CTS XHP vs. CPM S110V

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
T_MAC686

CTS XHP vs. CPM S110V

Post by T_MAC686 »

Wondering what the pros and cons are between these two steels? Specifically on the Manix 2 LW platform. Who has had experience with both of these steels (on this knife) and which would you recommend and why?
TomAiello

Re: CTS XHP vs. CPM S110V

Post by TomAiello »

XHP is easier to sharpen. S110V holds it's sharpness longer.

Both are good. At the current price points I would go with S110V if I could only have one.

I have both. The S110V is currently my top choice of all my folding knives.
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

Is S110V able to be maintained with just the spyderco sharpmaker and a strop?
awa54

Post by awa54 »

T_MAC686 wrote:Is S110V able to be maintained with just the spyderco sharpmaker and a strop?
Touch-ups are fine with the medium ceramics, any stock removal will require the CBN or diamond rods. Skip the strop, S110V likes a coarser edge.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
DrawBackwards

Post by DrawBackwards »

awa54 wrote:
T_MAC686 wrote:Is S110V able to be maintained with just the spyderco sharpmaker and a strop?
Touch-ups are fine with the medium ceramics, any stock removal will require the CBN or diamond rods. Skip the strop, S110V likes a coarser edge.
This ^

My s110v experience is pretty much the same. I went all the way to the white stones once. Once. It was odd -- it almost seemed duller, maybe less "bitey" when I went for a polished edge. (Didn't know any better yet) But a touch up with the brown rods and it really bites well. I would leave it coarse.

I also enjoy my XHP. They have a different feel -- but I have them in two different knives so I can't separate geometry from the steel. Except that I would prefer the s110v for a big pile of cardboard, because it refuses to dull. That difference is easy to notice...