H1 Spyderhawks

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
themeatchopper

Re: H1 Spyderhawks

Post by themeatchopper »

JD Spydo wrote: I wish you a sincere welcome to the Spyderco.com forum.
Thanks JD, I've actually been on the forums for ~16 yrs, just don't post very often!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

themeatchopper wrote:
JD Spydo wrote: I wish you a sincere welcome to the Spyderco.com forum.
Thanks JD, I've actually been on the forums for ~16 yrs, just don't post very often!
With that being said I find it then most interesting that you would chime in on this "SPYDERHAWK" thread ;) It must be very high on your list of Spyders over the years. But that doesn't surprise me because people that have actually used their Spyderhawks on hard cutting jobs almost always agree how awesome that knife is.

This thread has brought a lot of interesting Forum members out including the thread's originator aka "Thombrogan" who himself doesn't post as often as he used to. But with him like many others here on the Spyderhawk thread they definitely see something worth posting about.

Another element to this thread is that there are more people interested in Spyderco's Hawkbills that many would think. Also the Forum members that actually use them are really starting to see the light in the practical uses of the Hawkbill and especially the SPYDERHAWK :cool:
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Add Vivi's recent sharing of Spyder-Edge goodness with the Spyderhawk and expect great things. Or more of the same greatness, but in orange. :cool:

JD,

I still post tons. Hitting the 'Submit' button a lot less.
themeatchopper

Post by themeatchopper »

I do love spyderco's hawkbills! Im on my second stainless harpy, but have always wanted to try something larger. A production model would be fine, but i'm much more interested in sprint runs... they just seem extra special, being limited runs
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

thombrogan wrote:Add Vivi's recent sharing of Spyder-Edge goodness with the Spyderhawk and expect great things. Or more of the same greatness, but in orange. :cool:

JD,

Well "THOM" I'm glad you're aboard the "Starship SPYDERHAWK :cool: " >> and when you take the Spyderhawk with the Spyderedge it becomes a true salt water crocidile of a knife :eek: as you've undoubtedly discovered ;) An orange G-10 handle??/ Hey sounds deliciously good to me :) What the heck I wouldn't even mind an orange FRN handle because I truly do have an affinity for Spyderco's nuclear colored handles and GOD knows I have quite a few of them. The H-1 Salt Series sure wouldn't be what it is without those nuclear colored handles.

It was only apropos and fitting that the Spyderhawk be given a second chance in the H-1 Salt Series where it got considerably more fanfare than it originally did in the old VG-10 format.

As far as what the Brother said about a possible Sprint Run>> well I can understand why he likes Sprint Runs because I truly like them myself>> two of my most favorite EDCs are SPRINT RUNS. But I truly think that the Spyderhawk needs to become a main icon in the main line up. Because when they figure out how to market that knife in the correct sectors and specialty areas of the market it will sell really well>> no doubt about it. Great Thread THOM :)
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

JD Spydo wrote:
thombrogan wrote:Add Vivi's recent sharing of Spyder-Edge goodness with the Spyderhawk and expect great things. Or more of the same greatness, but in orange. :cool:

JD,

Well "THOM" I'm glad you're aboard the "Starship SPYDERHAWK :cool: " >> and when you take the Spyderhawk with the Spyderedge it becomes a true salt water crocidile of a knife :eek: as you've undoubtedly discovered ;) An orange G-10 handle??/ Hey sounds deliciously good to me :) What the heck I wouldn't even mind an orange FRN handle because I truly do have an affinity for Spyderco's nuclear colored handles and GOD knows I have quite a few of them. The H-1 Salt Series sure wouldn't be what it is without those nuclear colored handles.

It was only apropos and fitting that the Spyderhawk be given a second chance in the H-1 Salt Series where it got considerably more fanfare than it originally did in the old VG-10 format.

As far as what the Brother said about a possible Sprint Run>> well I can understand why he likes Sprint Runs because I truly like them myself>> two of my most favorite EDCs are SPRINT RUNS. But I truly think that the Spyderhawk needs to become a main icon in the main line up. Because when they figure out how to market that knife in the correct sectors and specialty areas of the market it will sell really well>> no doubt about it. Great Thread THOM :)
now I obviously have to second that idea of the Sprint Run as my current work Spyderhawk it's been irreversibly painted for camouflage purposes, and I'd like to have one pristine and beauty for those "Special occasions" :D

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Please!!!?? Peacent, Thom and company let's look past the idea of a SPYDERHAWK Sprint run and go for the model being put back into the main line up and being a permanent fixture like the Harpy as well. Because once the gardening and landscaping community find out how great of a tool it is for that sector you won't be able to make enough of them>> I'm absolutely certain of it.

Now don't get me wrong because if all we can lobby for and get is a SPRINT RUN then sure I'll take what I can get. But I truly want to see it go beyond that. Not withstanding the Martial Arts community should be all over that "bad-boy" :cool:

If I was in the fishing industry or in gardening I would have at least 3 of them. Self defense and martial arts should be nothing more than side bar of a target market. Like I've said before "using is believing" when talking about the SPYDERHAWK.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sorry I hit the button twice :o
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Thanks, JD!

We have a PE Spyderhawk Salt at home. Thinned out and polished to a keen edge. The Atlantic Salt SE is one of my favorites when cutting in the dirt is concerned. The Tasman SE is supposed to be in EDC rotation, but the Dodo PE and Reverse S-curved Meerkat SE have seen much more use. So has our Merlin PE for that matter.

Hoping to change that soon, but I feel anxious when carrying anything other than my regular knife that's been my EDC for over four years.

An orange Spyderhawk Salt SE with ThePeacent-style camouflage would probably help.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

thombrogan wrote:Thanks, JD!

We have a PE Spyderhawk Salt at home. Thinned out and polished to a keen edge. The Atlantic Salt SE is one of my favorites when cutting in the dirt is concerned. The Tasman SE is supposed to be in EDC rotation, but the Dodo PE and Reverse S-curved Meerkat SE have seen much more use. So has our Merlin PE for that matter.

Hoping to change that soon, but I feel anxious when carrying anything other than my regular knife that's been my EDC for over four years.

An orange Spyderhawk Salt SE with ThePeacent-style camouflage would probably help.
the camouflage is for carrying (in the pocket) moments only, as the yellow coloured FRN does pair nicely with the yellow plastic on our utility knives, giving the impression of a "tool" and lessening the idea of "weapon" that immediately appears on some people's minds when seeing the Spyderhawk :D

thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

And that is why I wish to profit from the cleverness you shared.

Used the H1 Tasman Salt SE while gardening yesterday. Loved being able to open and close it while wearing gardening gloves.

When the orange FRN Spyderhawk Salts come out, I'm going to need more arms

Edited to snip photos I incorrectly hosted.
Last edited by thombrogan on Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Like I said previously an Orange FRN or preferably orange G-10 or any other "nuclear" colored handles would be more than desired for a new Spyderhawk model. Again I think the "nuclear" colored handles would be great for gardening and landscaping work just in case you were to lose or misplace it.

Also I've noticed that most of my colored Spyderco handles are more "sheeple" friendly. I recently went to a church meeting where I used my blue PE Dodo model to carve some paper and coardboard and none of the people who normally cringe at the sight of a knife even made any comment about Mr. Dodo :rolleyes:

Hopefully if this third run of the Spyderhawk gains any more popularity maybe then they could consider a Spyderhawk, Harpy or even a TASMAN with a G-10 handle. G-10 handles just seem to demand more respect. But no matter what we MUST see the return of the Spyderhawk ( in SE & PE both :cool: )
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

It is entirely possible that they simply didn't realize that your Dodo was a knife. It doesn't look much like what people think of when you say "knife".
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Yeah, it has the profile of a lovebird.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

yablanowitz wrote:It is entirely possible that they simply didn't realize that your Dodo was a knife. It doesn't look much like what people think of when you say "knife".
Oh yes they knew it was a knife because I was cutting up stuff right in front of them. I even had one lady ask me how much a Spyderco Dodo would cost and her eyes lit up like a roman candle :eek: :rolleyes: She was mildly shocked to say the least.

I know what you guys are saying and I do agree with you both in part>> but even when I've worked with my yellow handled, H-1 SE Spyderhawk the people I've worked with knew it was a decent piece of cutlery. They were actually amazed at how easy it cut through items that are normally hard to cut. And the reactions I get when I tell them how much they cost>> well let's put it this way :rolleyes: their reactions are truly amusing and sometimes even downright funny :D
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Yep, that's why I think you'll have a hard time marketing Spyderco hawkbills to the gardening and landscaping set. I spent a few years in the landscaping business, and I never ran into anyone else who would spend more than $15 for a knife.
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Byrd Hawkbill seen $20-$30 on internets. Maybe that'd attempt to get closer as a popular pruner/grafting knife.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

yablanowitz wrote:Yep, that's why I think you'll have a hard time marketing Spyderco hawkbills to the gardening and landscaping set. I spent a few years in the landscaping business, and I never ran into anyone else who would spend more than $15 for a knife.
I agree.
As much as my Spyderco Tasman and Spyderhawk fascinate them or get some comments, they won't buy anything more expensive than this.

same shape, less refinement, less fun! Also bulky, heavy, non-OHO, rusty... :o

thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

That red Tasman gets me every time.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

So what's the eta? Is it ready yet?