Large Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tac-72

Large Spyderco

Post by Tac-72 »

I want to add a larger Spydie to the collection. This would be for Edc. Would be between the Manix 2 XL and the Paramilitary 2. Just would like your opinion on which one to get.
Jazz

Re: Large Spyderco

Post by Jazz »

Just so you know, the Manix XL is really big. Handful and pocket full. Not sure how big you're wanting.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah the Manix XL is a good bit larger than the Para 2 in pretty much every single way. Of the two I would go for the XL if you want something big. Size is pretty subjective too, I wouldn't call the Para 2 a large knife, but it's way on the very end of what I would consider a medium sized knife. To others though (especially non knife people) they'll see it as a machete.

Not my pics but you get the idea.

Personally I'd take a Military over either one. For EDC I'd probably choose the standard Manix 2 over an XL too, which is more in line with the size of the Para 2.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

On the size front the XL is a good deal larger in the hand, pocket and weight than the PM2.

If you are mainly considering the XL then I'd also consider the Military- Both are classic large knives with lots of character. The Military actually feels a good bit lighter and slimmer to me, so maybe what you are after.

If you are mainly considering the PM2 as your primary focus then the comparable sized Manix 2 (the non-XL!) version is about the same size. I prefer the ergonomics and handling of the M2 over the PM2 every day of the week- though your mileage may vary.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
RLDubbya

Post by RLDubbya »

I tend to EDC larger Spydies, including the Manix XL. I have 15 Spydies, I would say all but 3-4 qualify as large, and I do not own a PM 2. I was gifted a PM 3; I like it, it's obviously a solid knife. However, really the only reason I carry it is because of the emotional content since it was a gift.

The Manix XL carries just fine even though it's a bigger knife. You can get it dialed in easily for one handed operation. It is extremely well-balanced. Currently, Allen Putnam (bladescales.com) offers some quite well done scales; by the time you use the coupon code "15% Off" you end up with excellent aftermarket scales for 51.00 delivered. Can't go wrong, nice customization for your knife.

The XL is nice and light if weight matters to you. Pretty close to the same weight as the Manix 2, due to the use of skeletonized liners and reportedly a thinner blade.

I've no gripes with the C30SV steel used in the blade, either. Some people seem to think that this steel is inferior because of what they read on a spec sheet. What they don't realize is that there is step in making the blade which makes or breaks the steel, and Spyderco has this down: it's the heat treatment. Spyderco has a large facility for testing their steels and their heat treatment. Heat treatment makes more of a difference in a blade than the stock steel itself.

Blade geometry, too, plays more of a role than the steel in determining the performance of a blade. If you want a good cutter, the XL is it. It can cut all day long with the best of them.

The thing I really like about the XL over the PM or over the "standard" Manix: there's enough room for my hand. The grip size is much better, in my opinion. I think this is one of things that you can only tell by having the knives in question in your paws. There's no way a magazine article can tell you how the grip of a knife will work for you.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would get either the Military or Paramilitary2.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

I don't consider the PM2 a big knife. I suppose it could be if you carry a Delica regularly, but after carrying a Military for a while then picking up a PM2, it doesn't feel very big.

The Manix platform isn't one of my personal favorites because of how wide it is when closed. It just seems bulky to me, whereas both the PM2 and Military feel svelte.

I'm with Evil D, for a large folder I'd go Military.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Manix XL vote here. I've owned a lot of large Spydercos....Military, Police, Szabo folder, original Manix.....Manix XL is my favorite. Amazing ergonomics, only 5oz for how big it is, 3mm FFG for good cutting and a very secure lock.

The Paramilitary isn't a knife I'd consider to be large. Its a great design but its the smallest knife in my EDC rotation. I typically carry my Police, Manix XL or Military.

Not really sure why how wide the Manix is closed would be an issue. If I have my knife clipped to my pocket I don't keep anything else in there, so how wide it is doesn't matter for me. If I want to use that pocket for my phone or something else instead I clip my knife IWB or to my back pocket.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Tatanka
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Tatanka
Go big or go home, right? :D
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
tap78

Post by tap78 »

think big... ;)

My spyder:'s: Military Camo, Paramilitary 2 CTS-XHP Orange, Paramilitary 2 CTS-204P Green, Endura 4 ZDP-189 ComboEdge BRG, Endura 4 ZDP-189 FFG BRG, Manix 2 Lightweight Blue, Caly 3 G-10, Salt 1 Yellow SE C88SYL, Ulize, Manix I C95, Manix 2 XL S90v CF, Delica 4 CE Black C11PCBBK, Manix 2 154CM, Military All Black C36GPBK, Stretch SE C90SBK Black FRN, Caly3 CF ZDP-189/420J2, Sage 3 BoltLock CF, Gayle Bradley C134CFP, Squarehead C193TIP, Pacific Salt Yellow SE C91SYL, Pacific Salt Black C91PBK, Ladybug 3 Salt LYL3, Stretch CF ZDP-189 C90CF, Lum Large Chinese Folder C143G, Perrin Street Bowie FB04PBB, Mantra Titanium C202TI, Farid K-2 Titanium C185TI, Para 3 C223GPGYCW Para 3 Cruwear
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

i just picked up a manix 2 xl g-10 recently, a lot of knife for the money for sure. this is the biggest knife i've ever edc'd and so glad i bought it. i agonized between this and the smaller manix, wondering if i need a edc this large. i use it a lot daily but also carry a delica when i don't need the over kill. the only complaint i have is, and it's relatively minor, is it sits up high out of my pocket. i just ordered a deep pocket carry clip for it, that should solve that issue.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

In the words of Mick: 'Now that's what I call a knife.' :D I would also get the Millie.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

If people are going to recommend the Millie instead of the PM2, don't forget another big knife--one that Sal says he's always wanted--is due out shortly, namely, the Police4.

The Manix XL is a great knife, for sure, but it will claim way more of your pocket than the smaller PM2, and even more than the Millie or Police.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I'd look into a Military. Are you close to anywhere that you could handle one?
Josh
91bravo

Post by 91bravo »

The Manix XL and Millie are two of their larger folders. Both are great!

vivi

Post by vivi »

Quick comparison of some larger Spydercos

Szabo Folder: Biggest, heaviest and thickest handle. Unique compression lock with a self close mechanism. Excellent ergonomics, surprisingly comfortable for utility cutting. Very pointy tip which I love. Stiff opening, which I like but most don't. Poor cutting performance out of the box...thick edge, 4mm stock and low saber grind. Beautiful carbon fiber scales. Not the most socially acceptable item in my cutlery collection. 4 way clip.

Police 3: Legendary. 3mm FFG blade cuts very well. Backlock is smooth and keeps the knife securely opened or closed. Ergos are pretty good, not quite up to the Millie or Manix but they're solid. 4 way clip is nice. Blade shape is the best there is for EDC IMO, pointy tip and just enough belly to get by. Stand-out feature is how thin it is for its size, it carries remarkably well. Pretty trim 5oz, not bad for full length steel liners at this size. It is simply incredible how well the Police carries compared to the Szabo, Manix and Military even. No other large Spydercos disappears in the pocket like it does.

Military: Incredibly light for its size, current run G10 versions are 4.5oz and CF runs are lighter. Ti is heavier but they feel very nice. The Military is one of the most ergonomic folders there is, and unlike most knives it feels more comfortable the more pressure you apply to the handle. I really like the straight spine and how pointy the tip is...I really dislike blunted tips like the Pacific Salts. Liner lock isn't my first choice but the Military's is perfectly executed. Easiest to operate with gloves on out of all of these knives, something to bear in mind. RH tip down only unfortunately, but it suits the model well (Lefty version available). Widest selection of blade steels out of all of these models by a long shot. The negative blade angle makes it cut more aggressively than the other straighter designs pictured. Cutting performance is very good for a 4mm thick blade.

Manix XL: Surprisingly light at 5oz for how beefy and rugged it feels in the hand. An extremely capable folding knife...very robust without being unnecessarily thick & bulky. Sporting a FFG 3mm blade with a broader grind than the Police, this is the stand out among the knives as far as cutting performance goes. Also, YMMV, but for me I can apply leverage with the Manix handle better than the others. Something about it locks it into my hand, its very secure and comfortable during use. I could do without the handle jimping, but I can live with it. Really enjoy the CBBL, its one of my favorites.

Pacific Salt: Stand-out feature is obviously that its completely rust proof. Next is H1 in serrated edge has the best edge retention of any Spyderco blade steel offering, so it'll keep cuttin. Then we have to note its a mere 3oz while still being as long as a Manix XL. Excellent ergonomics, a well executed backlock, and an enlarged opening hole easily used with gloves hands round out the package. Easy to underestimate and overlook, the Pacific Salt has seen as much pocket time as any of the other folders on this list, despite being three times as cheap as some of them. Only notable drawbacks are the blunted tip design (Easily fixed on a belt sander) and the low hollow grind. In SE the edge is so thin it still cuts very well...I believe they come 15 degrees inclusive. This is the smallest "large" Spyderco, bordering on what I'd consider medium.

Manix: Included purely for scale.

I typically carry a Pacific Salt SE paired with a Police or Manix XL PE. Then when I head into work or do something like go for a run, I just take the Pacific Salt.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

demoncase wrote:
Go big or go home, right? :D
Tdog wrote:
In the words of Mick: 'Now that's what I call a knife.' :D I would also get the Millie.
Yes. :D
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I wouldn't classify the PM2 as a large Spydie.
I'd say the Military is a better alternative seeing how it has the PM2 look and feel in a bigger package.
If I had to choose however, I'd go for the Manix 2 XL.
Love mine! :D
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Tac-72

Post by Tac-72 »

Thank you all for the opinions and replies, it is very appreciated. I think I will hold out to see this upcoming Police 4 and see what that is like.