H1 Spyderhawks

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ryno

Re: H1 Spyderhawks

Post by Ryno »

JD Spydo wrote:
Ryno wrote:I wonder if there would be many takers in a carbon steel spyderhawk. Maybe something plain like 1095.
You know that is a novel idea "Ryno" but speaking strictly for my own self and my own personal uses of the Spyderhawk I personally would have virtually no use at all for a carbon steel Spyderhawk. I do some really roughhouse work with mine and the H-1 really serves me well>> albeit I am very anxious to see how the Spyderhawk would do with LC200N in SE & PE both.

To me it's getting to where high end stainless blades now have most of the virtues of the carbon steel blades. They have really come a long way with many of the newer stainless blade steels. But I've got to admit that it is an interesting idea to say the least.
What you're saying makes sense from a rational perspective, but c'mon...
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Just remember H1 is the NUMBER 1 edge holder in serrated edges. So i say keep it H1. I'd like to play with other steels but my spyderhawk is my all time beater. H1 can handle a lot of abuse and rolls or bends instead of chipping. I don't hand it out like I used to because it's not easily replaced but when this sprint comes out I'll probably use it as my loaner knife too. I don't have much "scientific" data to back up anything just real world experience using H1 in a "don't really care" manner.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Ryno wrote:I wonder if there would be many takers in a carbon steel spyderhawk. Maybe something plain like 1095.
I would prefer a high speed tool steel in plain edge.
*actually ZDP-189
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
bh49

Post by bh49 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
*actually ZDP-189
If I remember correctly Spyderco stopped producing SE ZDP189 blades due to chipping.
My vote certainly goes to H1 unless if there is VG10 option.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

bh49 wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:
*actually ZDP-189
If I remember correctly Spyderco stopped producing SE ZDP189 blades due to chipping.
Yep that's my understanding as well. Although I would prefer a plain edge regardless of the steel. SE just isn't my thing. It would be kind of cool for spyderco to be the first company to make a plain edge ZDP hawkbill.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
bh49 wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:
*actually ZDP-189
Yep that's my understanding as well. Although I would prefer a plain edge regardless of the steel. SE just isn't my thing. It would be kind of cool for spyderco to be the first company to make a plain edge ZDP hawkbill.
I hate to have this many quotes in a post, but I'm doin' it anyways!

I think something like 1095 would be neat because it gets really sharp and doesn't take alot of work to get it there. The edge holding is better than H1 I think.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

I hope everyone gets the steel of their dreams in vehicle of a Spyderco hawkbill. For me, that's H1 in PE and SE nestled in orange FRN.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Agreed. H1 would be my preference too (unless LC200N is an option?? ;))
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I actually agree the Spyderhawk sprint is probably not the best place to debut a PE ZDP hawkbill, but I hope they make one in the future (Drangonfly sized would be awesome!)

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
*actually ZDP-189
The big problem with ZDP-189 is it's vulerability to corrosion. It's certainly not able to withstand most food acids and it's somewhat brittle for most uses that the Spyderhawk excels in.

Actually I've wondered how the Spyderhawk would perform with CTS-XHP. But at this time I still would like to see how LC200N would perform in a Hawkbill in SE & PE both more than any other blade steel at this time.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

LC200N would be very acceptable to me. I think we will see it on a lot more knives as more people start to know and love the steel.

ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

As a knife produced in Japan seems like the most likely steels would be H1 or vg-10. I would be fine with either. However the LC200n idea seems interesting.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ZrowsN1s wrote:LC200N would be very acceptable to me. I think we will see it on a lot more knives as more people start to know and love the steel.
Yeah it's really the logical choice because it's high time that we get to see what LC200N could do not only in a Hawkbill but to see how it would work with a serrated edge. But I would also like to see how XHP would be too.

It's just way past time for at least a Sprint Run of the Spyderhawk in PE & SE both
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Definitely down for an orange Spyderhawk Salt Sprint!!!!!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

With some black rit dye and a little effort it could be the perfect Halloween folder. Muhahahahahaha.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:With some black rit dye and a little effort it could be the perfect Halloween folder. Muhahahahahaha.
A neon, nuclear Spyderhawk is a great idea>> because the nuclear colored Spyders are a lot easier to find if you misplace them. As far as Halloween goes that's a few months away. But who else other than Spyderco could do the ideal Halloween folder?

With all the time that has passed since the H-1 Spyderhawk was discontinued I don't think there is any doubt that a Sprint Run wouldn't even last a month on the shelves.

If a guy wanted to do his own dying or any other type of custom enhancements then maybe they ought to make a few of them in just plain white.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

JD the color doesn't even matter to me. Black rit will fix that if i feel the need. I just hope they last long enough for me to add a few to my reserve.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:JD the color doesn't even matter to me. Black rit will fix that if i feel the need. I just hope they last long enough for me to add a few to my reserve.
My point really wasn't so much about radical appearance as much as it is for making it easy to locate if misplaced. That's the biggest reason I like Spyderco's nuclear colored models. Not to mention that if "GOD Forbid" you would drop it overboard while on a boat>> because in reasonably shallow water a nuclear colored Spyder would be much easier to locate.

But radical appearance i.e. nuclear color would be proper for a model such as the Spyderhawk. I was also kind of thinking along the lines of different colors for different blade steels too.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

If I'm around water i usually tether the knife to myself with about 2-3 foot of paracord. I just want more H1 spyderhawks. I'm tired of people price gouging them.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:If I'm around water i usually tether the knife to myself with about 2-3 foot of paracord. I just want more H1 spyderhawks. I'm tired of people price gouging them.
Yeah it's way past time for them to consider not only another Sprint Run but to actually consider putting this great Spyderco model back into the main line up. The potential market is probably at it's all time high and it would be a slam dunk for Spyderco. And like I've said before if they would market the Spyderhawk and TASMAN both in these landscaping and Lawn & Garden magazines they would truly have trouble keeping them on the shelves.

The Spyderhawk has probably gained more popularity than I would say any other past model has over the past 4 to 5 years. I can't even tell you how many people have asked me in the past few months where they can find one. Also with LC200N gaining popularity so fast it would be a great model to use that blade steel on.

Yeah you're right I would definitely use a lanyard if I got anywhere near the water with any of my Spyders.