Wise Man signet ring

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
holeshot

Wise Man signet ring

Post by holeshot »

Has anyone bought a Delica or Endura with one of these rings or installed one? If so how do you like it? Thanks :)
Well mine came today and I installed it. So far I like the quality of the ring and it does make deployment of the knife easier. :)
image.jpeg
Last edited by holeshot on Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
bolabeenz

Re: Wise Man signet ring

Post by bolabeenz »

Yeah, I have one on my Matriarch. The one with the Emerson opener. I still can't make up my mind if I like the Emerson mod. and was wondering if the "ring" would add anything to deploying the blade. It does feel safer grabbing the ring and pulling it out; but I end up with the knife open holding it between my thumb and index finger by the ring.
When gripping the knife though, the ring gives a very secure grip if you are holding it by the handles end.
Also, the ring would give you the ability to use the butt as a bludgeon.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Kinda looked at the idea that it would make a LilMatriarch a poor man's Karambit.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd like it more if it were rotated inward so your pinky is in the ring where it would be in a normal grip, but then you'd need a shorter blade or the ring would need to be hollow so the blade can pass through it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
funghiman

Post by funghiman »

Evil D wrote:I'd like it more if it were rotated inward so your pinky is in the ring where it would be in a normal grip, but then you'd need a shorter blade or the ring would need to be hollow so the blade can pass through it.
Like this?
:spyder: Para2 XHP  :spyder: Para2 S110V  :spyder: Para2 S35VN  :spyder: Para2 CF S90V
:spyder: Manix2 LW S110V  :spyder: Manix2 Exclusive  :spyder: Dodo Sprint
:spyder: UK Penknife Safety Orange  :spyder:UK Penknife Rescue Orange
:spyder: Perrin PPT  :spyder: Perrin PPT Sprint  :spyder: Positron  :spyder: Positron S35VN
:spyder: Slysz Bowie  :spyder: Ferid K2  :spyder: Sage5  :spyder: Sprig
:spyder: Junior  :spyder: R Nishijin  :spyder: Rock Lobster  :spyder: Urban Wharncliffe
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

funghiman wrote:
Evil D wrote:I'd like it more if it were rotated inward so your pinky is in the ring where it would be in a normal grip, but then you'd need a shorter blade or the ring would need to be hollow so the blade can pass through it.
Like this?
Basically, maybe a bit further around. I'm sure it varies per hand size.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

One of the things that people sometimes forget about karambits with rings (not all traditional karambits had them) is that the ring typically must be used as part of the grip. In simple terms, it's one-fourth of the total handle length. For folding karambits, that means the blade must be significantly shorter than the handle so the blade doesn't pass through the ring when opening the knife.

When you add a ring to the handle of a knife that already offers a four-finger grip and a full length blade, you move your hand placement one finger farther away from the blade. Unless you have huge hands that naturally compensate for that shift, it puts your hand too far away from the blade and compromises the natural fit of the handle in the hand.

Placing the ring closer to the slot side of the handle mitigates this, but also starts to put it in the path of the blade's opening arc. To make that work, you'd need to shorten the blade.

Stay safe,

Mike
carl3989

Post by carl3989 »

Can that be done without incurring violations of the Syderco warranty? Is it even allowed?
araneae

Post by araneae »

carl3989 wrote:Can that be done without incurring violations of the Syderco warranty? Is it even allowed?
Well I'd guess you have to disassemble so that voids the warranty.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Michael Janich wrote: To make that work, you'd need to shorten the blade.
Or offset the ring? Say to the palm side of the scale? Just a thought.
(Generic thought, not for this specific ring)

Ken
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

You might be better off with a short lanyard.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
zeus

Post by zeus »

:spyder: The Wisemen Company doesn't make a Signet ring for the Manix yet, so I cobbled one up for my Manix 2 XL. Wanted to go with brass, but thought I'd experiment with aluminum first. (I screwed up one radius on the left side)

This model is my EDC but I haven't done any mods since 2013.

In the last picture from 2013, I had reground the blade spine, installed a Silicone Nitride ball, tapered and polished the tip of the spring perch on the polymer cage, and used three lighter compression springs wound together as one, to replace the heavy stock spring.

Cheers,

Zeus
Last edited by zeus on Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Would love to see a lightweight and affordable Spyderco FRN Karambit built on the Endura platform using this concept.
spambait11

Post by spambait11 »

Michael Janich wrote:One of the things that people sometimes forget about karambits with rings (not all traditional karambits had them) is that the ring typically must be used as part of the grip. In simple terms, it's one-fourth of the total handle length. For folding karambits, that means the blade must be significantly shorter than the handle so the blade doesn't pass through the ring when opening the knife.

When you add a ring to the handle of a knife that already offers a four-finger grip and a full length blade, you move your hand placement one finger farther away from the blade. Unless you have huge hands that naturally compensate for that shift, it puts your hand too far away from the blade and compromises the natural fit of the handle in the hand.

Placing the ring closer to the slot side of the handle mitigates this, but also starts to put it in the path of the blade's opening arc. To make that work, you'd need to shorten the blade.

Stay safe,

Mike
Having the Karahawk, I COMPLETLEY understand what Mr. Janich is saying. The Karahawk is the perfect length, and fits the hand well when deployed. Those wise men rings are so far off the handle that when you deploy the knife in reverse grip, pulling the knife out of your pocket with your index finger in the ring, the rest of your fingers are so far off the handle when you grip the handle that you’d be holding the knife awkwardly.

That being said, the Karahawk needs to lose weight, so I like the FRN suggestion. Coming in at less than 3 oz. (with an FRN ring?) would be ideal! Having a Salt or LC200N blade would make it even better! But I know this knife is too specialized for those kinds of upgrades.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

As Mr Janich said, the ring needs to be part of the grip and also out of the blade opening arc. My first thought seeing the OP waved knife was, “Will the tip slice the digit in the ring when the blade is waved open?”
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Evil D wrote:
funghiman wrote:
Like this?
Basically, maybe a bit further around. I'm sure it varies per hand size.
Wouldn't that put whatever finger was in the hole in harm's way when drawing a waved knife from your pocket? Or prevent the knife from being able to open and close? At least unless you chopped an inch off the blade.
carl3989 wrote:Can that be done without incurring violations of the Syderco warranty? Is it even allowed?
I can't speak for Spyderco, but if the ring replaces the backspacer and you sent the knife in with the ring in place, I'm fairly certain they'd consider it an alteration, and those have always voided the warranty.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

zeus wrote:
In the last picture from 2013, I had reground the blade spine, installed a Silicone Nitride ball, tapered and polished the tip of the spring perch on the polymer cage, and used three lighter compression springs wound together as one, to replace the heavy stock spring.

Cheers,

Zeus
I’ve got no use for karambits but I sure do like what you did with that blade! :)
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

zeus wrote::spyder: The Wisemen Company doesn't make a Signet ring for the Manix yet, so I cobbled one up for my Manix 2 XL. Wanted to go with brass, but thought I'd experiment with aluminum first. (I screwed up one radius on the left side)

This model is my EDC but I haven't done any mods since 2013.

In the last picture from 2013, I had reground the blade spine, installed a Silicone Nitride ball, tapered and polished the tip of the spring perch on the polymer cage, and used three lighter compression springs wound together as one, to replace the heavy stock spring
Cheers,

Zeus

those mods are awesome! I like the Wisemen ring a lot, and would've liked to see it available for more models.
I find it visually and mechanically appealing even though I don't have any traning in knife arts and wouldn't know how to use one adequately,
but on my non :spyder: hawkbill folder with it I can have a much better purchase, put my pinky through it and wave the knife open in a quick, smooth motion thanks to the ring

and I tried the bottom spike on some glass this Sunday, it popped like it wasn't there.
I'd sure like to try it on some of my Spydies :spyder:
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

If I get a matriarch, I'll probably grab one of these too, just for ease of pocket retrieval.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
S2Klay

Post by S2Klay »

Sorry to revive this thread but does anyone know where these can still be found? I’ve contacted Wise Men Company but I have received a response yet. It seems they’re sold out everywhere.