H1 Spyderhawks

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VashHash

Re: H1 Spyderhawks

Post by VashHash »

I'll start saving now so i can stock up. Gotta get at least 3 or 5.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

sal wrote:We have the process started, but it usually takes longer than you (or I) like.

sal
it seems to me that these two are getting some brothers soon... :D

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ZrowsN1s wrote:I found that pic in an google search, I believe that one is a Blade Forum 03' knife. I posted that pic as a visual reference because you are right JD, there aren't many blue PE spyderhawks out there, mostly all you see is the yellow SE in Spyderco hawkbills. I am starting to develop quite a collection of Yellow and Orange Handled spyderco's, I was hoping for a different color (and plain edge) :o I'd still buy one in SE Orange because I've been wanting a larger Hawkbill for a while, and I'm sure I will still love it, I was just hoping for a little variety from the many Yellow/Orange handles and SE hawkbills.
You are 100% right on because they did use the blue PE Spyderhawk as a Forum Knife and it was either in 03 or 04 I forget exactly which it was. But even as a Forum knife I do remember that it really flopped on the sales charts even as a Forum Knife. Then after 04 all of the VG-10 Spyderhawks started disappearing off the landscape.

There was a weird variant and I still have one and I'm referring to the "Endura-Hawk". It was a black handled, fully serrated, VG-10 Spyderhawk that had an Endura handle. I don't know exactly how many of those escaped the factory but they don't show up very often anymore either. The resurrected H-1 Spyderhawk sold several times as many units as the 2003, VG-10 Spyderhawk did.

I haven't seen a blue PE Spyderhawk up for sale or trade in about 4 to 5 years or so. Which is why I do believe it's high time for Spyderco to give the Spyderhawk model another chance hopefully in a new blade steel. I truly believe that would make for a lot of sales. Because now you've got a lot of newbies that want that model very much. Also there are a lot of long time Spyderhawk fans that would really love one in a new blade steel.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'm glad the squeaky wheel is finally getting the grease.
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

H1 hawkbills, orange FRN, and grease... I feel like Homer Simpson and like it
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

sal wrote:We have the process started, but it usually takes longer than you (or I) like.

sal
Sweet!!! Looking forwards to a Spyderhawk sprint!
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

sal
Thank you so much, Papa Spyder!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

^^+1
Im exited for a few different upcoming models, but this one was an unexpected and pleasant surprise, thank you sal and co. :spyder: for listening to our constant demands and "dream knife" suggestions and sagely picking the good ones to listen to.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
osprey

Post by osprey »

Excited to hear this will be happening! Now I can get a few and not feel bad about using them hard.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

enjoy the claws!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Gotta keep this on the first page. 2017 will be a great year.
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

What fantastic news. Orange sounds great, and if is possible I would be in for both SE and PE. I have a well loved SE version of this model and would be in for a couple of more. I tend to prefer hawkbills in longer lengths when possible.

sal
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

ThePeacent wrote:
dsvirsky wrote:ANY color and I will buy (at least) one in SE. Last time, I picked one up in PE and, while it's my go to "yard work" knife, SE works so much better for those sorts of tasks.
I wonder how many of us use the Hawkbills as our dedicated gardening folders... ;)
Count me in that crowd. SE Tasmans and SpyderHawks are my go tos for yardwork.

Ken
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

toting the good old Tasman before they change it's handle shape

VashHash

Post by VashHash »

This thread needs more spyderhawk pictures

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kbuzbee wrote:
ThePeacent wrote:
dsvirsky wrote:ANY color and I will buy (at least) one in SE. Last time, I picked one up in PE and, while it's my go to "yard work" knife, SE works so much better for those sorts of tasks.
I wonder how many of us use the Hawkbills as our dedicated gardening folders... ;)
Again I will say that if Spyderco could get one of the more popular lawn & garden and/or landscaping catalogs to sell the Spyderhawk and the TASMAN they will have a hard time keeping them in stock. I'm just talking to too many people on the forums who praise both of these models for yardwork, gardening and landscaping.

There are so many uses for top quality Hawkbill blades and the list is growing.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Cmon JD let us get our fill of H1 spyderhawks before the masses realize what they're missing. I want a few more back ups without having to rush to order them.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:Cmon JD let us get our fill of H1 spyderhawks before the masses realize what they're missing. I want a few more back ups without having to rush to order them.
That is an interesting way of looking at it. Because the use of Hawkbill folders as companion blades is truly like a carefully hidden secret ;) . It always amazes me as to how well most people actually like or even love Spyderco's Hawkbills when they actually try them out and use them on several different cutting jobs. Most people I find that say bad things about Hawkbills or even shun them all together are mostly people that have never even had one in their hand.

But there certainly is a cult following of Spyderco's Hawkbill models and I do believe that the Spyderhawk and Harpy models are the ones that have spurred most of the interest in the past 5 to 8 years.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

kbuzbee wrote:
ThePeacent wrote:

Ken
Me, too.

Just today, the snow melted off the one perennial grass I didn't take down last Fall. My SE Tasman made short work of it. Game on!
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
VashHash

Post by VashHash »