Spyderco/Phil Wilson Bow River

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fargo203

Re: Spyderco/Phil Wilson Bow River

Post by Fargo203 »

That's a huge disappointment
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

sal wrote:The current plan is to make the knife in China with 8Cr13MoV.

sal
Happy to hear it! We are way overdue for an affordable "user" version of one of Phil's designs. Those Taichung models are beautiful but at the price they go for, too many of them spend their lives in display cases or sock drawers. Phil's designs are too darn good to live that kind of life. Bring on the 8cr13! I'm in for a couple!
marshy

Post by marshy »

Surfingringo wrote:
sal wrote:The current plan is to make the knife in China with 8Cr13MoV.

sal
Happy to hear it! We are way overdue for an affordable "user" version of one of Phil's designs. Those Taichung models are beautiful but at the price they go for, too many of them spend their lives in display cases or sock drawers. Phil's designs are too darn good to live that kind of life. Bring on the 8cr13! I'm in for a couple!
That's the spirit!!! :D

I'm already making a list of which family members I'll buy for and how many I'll need myself
Tenacious, PM3, PM2, Southfork, Sustain
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

I would personally prefer Phil Wilson knife in some higer end steel too, but I can see the plan. There are already two such models on the market. Sal and co are trying to bring the "Phil Wilson experience " to more people. Let's be honest $200 for a knife is lot for many , including me. When it will be 8Cr13Mov and China made it wil be sub $100, I suppose. If it'll be 4" or more with nice thin edge, I'm in for sure.
Nate

Post by Nate »

No disappointment here. This model shouldn't preclude other high end Wilson collabs/sprints down the line for people who only want those.

Assuming the low cost model happens, I'll likely be in for at least 4 to cover myself and gifts.
:spyder:
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I am looking forward to this one. Did we hear hints about the blade shape? Hoping for a drop point.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

The one I saw in the prototype cabinet was trailing point I believe.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Personally I was hoping to see a continuation of the S90V, Green G-10 in the Phil Wilson line of knives but doesn’t matter, doesn’t matter. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, a Chinese 8Cr13MoV knife with Mr Wilson’s signature on the blade should prove interesting if nothing else. :)

Now I’m a thinking man and I’m thinking … if a Buck (420HC) Paklite 5-1/4” boning knife with nylon sheath made in the USA retails at $US18.95, a Cold Steel (4116 Krupp) 4” Canadian Belt Knife with a plastic sheath made in Taiwan retails at $US13.95, a Mora (12C27) Basic 3-5/8” with plastic sheath made in Sweden retails at $US11.95 and a CRKT (8Cr14MoV) 3-5/8” Obake with polymer sheath made in China retails at $US37.95, the Bow River in 8Cr14MoV made in China with a sheath should be a steal at around $US25-40. :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Bloke,

Can't consider price until we know costs. We'll make it s good s we can make it With the maker we're working with. I'm sure Phil will be a great help. Any thoughts on a sheath?

sal
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

sal wrote:Hi Bloke,

Can't consider price until we know costs. We'll make it s good s we can make it With the maker we're working with. I'm sure Phil will be a great help. Any thoughts on a sheath?

sal
Thank you for your reply Mr Glesser. :)

I'm probably not the one to suggest sheath design as I don't carry knives on my belt so as long as the knife comes with a sheath or blade guard that stays in place I'll be happy but even if it doesn't I make some super sheaths out of cardboard and insulation tape. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

8Cr14MoV totally makes sense from a business standpoint. I'm hoping it sells really well because it would open the door for a sprint run.

I would probably go with a leather sheath because they seem to have less problems than retention issues on kydex. That being said I really prefer kydex.

Sal, would 80Crv2 ever be an option for some of the budget knives? Its not a stainless but I really like what it offers.
Sleeping Dog

Post by Sleeping Dog »

I would vote for a plastic or kydex sheath, only because this will be a work knife and they are less maintenance and dry faster than leather sheaths.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Leather sheath for me on that knife if it's an option.
marshy

Post by marshy »

Surfingringo wrote:Leather sheath for me on that knife if it's an option.
^^ me as well please
Tenacious, PM3, PM2, Southfork, Sustain
Holland

Post by Holland »

Surfingringo wrote:Leather sheath for me on that knife if it's an option.
+1 that would be pretty cool
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I like leather sheaths, but if you're going to China for an affordable offering, then adding a leather sheath would seem to work against that goal. Good point above about this being a working knife too, possibly putting away wet.

If this was my company (and guess what...it's not ;)) I don't think I would continue to do business in a country that promotes a culture of counterfeiting my products as acceptable. We all pay for that as legal fees hit the bottom line and flow into cost. But then again, I don't know the revenue the Chinese products generate, so I'm sure there's a sensible business perspective too.

Beyond that, I'm still a little surprised that a Phil Wilson collab would drop down to the lower end of the spectrum with a Chinese model. These collab's are almost like sub-brands in my mind, and the Phil Wilson sub-brand (was) high end, with high end steel. It's almost like Lexus making a Corolla-Lexus all of sudden. Maybe if it was a Byrd it wouldn't strike me the same way. But whatever, just my $.02...hope it's a winner.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

If it's not too late, can you consider 9cr18mov instead? If the price is still cheap, it gives some people a chance to use and try 9cr18mov rather then the 8cr that most everyone has in Byrds and the tenacious family. I like my MT5 a lot, and it's a fine steel. Added corrosion resistance is a plus and the lure of a lesser known/used steel. I think it makes sense if the cost is not that different
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mb1,

The high end Wilson's are not selling well because of the high cost. The quality is there, as are the materials. The design is very good, but the number of people that can and will spend that much of a fixed blade knife is a small number. In discussing this with Phil, we decided to try the alternative, which is China made.

Hey ZMW,

With China made, it depends on the steels that the maker can work with. All of the 9Cr19MoV mules were all slightly warped. Many of the makers are afraid to work with it. Perhaps in time?

sal
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Thanks Sal! Always appreciate you taking time to respond
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Thank you for explanation, Sal. It is nice to know some inside information.
I hope it will be drop point, leather sheat, thick round handle and nice balance. Southfork is a bit handle heavy. But for a good price, I would buy a trail point and boltaron sheath too :)