MT25P - Mule Team Fixed Blade with LC200N

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Katahdin

Re: MT25P - Mule Team Fixed Blade with LC200N

Post by Katahdin »

I was real excited about this knife, but ultimately decided it was out of my price range for what I was looking for. Hoping to hear some reviews from the regular mule testers. Know it is stainless, but how hard is it to get an edge, how long does it keep it, prone to chipping relative to other ss?

Still looking for this in a delica size folder down the road.

From a rough google search this seems to be one of the less expensive mules so hopefully not much of an exotic steel markup on production line. There was mention of a new fixed blade coming in this knife, seems like a great camp knife steel.

edit to add, that is a real knice looking leather sheath
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I never got the chance to try LC200N before, is there any Mule left for us Spydiefans over the pond?
I'm getting so much out of my Aqua Salt and Jumpmaster, and I hope I'm not too late to give this LC200N prototypes a try.
In case I can still get my hands on one, how should I proceed? Where do I have to go to buy it?
Not used to buying online from US other than Knifecenter, BladeHQ and Knifeworks

Thanks much to you all!
Katahdin

Post by Katahdin »

direct from Spyderco. I have not checked since it first came out. Since it is a limited issue and these seem to sell on ebay for a markup, I imagine the more desirable issues go quick. No idea if this steel qualifies.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

You can find it here: https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... C200N/1035

When I checked it a minute ago, it allowed me to put a couple in my cart, so I'm guessing they are still available. Sal did mention a while back that they were increasing the size of the Mule Team runs due to increased demand.

As far as performance goes, It hasn't rusted on me yet. It takes a nice edge with a little effort, but using it on the job made me miss my Maxamet Mule very quickly. Cutting up GCI weed barrier that has been in ground contact and buried under gravel for 15 years is a lot like cutting up sandpaper. Maxamet can handle a few cuts before giving up, but LC200N was one and done. Sharpen it after every cut or you'll be there for ten minutes sawing through five feet of fabric. I guess if I lived near water, the rust resistance would be a big plus, but out here in the rain shadow of the Rockies I haven't even seen a speck of corrosion develop on Maxamet, which is carefully maintained by wiping off the blade on the leg of my jeans before I put it away. I'm trying to give the new Mule a fair shake, but a couple more jobs like that one will see me switching back.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I'd like to know how well it holds its edge compared to H-1... I think Lance has probably written about this before, but a comparison with a mule size blade would be interesting. I just lucked onto a good deal on a Never Summer LC200N Native 5, but unfortunately (?) it's in mint condition and I may not be able to bring myself to use it for a while.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I find LC200N has better edge retention than H-1. Use it!
z2.jpg
It's a great knife.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Good advice no doubt.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

I received my new MT25P LC200N last night. The factory edge was shaving sharp, good but not great. I reprofiled this morning - 15deg on my edge pro (seemed to match factory bevel pretty close), then 18deg microbevel.

Steel was very easy to sharpen and the edge is stupifyingly sharp! It reminds me of VG10 in it's ease of sharpening and the smooth feel of the edge while cutting. Can't really comment on it's edge holding abilities yet, but I like what I'm seeing so far.

I believe this going to be a great EDC steel for Spyderco knives and I look forward to seeing it become available on more models.

David
vivi

Post by vivi »

might have to order one of these....
:unicorn
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

I have broken down several large cardboard boxes, shredding them into little 1-2" strips. Cut a couple of dozen large zip ties and trimmed a dozen or so small magnolia tree limbs (up to about 1" in diameter). Edge sharpness seems to be virtually unaffected. Slow cuts through paper I can feel a few spots where the edge is not cutting the same - but it still cuts and shaves hair.

I'm fairly impressed with this steel and surprised there isn't more discussion about it. The edge retention properties of my LC200N Mule are fairly impressive. In conjunction with the corrosion resistance it's a very impressive steel.

David