Slipjoints rock!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kbuzbee

Re: Slipjoints rock!

Post by kbuzbee »

ZMW wrote:Order placed. You guys are a bunch of enablers!!! :)

Looking forward to trying this steel out! I assume since its a shorter handle that you always use the choil, so the blade closing on your hand is extremely slim - besides the half stop and other measures.
Congrats. Based on my experience, you'll love it. Yes, finger in choil is part of the safety design

Ken
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Z, one of the things I love about these slip joints is that without a lock, they are extremely light and a bit thinner than the locking knifes. And you get to try out a premium steel for under 1 bill.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have been carrying my ULW K390 daily. It has not kicked my beloved Delica out of my pocket, but I actually use the ULW more for simple things. I am in love with this knife. I never cottoned to the UKPK or Squeak. I do really like the Pingo, which has the best action/walk and talk. But the feel and actual useability (I know, it is not a word) of this knife is superior. I cannot seem to keep it out of my pocket or out of my hand.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Doc Dan wrote:I have been carrying my ULW K390 daily. It has not kicked my beloved Delica out of my pocket, but I actually use the ULW more for simple things. I am in love with this knife. I never cottoned to the UKPK or Squeak. I do really like the Pingo, which has the best action/walk and talk. But the feel and actual useability (I know, it is not a word) of this knife is superior. I cannot seem to keep it out of my pocket or out of my hand.
I know you like the Dfly2 also.How would you compare these two ? Just curious.It's interesting but it seems we both like the Delica,the Dfly2 and the Urban.For me it's a torment to chose one for my edc every morning :eek:

Marius
Donut

Post by Donut »

I was talking to a dealer at a gun show today and asked him if he had the S110V UKPK.

He says that he doesn't carry ANY slipjoints and that the only reason they were made was because of the laws in the UK.

I think he's a little crazy, but what do I know?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

He's crazy and I'll informed. :D
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

elena86 wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:I have been carrying my ULW K390 daily. It has not kicked my beloved Delica out of my pocket, but I actually use the ULW more for simple things. I am in love with this knife. I never cottoned to the UKPK or Squeak. I do really like the Pingo, which has the best action/walk and talk. But the feel and actual useability (I know, it is not a word) of this knife is superior. I cannot seem to keep it out of my pocket or out of my hand.
I know you like the Dfly2 also.How would you compare these two ? Just curious.It's interesting but it seems we both like the Delica,the Dfly2 and the Urban.For me it's a torment to chose one for my edc every morning :eek:

Marius
I have that problem. I normally carry a Delica if I am in jeans. It fits into the watch pocket nicely. However, between the ULW and DF2 the choice is very difficult. I like the size of the ULW better. For me, it is the perfect pocket knife. I carried mine to church today, in fact. Normally I carry a DF2. If the ULW had a back lock and was other wise the same, there would be no competition.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

Donut wrote:I was talking to a dealer at a gun show today and asked him if he had the S110V UKPK.
He says that he doesn't carry ANY slipjoints and that the only reason they were made was because of the laws in the UK.
Even over here the legal position is not as well known as it should be. The applicable law applies an exemption for a "folding pocketknife" with cutting edge not exceeding three inches (S139). A court determined that a locking knife is not "folding" within the meaning of that Act (Harris v DPP). I wouldn't be surprised if many in the UK are still unaware or unclear.

When I bought my first non-locking EDC from the hunting/fishing shop it was the only non-locker they carried, and the proprietor himself an ex-cop clearly thought I was nutty.
---------
Tony S
jdw

Post by jdw »

I have absolutely fallen in love with my ULW. I haven't purchased a slip joint in years and like some other folks on the board I bought it to try the steel and discovered that it is one awesome knife. In fact I have found a whole new way to spend money on Spydies. I now have a Ti/Elmax Pingo on the way and I would really appreciate any feedback from folks out there who already have one of those.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Nate

Post by Nate »

Donut wrote:I was talking to a dealer at a gun show today and asked him if he had the S110V UKPK.

Haha, I wonder how many cases full of slip-joint traditionals were at that show? :confused:

I would say I'm a fan of the UKPK and Urban because they're outstanding overall designs first, but I've actually found the lack of a lock to be pretty convenient sometimes. The extra slimness and low cost are also nice benefits.
:spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I have a sort of love hate relationship with slip joints. I don't​really mind that they don't lock, but I really don't like the snappy closing action. I had a Kiwi 3 for a while until it chopped the tip of my pinky off during closing. I can understand the desire for some level of close bias, but with that knife once the blade was more than about 2/3 closed it would snap shut like a mouse trap. For that reason if I can't have a lock, I'd just assume have a friction folder.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Donut

Post by Donut »

Nate wrote:

Haha, I wonder how many cases full of slip-joint traditionals were at that show? :confused:

I would say I'm a fan of the UKPK and Urban because they're outstanding overall designs first, but I've actually found the lack of a lock to be pretty convenient sometimes. The extra slimness and low cost are also nice benefits.
That's pretty funny, there were a lot!

Almost as many traditional slipjoints as there were knockoff chinese (2 for $11) and really crazy made fixed blades (machetes kuhkri's I saw a Tom Brown Tracker clone) with design over function.
Last edited by Donut on Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Evil D wrote:I have a sort of love hate relationship with slip joints. I don't​really mind that they don't lock, but I really don't like the snappy closing action. I had a Kiwi 3 for a while until it chopped the tip of my pinky off during closing. I can understand the desire for some level of close bias, but with that knife once the blade was more than about 2/3 closed it would snap shut like a mouse trap. For that reason if I can't have a lock, I'd just assume have a friction folder.
That Chinese made Kiwi was kind of an odd case. I have one and it doesn't see any use. I remember the "too strong for any real purpose" closed retention. I don't remember if it had the 90 degree stop. The 90 degree stop gives you a chance to get out of the way before you push it closed. If I'm out of the way already, I can just push past the 90 degree stop.

The slipjoint Kiwi, and most Chinese made slipjoints (bug series) and even many of the Chinese made lockbacks in the Byrd line had the problem that they were designed or executed to have perference to the closed retention (which makes opening difficult) and not as much to be a useful knife.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Evil D wrote:I have a sort of love hate relationship with slip joints. I don't​really mind that they don't lock, but I really don't like the snappy closing action. I had a Kiwi 3 for a while until it chopped the tip of my pinky off during closing. I can understand the desire for some level of close bias, but with that knife once the blade was more than about 2/3 closed it would snap shut like a mouse trap. For that reason if I can't have a lock, I'd just assume have a friction folder.
I haven't noticed the self-close on the Urbans or UKPKs is much different, if any, than the back-lock :spyder:s I have. Just say the word if you'd like to test drive one for a week or two.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Nate wrote:
I haven't noticed the self-close on the Urbans or UKPKs is much different, if any, than the back-lock :spyder:s I have. Just say the word if you'd like to test drive one for a week or two.

I may take you up on that. For most of my uses I could honestly live without a lock. I really liked the PITS because (correct me if I'm wrong) it seemed like the blade pivoted fairly freely until the top spring engaged the notch in the blade. Back when I used my knives a lot for work, one of the things I preferred was being able to open/cut/close a knife one handed, which is made that much easier if there's no long at all. I grew up using almost exclusively Case knives so it's something I'm sure I can adjust to.

I will say this though, for any knife that doesn't have a lock, I think it's a good idea to have a 50/50 choil, so that the choil will close onto your finger instead of the edge.
~David
Nate

Post by Nate »

The PITS is very tempting, but a couple things have stopped me from pulling the trigger.

In general, I haven't warmed up to metal scales, and then the lack of a 50/50 choil. I think the design makes it pretty safe without it, but I'm so used to having them on all the folders I regularly carry that I've come close grabbing the edge a few times when I've stuck something else in my pocket. :eek:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

That's one reason I like friction folders, they tend to have an extended tang that you grip when open that prevents the blade from closing. I've used my Svord Peasant quite a bit and haven't missed the lock. I've even batoned with that knife.
~David
Nate

Post by Nate »

Yeah, I don't use it a ton anymore, since I have so many other knives now, but I have an orange-handled Peasant that is my "garage knife." It's a little bulky for carry, but is great for nasty jobs like scraping off the crap off the inside of my lawnmower deck. :)
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

Evil D wrote:I had a Kiwi 3 for a while until it chopped the tip of my pinky off during closing. I can understand the desire for some level of close bias, but with that knife once the blade was more than about 2/3 closed it would snap shut like a mouse trap. For that reason if I can't have a lock, I'd just assume have a friction folder.
I got a nip from a Victorinox when I fumbled opening it and it snapped back shut. That's not going happen with a Spyderco. However I do think that the amount of force needed to overcome the half stop on the Urban might lead to similar on closing.
---------
Tony S
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Just got my UKPK s110v in the mail today (plus another I'm gifting to one of my employees who I send to Europe a couple times a year).

Can't wait to start EDCing it. :)