H1 Spyderhawks

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ThePeacent

Re: H1 Spyderhawks

Post by ThePeacent »

VashHash wrote:Image
in black FRN it's definitely evil looking, Decepticon side. Mine are all yellow like Bumblebee, clear sign of Autobot loyalty. :D

VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Mine is actually in disguise. It's yellow that's been rit dyed and the blade was mirror polished but H1 scratches way too easily. I didn't like having a glaring yellow knife in my pocket.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

ThePeacent wrote:
dsvirsky wrote:ANY color and I will buy (at least) one in SE. Last time, I picked one up in PE and, while it's my go to "yard work" knife, SE works so much better for those sorts of tasks.
I wonder how many of us use the Hawkbills as our dedicated gardening folders... ;)
That's why I bought mine. It makes a decent weeding knife for those thorny weeds. Mine is H1 so it dulls quickly in the "mostly sand" soil down here.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:Mine is actually in disguise. It's yellow that's been rit dyed and the blade was mirror polished but H1 scratches way too easily. I didn't like having a glaring yellow knife in my pocket.
Which may indeed make a case for any new Sprint Run Spyderhawks to have LC200N blade steel>> if nothing else just to see how it would stack up against H-1 in hard use scenarios and extremely harsh and corrosive environments>>> because at this time H-1 is king in the "anti-corrosive" sector but I would still like to see how these two nitrogen based blade steels would work in a hawkbill blade.

Truthfully I could care less in a lot of ways what color a handle is on a hard use folder but I guess I have to admit that a nuclear yellow, nuclear orange or even the nuclear green like they used on that one Sprint Run Catcherman are much easier to find if you misplace them. But all in all I guess that's one area where FRN seems to shine>> because they really do well with nuclear colored handles.
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Resharpening serrated H1 blunted by cutting vegetation in rocky soil involves a lot less swearing than other steels with serrations or inwardly curved edges.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

JD Spydo wrote:
VashHash wrote:Mine is actually in disguise. It's yellow that's been rit dyed and the blade was mirror polished but H1 scratches way too easily. I didn't like having a glaring yellow knife in my pocket.
Which may indeed make a case for any new Sprint Run Spyderhawks to have LC200N blade steel>> if nothing else just to see how it would stack up against H-1 in hard use scenarios and extremely harsh and corrosive environments>>> because at this time H-1 is king in the "anti-corrosive" sector but I would still like to see how these two nitrogen based blade steels would work in a hawkbill blade.

Truthfully I could care less in a lot of ways what color a handle is on a hard use folder but I guess I have to admit that a nuclear yellow, nuclear orange or even the nuclear green like they used on that one Sprint Run Catcherman are much easier to find if you misplace them. But all in all I guess that's one area where FRN seems to shine>> because they really do well with nuclear colored handles.
JD i could care less about the color because i can make them all black. I'm looking forward to getting a LC200N mule. I just want the H1 SE spyderhawk because H1 is king of SE edge retention. I just want my H1 fix right now. I wouldn't mind a LC200N run in the future though just because it would mean more spyderhawks. As far as corrosion resistance I'm sure LC200N works as good as H1. I'm more curious about its properties serrated.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

VashHash wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

JD i could care less about the color because i can make them all black. I'm looking forward to getting a LC200N mule. I just want the H1 SE spyderhawk because H1 is king of SE edge retention. I just want my H1 fix right now. I wouldn't mind a LC200N run in the future though just because it would mean more spyderhawks. As far as corrosion resistance I'm sure LC200N works as good as H1. I'm more curious about its properties serrated.
me too! Fact is, I wanted the Jumpmaster 2 to be released in SE LC200N to compare it to my Jumpmaster 1 in SE H1.
We know nothing about SE vs. PE LC200N, who knows if it outperforms serrated H1? :confused:
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Quick and dirty shot at work today.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

and my contribution for today, just because I don't want this thread and this idea to die

VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I wonder if this spyderhawk blade would fit in the new endura handle with that signet ring offered by those mafioso. I have a pinned spyderhawk so i'll wait for the sprint to try anything like that. It would make for a great karambit...or a ridiculous lanyard hole.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

ThePeacent wrote:and my contribution for today, just because I don't want this thread and this idea to die

Cool! I've been wanting to do a similar dye job on 1 or 2 of my yellow Salts but noticed that the rit dyes are harder to find nowadays.
Also don't mind part yellow to be able to find it but not the part that sticks out of my pocket.. ;)
Definitely keep the Spyderhawk plans alive! :D
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Wally world sells the powders and the liquids. I've never tried the liquid though.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

I wonder if there would be many takers in a carbon steel spyderhawk. Maybe something plain like 1095.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Wally World I don't know but since I'm living in Amsterdam, Netherlands we might have different stores. ;)
I've seen the liquid stuff around but since I grew up on loads of the powdery stuff being for sale that's what I was looking for and that is apparantly hardly being used/sold around here anymore.
I'll find something somewhere soon enough, maybe just try the liquid stuff.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Joris Mo wrote:Wally World I don't know but since I'm living in Amsterdam, Netherlands we might have different stores. ;)
I've seen the liquid stuff around but since I grew up on loads of the powdery stuff being for sale that's what I was looking for and that is apparantly hardly being used/sold around here anymore.
I was on my phone when I typed all that. I didn't see you were from Amsterdam. Good luck with getting some. Do any online retailers stock it? I know it's pretty cheap so shipping would probably cost more than the product but it last awhile if you don't scrape the surface of the FRN. I redye every so many years when I see the yellow wearing through.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

VashHash wrote:
Joris Mo wrote:Wally World I don't know but since I'm living in Amsterdam, Netherlands we might have different stores. ;)
I was on my phone when I typed all that. I didn't see you were from Amsterdam. Good luck with getting some. Do any online retailers stock it? I know it's pretty cheap so shipping would probably cost more than the product but it last awhile if you don't scrape the surface of the FRN. I redye every so many years when I see the yellow wearing through.
Thanks! Yes I can get it online but even buying online in NL I would end up paying at least as much for shipping as for the dye itself and there's still a couple of stores around I haven't tried like some specialized fabric/sewing stores on the market nearby so I'm sure I'll be fine.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Ryno wrote:I wonder if there would be many takers in a carbon steel spyderhawk. Maybe something plain like 1095.
You know that is a novel idea "Ryno" but speaking strictly for my own self and my own personal uses of the Spyderhawk I personally would have virtually no use at all for a carbon steel Spyderhawk. I do some really roughhouse work with mine and the H-1 really serves me well>> albeit I am very anxious to see how the Spyderhawk would do with LC200N in SE & PE both.

To me it's getting to where high end stainless blades now have most of the virtues of the carbon steel blades. They have really come a long way with many of the newer stainless blade steels. But I've got to admit that it is an interesting idea to say the least.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Are we there yet?

how bout now.

now?

cmon......

PLEASE!!!

I need back ups for my back ups.

Thanks for bringing this one back too :)
sal

Post by sal »

not there yet.

sal
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I guess we'll have to make another coffee break in the meantime... :o