Combo edges

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bodog

Combo edges

Post by Bodog »

Am I the only one who dislikes combo edges as they normally come but would consider a reversed combo edge pretty enticing? Instead of the serrations at the heel put them only in the roundest part of the belly towards the tip. Leave the tip and heel plain edge.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Donut

Re: Combo edges

Post by Donut »

I've used some steak knives like this and they work pretty good.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I, as well a a few others, have been curious about a recurve blade with the recurve plain edge and the belly towards the tip serrated. On a larger knife like the Ulize it could work pretty well. I would still like to see about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of plain edge at the tip though. I am not a fan of serrations that go all the way to the tip. I lose functionality that way.

Other than this I have so far never been a fan of combo edges.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

Bodog wrote:Am I the only one who dislikes combo edges as they normally come but would consider a reversed combo edge pretty enticing? Instead of the serrations at the heel put them only in the roundest part of the belly towards the tip. Leave the tip and heel plain edge.
i don't know if this has been tried before so to me it seems like a pretty radical idea. like bearfacedkiller, i also think it may work but only on knives with longer blades as so to give the sections with the pe room to be practical for use. bodog, don't they call your suggestion "breaking the paradigm?" ;)
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Seems like it'd be the best of both worlds. Using my knives in a way that really kind of dings and rolls the edge always happens at the belly where the edge meets a plate or something. Serrations protect that part. When whittling or just needing a smooth cut I need plain edges at the tip and the heel only, for the vast majority of the time anyway. If I need to cut a seatbelt or rope or something and the heel isn't quite sharp enough the material would naturally just slide onto the serrations anyway. Don't know, seems like a good idea to me and would protect the edge where it needs it most while still giving good functionality in the other places. That's really the reason I don't like combo edges as they come. The serrations are in a terrible spot if you want smooth cutting and whittling while not really offering any protection where it needs it most. Definitely doesn't put sawteeth in the place where ripping cuts are normally cut.

A recurve seems like a perfect platform. If the edge isn't quite sharp or toothy enough then the material will just bunch up at the recurve where it'll get ripped apart by the teeth and still allow clean cuts
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

This is an interesting timing for this thread>> because I launched a thread similar to this one some time back entitled "Combo Edges? Love Them? or Hate Them?" And we got a very mixed bag of opinions on combo edged knives. Now obviously someone likes them because Spyderco sells a huge number of them every year. I've even heard that some of the older C-36 Military models either in combo edge or full Spyderedge have become collector pieces.

Frankly I tend to like combo edges on some of your longer, full sized Spyders like the Police, Endura and other Spyders with a blade longer than 3.5 inches. Because to me they just don't do as well with shorter bladed models in my humble opinion.

But combo edges do have their place and just because some people don't like them doesn't mean that they are not useful and advantageous to some people. I EDCed a combo edged Spyderco RENEGADE model for over a year and it was a great hard working knife. If it would have had better blade steel than GIN-1 I would probably still have it.
SC_PATRIOT

Post by SC_PATRIOT »

I've used FRN Natives for years as fully serrated at WORK only. Now i just moved to the foliage Delica combo edge--basically to cut pallet strapping.
Works great in my work environment only. Also enjoy the lighter weight + the delica was actually my first Spyderco from many years ago. :D
Many don't like the serrations but there is a need as indicated by Spyderco for them. Im waiting on the fully serrrated PM2 myself.
SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow »

I use my Native 5 combo Edge for work too. It's good for opening packaging
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Would be quite interested in some try outs with new takes on combo edges, always liked the idea.
Finally got a SE Military last week and really like the PE tip on blades like that (almost 1"). I could see it work with some PE lower on the blade as well. The PE recurve idea is nice as well.
I would also like a Salt1/Pacific Salt or Delica/Endura SE with close to an inch of PE at the tip.
(but I can see that is probably something I should get made.. ;) )
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

The only pocket knives I have that come like this are Victorinox 111mm One-hand knives. I find it pretty handy. One main reason I prefer serrations toward the tip is because oftentimes serrations are most helpful in a tight squeeze where only the tip will fit where you're cutting. Also, I often find that the kind of detailed cutting I use the plain edge of my knives for would be easier done with the base of the edge rather than the tip. I agree wholeheartedly that I'd love to see a knife with the combo edge reversed like that.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Bodog, you are not the only one. I too have thought a reverse CE might be useful.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

I like full serrations, although I do have a combo baby Goddard. Granted my usual perspective with knives are with emergency situations. If serrations are at all an asset in any emergency situation, then one could very well need an aggressive cutting tip to get a cut started.

Still bummed out on letting a NOS combo gen1 Delica go on eBay recently.

Probably old news but anyone notice Bento Box has a full serrated PM2 coming up?
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

SE PM2 is coming up as a regular Spyderco production model!
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I prefer carrying a Spyderco PE and SE (such as Spyderco Delica 4 or Caly 3) so as to have the dedicated benefits of both edge styles. That said, I do like how Spyderco has made its CEs over the years, especially on their longer knife blade models, such as the Spyderco Military, Spyderco C95 Manix, and Spyderco C07 Police.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!