco/Phil Wilson Bow River

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Paul W

Re: Spyderco/Phil Wilson Bow River

Post by Paul W »

marshy wrote:As a side note, and perhaps Sal and Mr Wilson can chime in here, I see under Mr Wilson's article page, he mentions the Bow River in his article -Ä new knife design" and mentions that "The blade shape can vary from drop pt, semi skinner and a trailing pt"

What blade shape would the Spyderco / Phil Wilson co-lab look to use? Or would there perhaps be an option of two?

What would you like to see?
Something like this in S90V and green G10 would be a real treat, and would continue on from the other 2 collaborations.

//forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=68030
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

marshy wrote:As a side note, and perhaps Sal and Mr Wilson can chime in here, I see under Mr Wilson's article page, he mentions the Bow River in his article -Ä new knife design" and mentions that "The blade shape can vary from drop pt, semi skinner and a trailing pt"

What blade shape would the Spyderco / Phil Wilson co-lab look to use? Or would there perhaps be an option of two?

What would you like to see?

Hey marshy, there was a bow river in the prototype cabinet at the Blade show and it as a trailing point...probably about 4". I have several of phil's knives but don't have a bow river. It's a nice looking design though!
marshy

Post by marshy »

Surfingringo wrote:Hey marshy, there was a bow river in the prototype cabinet at the Blade show and it as a trailing point...probably about 4". I have several of phil's knives but don't have a bow river. It's a nice looking design though!
I hope someone was able to snap a pic! :D
Tenacious, PM3, PM2, Southfork, Sustain
animportant

Post by animportant »

Saw prototype. Its really pretty. Id like one in cpm 154.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Sal already confirmed earlier in this thread that the knife will be a value line blade made in China. Going by that it probably means the steel will be BD1 or 8cr13mov. They have discussed using Sandvik steel in China before so it would be pretty interesting if they used that instead.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would love to see a premium version and a budget version both offered. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Do hope they offer different blade options.. (really like the drop point)
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I would love to see a premium version and a budget version both offered. :)
I doubt that will happen, Sal mentioned that the factory in China can't work with the higher end steels and I don't think Spyderco would make one knife in China and another in Taichung. Sandvik steels seem to be available in China so it would be interesting to see a Bow River in 14C28N, it has good corrosion resistance and edge stability.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
marshy

Post by marshy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I would love to see a premium version and a budget version both offered. :)
If only! But as discussed, I think there will only be a budget version, but how "budget" it will be needs to be seen :)
Joris Mo wrote:Do hope they offer different blade options.. (really like the drop point)
Now that's an idea! Hmmmm a trailing point and a drop point perhaps?
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

Johnnie1801 wrote:
I doubt that will happen, Sal mentioned that the factory in China can't work with the higher end steels and I don't think Spyderco would make one knife in China and another in Taichung. Sandvik steels seem to be available in China so it would be interesting to see a Bow River in 14C28N, it has good corrosion resistance and edge stability.

The important question for me pertains to Phil Wilson's specification of how to configure Spyderco's version of his Bow River, and how close the end result adheres to that.
Sleeping Dog

Post by Sleeping Dog »

I am very interested in a value Phil Wilson colab with Spyderco. I love the look of the southfork but can't justify the money, and I think the sprig will be too small for what I intend to use it for.
marshy

Post by marshy »

Let's bump this back to the top :) any more news or traction around this? :)
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I'd love to see a drop point on this one. We already have a trailing point with the Southfork with not all that much difference in blade length.

I like S90V, but I'm less enthusiastic about it after living with it for a while now. I just don't enjoy the sharpening process with my "rods n strop" setup (includes diamond rods and diamond bench stones). That said just to note, a different steel would interest me maybe even more than S90V being offered here.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Sleeping Dog

Post by Sleeping Dog »

I would like a user hunting knife, so the drop point would be my preferred profile.

Any more news on this knife?
sal

Post by sal »

Received sample. It wasn't acceptable. Still waiting for next sample.

sal
marshy

Post by marshy »

sal wrote:Received sample. It wasn't acceptable. Still waiting for next sample.

sal
Sal,

Any chance of some clues around blade material and blade shape? :D :o
Paul W

Post by Paul W »

marshy wrote:
sal wrote:Received sample. It wasn't acceptable. Still waiting for next sample.

sal
Sal,

Any chance of some clues around blade material and blade shape? :D :o
Yes please here as well Sal :)
Fargo203

Post by Fargo203 »

Would love to have one in k390, maxamet, pma11 maybe s90v etc. If it's done in a "buget" steel I will have to pass
sal

Post by sal »

The current plan is to make the knife in China with 8Cr13MoV.

sal
marshy

Post by marshy »

sal wrote:The current plan is to make the knife in China with 8Cr13MoV.

sal
I know assumption is an evil thing, but it if costing falls in line with the blade steel, I can see myself buying at least half a dozen of these :D