Super Steels with serrations?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Archimedes

Super Steels with serrations?

Post by Archimedes »

Why do we always see the sprint run super steels in plain edge? Are there any steels like S110V in serrated edge? If there are some point me in that direction. I was thinking about this the other day. I personally like a good serrated edge. Is it just to hard to manufacture?
SG89

Re: Super Steels with serrations?

Post by SG89 »

There was serrated zdp 189 but disco'd for being chippy. Serrated 52100 PM2 on the distant horizon...
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
krikun98

Post by krikun98 »

High Rockwell steels are prone to chipping, and serrations are dangerous for them. Stuff like 3V, 4V or Cru-Wear could probably handle them.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

H-1 is a super steel when serrated. It's the one to beat right now. I wonder how it compares in serration performance to the MBS-26 used in the kitchen knives?
TheProfessional

Post by TheProfessional »

They should make a super steel with the spyder edge
sal

Post by sal »

I guess it depends on how you define "Super Steels". We've found that some steels don't support serrations very well.

sal
elena86

Post by elena86 »

sal wrote:I guess it depends on how you define "Super Steels". We've found that some steels don't support serrations very well.

sal
What about A11 class steels ? I can only dream on a K390 spyderedged Military :eek:

Marius
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

sal wrote:I guess it depends on how you define "Super Steels". We've found that some steels don't support serrations very well.

sal

sal, is this a problem due to concentrations of stress on the points of the serrations, creating cracks that propagate faster to the rest of the blade, than the plain-edge version, ie, crack propagation issues, and because some types of steel are harder and thus more brittle, those stress points cause the damage?

Also, is it an issue of the machine tooling not being able to handle large volume production of certain steel types with serrations, because the knife steel being machined is too hard?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Spydergirl88 wrote:There was serrated zdp 189 but disco'd for being chippy. Serrated 52100 PM2 on the distant horizon...
And that's the problem with many of those supersteels that "Rockwell" out at 61 or higher. There are a few exceptions but very few and the blade steel 440V comes to mind because it seems to perform well in both edge types.

Deep in my gut I've wondered if XHP would be good in Spyderedge because that steel has a toughness to it similar to 440V in my experience with it. But most of the blade steels that I've seen that stand out in Spyderedge most of the time don't make great plain edged blade steels. One of the few exceptions to that is VG-10 because I have had great luck with that steel in both edge types.

ZDP-189 was truly a failure in Spyderedge and I have a feeling that many of these newer supersteels would also yield the same results unfortunately :(
BrandoSpoke

Post by BrandoSpoke »

H1 is pretty much a super steel when serrated
"If you talk all the time, you will never hear what anybody else has to say, and therefore, all you'll have to talk about is your own conversation."
-Alan Watts
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I've had good experiences with serrated CruWear.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

BrandoSpoke wrote:H1 is pretty much a super steel when serrated
The enigma of H-1 blade steel being so good in Spyderedge but yet being a disappointment in plain edge has had me scratching my head :confused:

It is a real blessing that it is good in Spyderedge because most of the stuff in the Salt Series that I have is in Spyderedge. I have one PE TASMAN left in my Salt Series blade collection and I can't wait to trade it for something more useful.

I'm wondering if LC200N would be just as good in Spyderedge being it is also a nitrogen based steel. And like I said earlier something in my gut tells me that XHP blade steel might be good for a Spyderedged blade. But there is no solid evidence as of yet. H-1 kind of reminds me of one of Spyderco's very first blade steels>> and I'm speaking of GIN-1. Because GIN-1 was really a good blade steel in Spyderedge and just like H-1 it really wasn't that good in PE unfortunately :(

The three blade steels I'm most interested in finding out how they would work in Spyderedge are XHP, LC200N and HAP 40. For some reason I feel like those blade steels have ideal properties for Spyderedges.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I thought I read that ZDP isn't serrated because it was wearing out the equipment too much. I'm glad I have an Endura and Delica in it.

Now that the Endura and Delica are being done in FFG, it would be pretty sweet to have a SE in ZDP done with FFG. Even if it was say, $40 more expensive than plain edge.

I might be alone on that one.

Speaking of the Delica and Endura, it would be nice to see some of these experimental steels, like HAP40 or Super Blue done with serrations.

Since the SE gives us more cutting power, I think doing a single run with only the Delica could be a nice happy medium for everyone.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
kurt6652

Post by kurt6652 »

The s35vn serrated native 5 is a really nice way to try serrations.
jdw

Post by jdw »

JD Spydo wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:There was serrated zdp 189 but disco'd for being chippy. Serrated 52100 PM2 on the distant horizon...
And that's the problem with many of those supersteels that "Rockwell" out at 61 or higher. There are a few exceptions but very few and the blade steel 440V comes to mind because it seems to perform well in both edge types.

Deep in my gut I've wondered if XHP would be good in Spyderedge because that steel has a toughness to it similar to 440V in my experience with it. But most of the blade steels that I've seen that stand out in Spyderedge most of the time don't make great plain edged blade steels. One of the few exceptions to that is VG-10 because I have had great luck with that steel in both edge types.

ZDP-189 was truly a failure in Spyderedge and I have a feeling that many of these newer supersteels would also yield the same results unfortunately :(
I am on board with the XHP. Because it seems more of a tool steel I wonder if it would be prone to chipping less than ZDP or some of the harder steels?
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
SpyderEdgeForever

Well, here is the thing. You and I need a serrated LC200n knife and we also want and need serrated STAINLESS Cruwear steel. Regarding the wearing out of the equipment, come on, these machine tool people need to understand that we knife addicts need these new super steel blades :) I mean, after all, they use diamond and ceramic machine tools these days, after all.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm on the absolute opposite end of this idea. In fact I would probably be happier if Spyderco brought out a SE knife in something like 1095. I would rather stub my toe than try to sharpen serrations on something like S110V. Give me a steel that's really tough so the teeth don't take damage and is super easy to sharpen and get crazy sharp. Having SE at peak sharpness is where the fun is, and the challenge of getting them there is why most people avoid SE.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderEdgeForever

David and others, since you brought it up, regarding sharpening of these super steel alloys, and sharpening of more basic steel, why do you think we don't see more serrated carbon steel knives such as in 1095?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:David and others, since you brought it up, regarding sharpening of these super steel alloys, and sharpening of more basic steel, why do you think we don't see more serrated carbon steel knives such as in 1095?

Well, basically because Spyderco haven't done it yet, because I don't see anyone else with the willingness to market serrated pocket knives in general let alone in a carbon steel. We're combining two niche ideas; carbon non stainless steel and serrations, two things that are already AFI knife qualities so for most companies it doesn't sound like an easy idea to market.

Before Spyderco my knowledge of serrations were on the bread knife in the kitchen and on the occasional combo edge knife. I had never seen a fully serrated pocket knife. The companies besides Spyderco that market them today are mostly rescue type knives, where it makes more sense to use a stainless steel that requires less care and maintenance.

I also think the two ideas are at opposite ends of the modern day pocket knife timeline. Back when 1095 was a much more commonly used steel, before we had all these crazy stainless options, I don't know of anyone who offered serrations (I'd love to hear if anyone does know). I can't remember Gerber or Schrade or Buck ever offering fully serrated knives but I was also much younger back in those days so maybe I just never saw them.

I really don't know how SE would do in 1095 but I'd give it a shot. It touches up so easily and keeps a fine edge pretty well, and it seems to be a pretty tough steel (heat treat and such dependant). It seems like a no brainer to me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Still wondering how Cruwear would do with SE..
Imagine a Cruwear SE Military! :D