Super Blue

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ryno

Super Blue

Post by Ryno »

I know this has been said before, but this steel is remarkable. I hope another run of this comes out in something, so that I might buy one or many NIB.

I have to thank IAmTravvy for selling this knife to me.
9112.jpg
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
Revival

Re: Super Blue

Post by Revival »

Agreed. Would love a Caly 3.5.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Would love to see some more runs of SB, like it so much just picked up another SB Stretch, a user, already have at least one of every model release, actually two :D
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
qazy

Post by qazy »

Agree, I love my Aogami Super knives. Together with Aogami #2 its my favorite carbon steel atm.
soundshaman

Post by soundshaman »

I'm disappointed in my self for not getting one... So if there is another Caly or delica run I would truly appreciate it. I'll take any color. How about a tiedye zome run on a white FRN base :)
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

More please! Love my DFly.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I really like the way Superblue takes and holds a very sharp edge.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I've yet to try Super Blue. How does it compare to HAP40 in the real world? I've looked up how their compositions compare but I'm curious how they compare in actual use, when sharpening, etc.
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Sharp Guy wrote:I've yet to try Super Blue. How does it compare to HAP40 in the real world? I've looked up how their compositions compare in use, when sharpening, etc.
As far as elemental composition they are *very* different, With SB being a comparatively low alloy tool steel and HAP40 being a high alloy tool steel designed for retention of hardness at high working temperatures.

First, HAP40 is somewhat stain resistant, SB is *not*, both sharpen to a truly top notch fine edge with ease, though the SB can be done with entirely natural stones (or synthetic water stones) and in my experience HAP40 benefits from ceramic or ultra-fine diamond in the final step. HAP40 keeps its edge indefinitely in storage, where SB can lose its final degree of acuity if left for a while without protecting the blade with oil or silicone. HAP40 seems to hold a working edge longer, though the most acute polished edge doesn't seem to last longer than SB in my use, but both are easy enough to touch up that it's not really a big deal.

Subjectively when sharpening, my Spyderco Super Blue knives feel slightly softer (Rc hardness) than my Blue #2 kitchen knives and HAP40 feels slightly softer still than SB, but that is a *totally* un-substantiated claim ;)
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

^ Excellent info David! Thanks!

Note that I got a bit sidetracked when I made the previous post that you quoted. I've edited for clarity.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

awa54 wrote: Subjectively when sharpening, my Spyderco Super Blue knives feel slightly softer (Rc hardness) than my Blue #2 kitchen knives and HAP40 feels slightly softer still than SB, but that is a *totally* un-substantiated claim ;)
I too have noticed that Hap40 feels softer, when using and sharpening. I've also seen Hap40 lose it's edge and have edge damage doing things that don't seem to phase SB.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I would love to try Super Blue also if it was brought back. Please Sal!!??
Josh
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

awa54 wrote:
As far as elemental composition they are *very* different, With SB being a comparatively low alloy tool steel and HAP40 being a high alloy tool steel designed for retention of hardness at high working temperatures.

First, HAP40 is somewhat stain resistant, SB is *not*, both sharpen to a truly top notch fine edge with ease, though the SB can be done with entirely natural stones (or synthetic water stones) and in my experience HAP40 benefits from ceramic or ultra-fine diamond in the final step. HAP40 keeps its edge indefinitely in storage, where SB can lose its final degree of acuity if left for a while without protecting the blade with oil or silicone. HAP40 seems to hold a working edge longer, though the most acute polished edge doesn't seem to last longer than SB in my use, but both are easy enough to touch up that it's not really a big deal.
Great comparison, matches my experience with both steels. I love how sharp they both get.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
krikun98

Post by krikun98 »

Were the D'Allara 3 released in SB... Well, it would be awesome.
Sirens1

Post by Sirens1 »

Yes, yes, more Superblue please! I only have a Stretch and a Man Bug....I need more!
91bravo

Post by 91bravo »

I love me some Super Blue. It just gets so sharp so easy!

Ryno

Post by Ryno »

I'm not sure of another blade steel that is so universally liked
Ryan

91bravo

Post by 91bravo »

Ryno wrote:I'm not sure of another blade steel that is so universally liked
Most everyone that have tried HAP40 love it too!
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

91bravo wrote:
I've tried to get behind Hap40, but I haven't been able to like it as much as Super Blue

I don't intend to say anything bad about Hap40, but I have 2 Delicas; 1 in Hap40 and 1 in SB. I grab the SB almost every time because it seems like every time I use the Hap40 for anything I feel like it's lost it's bite and I need to touch it up on the SM. The SB hasn't needed a sharpening in a long time.
Ryan

91bravo

Post by 91bravo »

Ryno wrote:
91bravo wrote:
I've tried to get behind Hap40, but I haven't been able to like it as much as Super Blue

I don't intend to say anything bad about Hap40, but I have 2 Delicas; 1 in Hap40 and 1 in SB. I grab the SB almost every time because it seems like every time I use the Hap40 for anything I feel like it's lost it's bite and I need to touch it up on the SM. The SB hasn't needed a sharpening in a long time.
I have had the exact opposite experience! lol Super blue is so easy to sharpen, a caveman could do it. I find fewer sharpenings in between uses with the HAP40 over the SB. I do love them both though!