Wharncliffe Delica, is it perfection?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Wharncliffe Delica, is it perfection?

Post by sal »

I've been cutting cardboard, out door plants, did some electrical work today, food prep. For most work applications, I lean towards teeth.

sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

sal wrote:I've been cutting cardboard, out door plants, did some electrical work today, food prep. For most work applications, I lean towards teeth.

sal
Sorry to bug you, but how do you sharpen them? Just Sharpmaker, or any buffing? I have to admit, those are a nice depth for serrations.
- best wishes, Jazz.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

It's pretty much my main go-to Spyderco that I grab now when I need to get something cut easy and fast (and I don't have another knife in ready access). It's a fantastic blade shape, and I've been meaning to start another thread strongly pushing for the Dragonfly version of it, and what would really make my universe - a Native 5 version of it. My only gripe with the Delica version is the large ramp on it.

Think of it Sal... A ramp-less slim and trim Native 5 wharncliffe version that would be sort of an in-between of an Air and the Jazzlica. :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Now I'm wanting to try a serrated Jazzlica! Must.. stay.. strong..
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Does anyone use the serrated version to strip wires? I'd imagine it'd be a **** good tool for that as well..
Josh
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

holeshot wrote:Mine is now. I took a page from Jazz and swapped out the scales from my D4 Zome and it looks great. I'd post a pic but this is the only fourm that keeps telling me the file is to large on any of my pics from my iPad2 or iPhone7. Oh well :)
I have to resize all the pics i post as well. open the pic in a photo editor of your choice and "re-size" to smaller than 580KB and save, then you should be able to upload. Hope that helps.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
BrandoSpoke

Post by BrandoSpoke »

not my favourite but definitely a good one
"If you talk all the time, you will never hear what anybody else has to say, and therefore, all you'll have to talk about is your own conversation."
-Alan Watts
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

image.jpeg
ZrowsN1s wrote:
holeshot wrote:Mine is now. I took a page from Jazz and swapped out the scales from my D4 Zome and it looks great. I'd post a pic but this is the only fourm that keeps telling me the file is to large on any of my pics from my iPad2 or iPhone7. Oh well :)
I have to resize all the pics i post as well. open the pic in a photo editor of your choice and "re-size" to smaller than 580KB and save, then you should be able to upload. Hope that helps.
Yes it did! Got a photo reduction app and now I can and did post a pic of my D4 Zome :)
Last edited by holeshot on Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
sal

Post by sal »

Jazz wrote:
sal wrote:I've been cutting cardboard, out door plants, did some electrical work today, food prep. For most work applications, I lean towards teeth.

sal
Sorry to bug you, but how do you sharpen them? Just Sharpmaker, or any buffing? I have to admit, those are a nice depth for serrations.
I use the Sharpmaker only, 3 strokes serration side, 1 stroke (almost flat) on the back side to remove burr. Have only sharpened it once so far.

sal
Wrathhog

Post by Wrathhog »

In use, possibly. It won't be perfection for me until it's offered in something besides black.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Jazz wrote:
araneae wrote:Yet to grab one, but it's a must have for me. It's a wharnie and it's a Delica, an absolute no brainer.
I've been looking forward to your opinion, bro. :cool: It is your fault, you know, that I was pestering Sal and all.
Ordered it in plain edge. You'll know soon what I think... and I'll tell my wife its your fault I ordered it. SE does seem like a workhorse and it was a tough call.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
sal

Post by sal »

I blamed it on Jazz as well. :p

sal
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

sal
For some reason I thought you never left the factory (except for shows, of course).
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Mine came yesterday. Blade is "perfect" — straight edge. Needle sharp point. Really. I like the black handle as it matches my Dragonfly and GB2. First actual task, slicing pieces off my French bread loaf. Usually I will use a serrated Spyderco kitchen knife for this, but this morning it was the Wharncliffe. Three slices, zip, zip, zip. Three pieces of proto-toast.

Holding it up next to the Dragonfly, the blade thicknesses appear the same.

Zip.

My gray Delica sold today. Life is good.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

araneae wrote: Ordered it in plain edge. You'll know soon what I think... and I'll tell my wife its your fault I ordered it.
:eek:
sal wrote:I blamed it on Jazz as well. :p

sal
:eek:

Don't tell your wives my real name. :p
- best wishes, Jazz.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

"Well, honey, there's this Jazz fellow on the forum. He made me buy it. What's that you say? No, I don't know his real name. He's in the Spyderco enabler protection program."
elena86

Post by elena86 »

sal
I allways wanted to ask but now I dare to do it : what about some teeth on the clasic ffg Delica4, Sal ? Some of us like some belly on our Delicas and a spyderedged ffg Delica4 would be awesome :cool:

Marius
araneae

Post by araneae »

Got mine tonight, immediately took it to the belt sander for a lil swedge action. Might take it down a bit more, what do you think?
I'm looking forward to using it.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

araneae wrote:Got mine tonight, immediately took it to the belt sander for a lil swedge action. Might take it down a bit more, what do you think?
I'm looking forward to using it.
Nice job. I knew you'd do that, Swedgemeister. ;)
- best wishes, Jazz.
spyduser0

Post by spyduser0 »

Took mine down to the lowest setting on the DMT aligner, probably around 15 dps. I tried reprofiling with the diamond rods but for some reason I can never get rid of the burr when I use them. Finished it off with a microbevel and it is much sharper than from the factory. :)