Slipjoints rock!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
murphjd25

Slipjoints rock!

Post by murphjd25 »

I just wanted to say how much I am in love with slip joints at the moment. They are probably very underrated and I passed at them for the longest time because they didn't have a "lock". Boy was I ever wrong. These are my first two slipjoints since my very first knife my grandpa gave me 16 years ago, an old case ivory. Spyderco does a great job at making them and I am just overly impressed. Thanks to all you enablers for helping me finally get over my fear of not having a "lock". These are two beautiful pieces I look to carry for the rest of my life and hand down. As Sal said, these have the best power to weight ratio on a knife right now! They are just awesome and I highly recommend to anyone to give a Spyderco slipjoint a try! A very happy camper here! (Sorry for the crappy picture)

Josh
SG89

Re: Slipjoints rock!

Post by SG89 »

Agreed! Image
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I never thought I'd like the slipits as much as I do. Glad I decided to 'em a try.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Sharp Guy wrote:I never thought I'd like the slipits as much as I do. Glad I decided to 'em a try.
Amen brother! So am I!
Josh
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Glad you are all finally seeing the light ;)
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Now all you have to do is give up your guns and you can move here, to the U.K!
:D

I'll get my coat .....
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Lately, I can't get the K390 Urban out of my pocket.It has something magic in it :eek: I love the little sucker ;)

Marius
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

ChrisinHove wrote:Now all you have to do is give up your guns and you can move here, to the U.K!

I'll get my coat .....
Ha! :eek:
elena86 wrote:Lately, I can't get the K390 Urban out of my pocket.It has something magic in it :eek: I love the little sucker ;)
K390 Urban is with me today!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
ChrisinHove wrote:Now all you have to do is give up your guns and you can move here, to the U.K!

I'll get my coat .....
elena86 wrote:Lately, I can't get the K390 Urban out of my pocket.It has something magic in it :eek: I love the little sucker ;)
I thought I'll like the S110V UKPK more than the K390 Urban, but imagine that : I don't ! It's weird :eek:

Marius
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

elena86 wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:

I'll get my coat .....
I thought I'll like the S110V UKPK more than the K390 Urban, but imagine that : I don't ! It's weird :eek:

Marius

I think I agree with this one. That urban is great.
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

I have never handled a slipjoint, but I immediately think why would I want a folder that does not lock? I am sure its not dangerous or spyderco would not make it and you guys would not rave about it. But seriously, you guys love these knives? Do I need one now - for such a small price and great steel I may have to try it.

When you are cutting (or the moment you cut through a tough piece of material like double sided cardboard), there is no concern about the blade moving?

Keep selling me on this! Thanks guys
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Yes get one Z!!!
Josh
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I also like the urban better, the UKPK doesn't feel as solid to me plus that K390 is like a razor, love the grind, actually grabbed a backup just in case, you know the sickness and all ;)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

haha, well alright I think i will get one. Is k390 a sprint run?
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

ZMW wrote:haha, well alright I think i will get one. Is k390 a sprint run?
Yep
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

ZMW wrote:When you are cutting (or the moment you cut through a tough piece of material like double sided cardboard), there is no concern about the blade moving?
When actually cutting, the force is holding the blade open. Stabbing cuts maybe, if the point is low like a warncliffe and you judge it wrong. Other than that I can't think of any cutting operation where I'm pushing the spine up. However I'm used to slip joints so maybe subconsciously take precautions.

If you want to try one, the Urban is a great example, the shorter blade means even less likelihood of enough leverage to close unexpectedly. Personally I like the extra length from the UKPK, but my Urbans have better steel (I have the Elmax and the K390 versions).
---------
Tony S
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Order placed. You guys are a bunch of enablers!!! :)

Looking forward to trying this steel out! I assume since its a shorter handle that you always use the choil, so the blade closing on your hand is extremely slim - besides the half stop and other measures.
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

ZMW wrote:I have never handled a slipjoint, but I immediately think why would I want a folder that does not lock? I am sure its not dangerous or spyderco would not make it and you guys would not rave about it. But seriously, you guys love these knives? Do I need one now - for such a small price and great steel I may have to try it.

When you are cutting (or the moment you cut through a tough piece of material like double sided cardboard), there is no concern about the blade moving?

Locks didn't really exist on knives until the mid 20th century. Our grandparents and great grandparents used slipjoints. There are several great traditional slipjoint companies still making slipjoints. Ever heard of Victorinox Swiss Army knives? They make more knives than any other company, and the vast majority don't have a lock. There's nothing dangerous about a well designed slipjoint.
Nate

Post by Nate »

ZMW wrote: When you are cutting (or the moment you cut through a tough piece of material like double sided cardboard), there is no concern about the blade moving?

I know you already ordered and I support this, but other than not being great blades to stab or pierce with, I want to mention that if the blade ever gets wedged in a cut for some reason and you need to back it out, extra care is needed. Yes, your finger is usually going to be in the choil and that will generally stop you before anything bad happens, but it's something to be aware of.
:spyder:
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Thanks Nate, good to know!