Slipjoints rock!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Thorien

Re: Slipjoints rock!

Post by Thorien »

Still waiting for my UKPK S110V to reach me here in the UK, but have to agree with the sentiment of the OP. Slip joints are great!
Love the Urban and the UKPK and can't wait for Sal to tell us more about when the Metropolitan (2.75") will be released...
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Thorien wrote:Still waiting for my UKPK S110V to reach me here in the UK, but have to agree with the sentiment of the OP. Slip joints are great!
Love the Urban and the UKPK and can't wait for Sal to tell us more about when the Metropolitan (2.75") will be released...
I must of missed hearing about the "metropolitan". Tell me more!!!!
Josh
Nate

Post by Nate »

murphjd25 wrote: I must of missed hearing about the "metropolitan". Tell me more!!!!
From page 5 of the "Urban K390 in stock" thread:
sal wrote:Hi Cobra,

The Cosmopolitan was designed to be a Slipit with a 2,75" blade which would put it between the Urban and the UK. This was in my mind when I designed the SpyDK as the Cosmopolitan could be a possible future model. I know it's just a small difference, but sometimes that small difference makes a difference to some. This would give us the UK at 3.0", the Cosmo at 2.75", the Urban at 2.5" and the Squeak at 2.0" I don't know if a 2.25" blade Slipit would be viable, the Cosmo was the test bed for that concept.

Then we learned that the current Urban was longer than 2.5" (2.65") which was my bad for not catching. The difference between the current Urban and Cosmo wasn't great enough for a new model. Future Urban's will be made to meet the 2.5" blade length requirement and then we'll introduce the Cosmopolitan at 2.75" as a new model to test the 1/4" blade size difference.

Hope that makes sense.

sal
:eek: -I think they're on hold though.
:spyder:
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

:eek: This will be amazing if it ever happens!!
Josh
Nate

Post by Nate »

Since I already have a couple of the 2.65" Urbans, I'm not sure how exciting an extra tenth of an inch would be :p, but I'm not sure what other differences it might have?

Guess it makes sense to introduce the Cosmo if future Urbans will be shortened to 2.5" though. I imagine I'd be in, especially if they "test" the new model in g10. :)
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Very true Nate. My **** spydie addiction is acting up again damnit... :D
Josh
Thorien

Post by Thorien »

Dang, I missed that info about the current Urban being 2.65", guess it will be a while before that's reduced to 2.5 and the Cosmo is introduced at 2.75" then. Will have to 'make do' with the UKPK and Urban for the moment then. My Bad!
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Just got my urban lw. The slipjoint is more robust then I thought it would be, as is the half stop. Tiny little knife, it makes my delica seem like a large folder. Came pretty sharp, nice fnf knife. I am going to test out the k390 on some cardboard and see how it fairs. I do think with the choil it is a perfect small folder for med sized hands.

I am impressed so far with the slipjoint, pretty cool!

The k390 almost seems like it is forming a patina just in the package, so I will oil for now. Does k390 form a natural patina, or do you guys force one? or not necessary? I live in Phoenix so humidity is no issue
425KRS

Post by 425KRS »

I recently got a P.I.T.S, it has a cool mechanism on the top of the handle to "lock" the knife in place. But it doesnt really lock, kind of rolls into place and makes the knife hold the open position, would that be considered a slipjoint knife?

Very first time I opened it, I pinched the sh*t out of my hand lol.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Really like that PITS, been wanting one for a while now but the price is holding me back.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
425KRS

Post by 425KRS »

farnorthdan wrote:Really like that PITS, been wanting one for a while now but the price is holding me back.
I got it on a trade (I traded my GB2 for the PITS)
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

425KRS wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:Really like that PITS, been wanting one for a while now but the price is holding me back.
Good trade $$ wise, I'm sure I'll end up grabbing one someday, recent/coming drops have been keeping me busy, working that knife fund hard :o
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
425KRS

Post by 425KRS »

farnorthdan wrote:
425KRS wrote:
Good trade $$ wise, I'm sure I'll end up grabbing one someday, recent/coming drops have been keeping me busy, working that knife fund hard :o
I hear that, my knife fund is depleted right now too!

I wouldnt have got it if it wasnt for the trade (due to the cost of the PITS). I had the GB2 for a while and never used it (prefer the GB1) so it was a pretty easy decision to make in regards to the trade. And I was really curious about the PITS, cool design and actually fits really well in the hand (just have to watch out for the that top joint cause like I said it can bite ya!).
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Thought I’d bump this thread to add my voice to “slipjoints rock!”.

Although I got a few UKPKs early on and a Squeak a bit later, and like them still, I haven’t carried them much as my preferences have run decidedly to locking and larger. But with trips to restrictive Europe and now-restrictive Canada on the horizon, I’ve acquired a K390 Urban and an Elmax Urban and, just now, an Elmax Pingo. So, I’ve got choices for travel to restrictive jurisdictions, not just for size but for interesting steel.

Some observations.

First, I believe Iinerless FRN slipjoints, as currently offered, are prone to develop spinning pivots. Care must be exercised not to tighten the pivot screw too much when trying to remove side-to-side play. Otherwise, the screw, once jammed, will damage the flats in the holes of the FRN slabs as you try to extract it, and lead to a spinning pivot the more it is worked. I’m inclined to think that thread-locker may be problematical if added before making a preventive fix I stumbled upon when trying to correct my K390 Urban’s spinning pivot.

Essentially, my fix requires you to disassemble the knife and put SuperGlue into the exposed void between the still-in-place female part of the Chicago screw (put nothing in the screen hole itself!) and its FRN slab. The idea here is not to glue the screw and slab together (which may result) but to reinforce the flat and remove any room for play. Then, blue thread-locker will not be so risky.

Second, absent a spinning pivot, I think slipits the size of the Urban and Pingo are perfect go-tos for restricted travel, and at their size, do just fine without actual locks. I won’t go so far as to say locks are wasted on Chaps or DFs but they probably aren’t needed for the kind of work these models do.

Finally, eBay is getting scarier. I haven’t looked there in years for PM2s, Manixes, and the other known-to-be-popular signature Spydies. But I thought I might get away with a believably good deal I found for an Elmax Pingo. Here’s what I got on Wednesday:

FAKE! And in so many obvious ways (gap between spine and handle when closed; steel handle; painted logo reaching onto back of handle; cheap clip; terrible action and no resistance at midpoint of opening and closing). First time I’ve been had. Because the knife bears no resemblance to the photos used to sell it, I reported the transaction to eBay, they quickly intervened, and I was lucky enough to get an RMA from the seller without dispute the same day.

Oddly, as I played with the fake, I knew I just had to have a real one, and fast. Here, for $30 more, is what KnifeWorks delivered to me this morning:

All’s well that ends well.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

What Nate said. And don’t get over confident just because your folder has a “lock”. They aren’t 100% safe.

I finally got a UKPK which, for me is a Delica-killer. Ergonomically, weight, BD1N steel, blade length and shape are right where I need them. The strong detente and choil plus thumb ramp combination contributes to their safe use if you don’t get stupid and use it wrongly. Right now I carry the UKPK and my Rhino all the time.

Obviously, I don’t think a lock is a necessary requirement for a folding knife if they are made like the UKPK or Urban. If you are on the fence get one and live with it for a while. I think you will be favorably impressed.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:42 pm
What Nate said. And don’t get over confident just because your folder has a “lock”. They aren’t 100% safe.

I finally got a UKPK which, for me is a Delica-killer. Ergonomically, weight, BD1N steel, blade length and shape are right where I need them. The strong detente and choil plus thumb ramp combination contributes to their safe use if you don’t get stupid and use it wrongly. Right now I carry the UKPK and my Rhino all the time.

Obviously, I don’t think a lock is a necessary requirement for a folding knife if they are made like the UKPK or Urban. If you are on the fence get one and live with it for a while. I think you will be favorably impressed.
Where did you get your BD1N UKPK? Been trying to source one but no dealers have it listed w/ the steel change.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

From SFO.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
markg

Post by markg »

Our grandpa's built nations, went to war, hunted and fished with slipjoints in their pockets. For most cutting chores they are more than adequate. For a martial blade, or some tactical uses they maybe out of their element (but I am sure they were used for those back in the day).

When I was a younger man, I worked thru school working in warehouses, factories, and shipping/receiving depts... I carried an assortment of slipjoints (Schrade, Case, and Buck... Sorry Spyderco was just a gleam in Sal's eye back then) they worked hard and never had an issue. Frankly a lock was not needed and often would have been in the way. In reality, when you cut something, often once cut you needed to hold it with one hand, and slipjoints are easy to close one handed (brushed against your thigh).

Spyderco's UKPK is a delight. I just wished I had not sold my old drop point, G-10, S30V... If you love the current version, the older upscale one would have really got you going. It was nice. I really miss it... Hint hint... I would buy two if they remade them in that configuration.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Unless they live in a horrible place that bans locks, I don't see why anyone would choose a slipjoint. They're just the red headed stepchild of the knife world.

The P.I.T.S is the only one I've handled that was anywhere close to good. Its so dang tight!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

They are classic, traditional and the modern versions are safe if used as they are supposed to be used. A good slip joint is different because you never forget that you are using a knife and if you make bone-head moves with it you could get cut. A lesson I learned from my grandfather when I was about eight. A valuable safety feature contrasted to blind faith that your lock will save you from your screw ups.

Team Innovation