Sal - Is the Military 2 still happening?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Sal - Is the Military 2 still happening?

Post by Doc Dan »

What I want: a back lock Military.

Not a similar knife, but the exact knife with a back lock.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
h8speech

Post by h8speech »

Eh, I don't see it as a huge problem. If I drop the knife on the ground, I'm not going to pick it up blind - I'm going to look down first, right? So I can't accidentally cut myself in that situation.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I like liner locks and IMO the one on the Military is the best liner lock in the entire knife industry. I might be in the minority here but I think the Military would be just to weird with a compression lock, and hey I love the compression lock as well!
Josh
FK

Post by FK »

Changing from liner lock will totally revise the initial intended function of the Military,,,,, closing the knife with gloves will be very difficult with a compression lock.

My vote is to continue the excellent 20 year old design as liner lock.

Regards,
FK
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

h8speech wrote:Eh, I don't see it as a huge problem. If I drop the knife on the ground, I'm not going to pick it up blind - I'm going to look down first, right? So I can't accidentally cut myself in that situation.

No you are not apt to cut yourself. You may very well be picking up a knife with a broken tip or some chips in the edge though.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

These threads often seem to stir up fear of the existing Military changing radically in design, like changing the lock. I don't think anyone is asking for that and I also believe there is a zero percent chance of that happening. Sal has even said that if a new (different) Military came out then it would exist alongside the current millie, not replace it.

For me, I am perfectly happy with the Military in its current form. Liner locks aren't my favorite but the liner lock on the Millie is the best executed example of that lock I have ever used and I'm perfectly comfortable with it. Personally, the only thing I would like to see on the Military is a CQI update to add helicoil clip holes for tip up like on the new Manix backlock. Opinions vary on clip position but options are always nice. I carry tip up almost exclusively but if I were designing a new folder i would do my best to equip it with 4 way clip option...because it's not all about me. ;)
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
h8speech wrote:Eh, I don't see it as a huge problem. If I drop the knife on the ground, I'm not going to pick it up blind - I'm going to look down first, right? So I can't accidentally cut myself in that situation.

No you are not apt to cut yourself. You may very well be picking up a knife with a broken tip or some chips in the edge though.
Happened to me a couple of months ago with my 204p millie. As the knife hit the ground the blade came out about half way however it was undamaged. The problem was with blade centering, when I picked it up the blade was almost touching the liner on the lock side. I think the flaw with the new millie design is that you only have that large lanyard tube holding the knife together at the butt whereas with the older millie's you had the back spacer helping to hold the rear of the knife together.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

FK wrote:Changing from liner lock will totally revise the initial intended function of the Military,,,,, closing the knife with gloves will be very difficult with a compression lock.

My vote is to continue the excellent 20 year old design as liner lock.

Regards,
FK
I can close my PM2 with gloves on (and in the snow so fingers were cold). Perhaps the Millie is easier, but you can def close a compression lock 1 handed, gloves, with cold fingers.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Wait till one bounces and opens and lands on your foot!! :eek:
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
h8speech

Post by h8speech »

I don't understand. Are your knives opening *prior* to hitting the ground? If I drop a knife and it opens, it only opens on impact - so it can't damage the edge or the tip on the initial drop, only on the bounce, and the bounce is like an inch or two maximum. I guess a knife could bounce further than that if you chucked it or dropped it from higher?

Are some of you guys doing the zip tie mod?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

For the record, the Para 2 existed side by side with the Paramilitary for some time, until it was obvious that the Para 2 was crushing the Paramilitary in sales, then it got discoed. There is always the chance that this will happen with the Military 2.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

Hopefully it will have a tip-up option. I sold my Miltary because I could not get used to the pocket clip. Seemed unnatural since all my other knives are tip-up.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

English is a word order language. So, if a knife bounces, it has to fall from some height, first, then it opens. It will afterwards have to turn in some direction from the initial impact. Hopefully not onto your foot (though many have had this happen). It may damage the blade when it contacts concrete or tile, in any case.
A liner lock is almost always going to open when dropped, unless it hits on the blade spine first. This is especially true if it lands on or near the pivot end of the knife where the weight is. FWIW, an Axis lock may also open when dropped like this. However, though it can happen with a back lock, it more than likely will stay closed, or snap back closed quickly.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

h8speech wrote:I don't understand. Are your knives opening *prior* to hitting the ground? If I drop a knife and it opens, it only opens on impact - so it can't damage the edge or the tip on the initial drop, only on the bounce, and the bounce is like an inch or two maximum. I guess a knife could bounce further than that if you chucked it or dropped it from higher?

Are some of you guys doing the zip tie mod?
It would probably seem unlikely to me too if it had never happened to me. As it is, I have dropped my 204p paramilitary 2 twice over the last few years (both times on tile floor unfortunately) and both times the blade has partially opened and both times the edge has been damaged. One of those drops broke about a millimeter off the tip and the other knocked a small fingernail sized quarter moon chip out of the edge.
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

Admittedly I have not read this whole thread. Regarding an updated or new Military, the only thing I would change is the clip. The triangular shaped clips look very 90s and dated to me. I think it is time for an update. Other than that I would not change a thing about the military. The clip is the one reason I don't own a Military but want one desperately. I hope there's a revised clipped one day.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
vivi

Post by vivi »

Clip mods can be had for 15-30$ if that's the only thing holding you back. Here's a tip up CF/BG42 Military I EDC'd for a bit, before deciding I didn't like the steel.

Wonder where that one ended up a decade after I sold it.....
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

I would also love a Mili with a backlock although I wouldn't mind that in FRN eventually as well.. ;)

Do also prefer a backlock for general use as well as safety of myself as well as my blades'.
(probably even have some 'chips' in my floor from non-backlocks dropping open onto the floor, luckily never had an opening blade fall onto my foot but have definitely seen too many non-backlocks open when they weren't supposed to)
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm firmly in the backlock camp too. in 2016 there were two times I had a knife open in my pocket. Both were knives that had a detent based lock (Liner and compression).

Retired both after those experiences changed my perspective about locks. Now I exclusively EDC backlocks save for a Manix XL I sometimes carry in addition to my Pac Salts.

A backlock, FRN Military in full SE would be a dream. I love my Pacific Salts but you can't beat the ergonomics of the Military IMO. The blade shape is a classic too.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

I also have a hard time retiring my LW Manix2 but love the backlock Manix2, still missing the FRN weight though.
Occasionally still carrying a Mili or PM2 as well but mostly EDC-ing backlocks nowadays.
(and sometimes a Slipit)
vivi

Post by vivi »

I still kick myself for not jumping on the green backlock C95 Manix.

Hoping they do a run of Manix XL's with the backlock like they did with the mini Manix. I'll probably buy two. On those days I feel like having more of a tank in my pocket (or waistband ;)), the Manix is my favorite.

The Szabo is neat too, with its strong self close, pointy tip and ergonomic handle, but the Manix is a bit more practical to carry and use.