H1 Spyderhawks

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VashHash

Re: H1 Spyderhawks

Post by VashHash »

captnvegtble wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:08 pm
I got my Spyderhawk yesterday. I've owned a Tasman in the past, but never a Spyderhawk... all I have to say is wow! What a knife; I love it!
Sometimes bigger is truly better.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I got mine today...does anyone else have some "interesting grind lines" on theirs? Mine looks like it had some screw ups that someone tried to fix on a belt sander. It's a bit of a mess to be honest. I think it'll be just fine as a beater but it's a bummer. I hope they're not all like this.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:26 pm
I got mine today...does anyone else have some "interesting grind lines" on theirs? Mine looks like it had some screw ups that someone tried to fix on a belt sander. It's a bit of a mess to be honest. I think it'll be just fine as a beater but it's a bummer. I hope they're not all like this.
No, nothing like that. Can you post a pic?
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

yeah, mine looks pretty sharp. I agree, post a pic.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Mine's shipped. Oh boy oh boy!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Normally I'm of the "it's a tool, don't worry about blemishes" mindset, but this does kinda suck. If I do end up using it then it won't matter, but I'm a little on the fence and I wouldn't even feel right selling this to the next guy so if I don't keep it I'll be returning it or maybe sending it to the mother ship just so they see it.

And I dunno why my pics are embedding so small. Must be something to do with Flickr.

All of the irregular grinds are easily seen in reflections. Here's some random scratches/buff marks in the middle of the hollow grind.

Some random diagonal scratches by the H1 logo.

On both sides of the blade you can see where it was either buffed or sanded again at some point. If you look at the tang behind the thumb hole the grind lines are different on both sides. This had to happen before the lettering/H1 logo/serrations were ground in.

Some random scratch on the back side

Some pretty nasty looking burrs left on the serrations

Overall, nothing that will make the knife unusable, but if I were a collector this would not be the best specimen for future resale value. H1 does scratch really easy so the scratches that are there will blend right in with what happens the first time I cut anything, and the burrs in the edge will definitely sharpen out. It's really surprising because just a month ago I bought a DLC Salt 2 and F&F was absolutely perfect in every way, and I was reminded of that thread we had a while back about Japanese Spyderco F&F being sub par. It does seem to be hit and miss at times.
~David
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Yeah that is disappointing.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:20 pm
On both sides of the blade you can see where it was either buffed or sanded again at some point. If you look at the tang behind the thumb hole the grind lines are different on both sides. This had to happen before the lettering/H1 logo/serrations were ground in.
Mine had this as well David, but it is really a non issue for me. I'm not excusing the imperfections, but I am not upset about them for a sprint at a $100 price-point.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

That is extremely strange that Spyderco's "quality control" would let something like that out of the factory. It's like EVIL said that if you are going to actually use the blade it's not even an issue at all. But a lot of guys and gals buy these Sprint Runs as collector pieces for the long haul and it would be near impossible for something like that to ever accrue any significant collector value over time :(

Really I think you should send that one back to the Great Spyder Factory just so they are aware of this obvious quality control problem. I know if mine comes shipped like that I will send it back to them ASAP. I already have an SE, H-1 unit I already own as a "user" and it even looks better than the one you just showed to us :(

I'm sure they would replace it without any problems at all. But it would even be difficult to do a trade with that one in the distant future.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:51 am
That is extremely strange that Spyderco's "quality control" would let something like that out of the factory. It's like EVIL said that if you are going to actually use the blade it's not even an issue at all. But a lot of guys and gals buy these Sprint Runs as collector pieces for the long haul and it would be near impossible for something like that to ever accrue any significant collector value over time :(

Really I think you should send that one back to the Great Spyder Factory just so they are aware of this obvious quality control problem. I know if mine comes shipped like that I will send it back to them ASAP. I already have an SE, H-1 unit I already own as a "user" and it even looks better than the one you just showed to us :(

I'm sure they would replace it without any problems at all. But it would even be difficult to do a trade with that one in the distant future.

If this were any run of the mill knife I would already have it in the mail. The question is, how much am I willing to live with to have a knife that I otherwise couldn't own without paying secondary prices? On one hand if this sprint never happened, buying an already scratched up used Spyderhawk for $100 may have been considered a bargain. On the other hand I do believe there needs to be some feedback and QC needs to see it. I would just hate to mail it in and find out there won't be a replacement and then I'm left with nothing.
~David
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Do you think they are that scarce already? I was thinking we would have a little more time to get one.

I suppose if it can't be replaced, you could ask for yours to be sent back.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

cabfrank wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:02 pm
Do you think they are that scarce already? I was thinking we would have a little more time to get one.

I suppose if it can't be replaced, you could ask for yours to be sent back.

Good question. I may see about ordering another one before I send this one back.
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Still available at the usual supects. BHQ, KC, KP, SMKW, ect. I really hope it sells out so we can get more hawkbill sprints, but also hoping I'll be able to pick one up down the road. Looks like you have a little time cabfrank.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Mine is on its way!
"No matter where you go, there you are"
W7H2O

Post by W7H2O »

Man, after reading this I had to look at my 2. No burrs, it has some cross buff/grind lines that are symetrical. That does not bother me. I just dismissed it as the manufacturing process. I ordered my 3rd one today.

The knife is sweet, I'm lovin it.
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

Checked my two. One seems A-OK, the other has subtle grind/finish marks similar to those above, but verrry mild. Not enough to give it a second thought.

Interestingly, the second one has super-polished *perfect* serrations. Among the best I've ever seen.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:26 pm
I got mine yesterday and there are no issues with it. You are totally right about the one that you received. I'm a little surprised that no one from the Spyderco team has reached out to address your concerns. :confused:
"No matter where you go, there you are"
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

They will. Better a delayed but well considered response than a form reply. Also, D’s post doesn’t set off alarms at HQ, it might take some time for it to come to their attention in the first place. This forum has some advantages over contacting them directly, but the sheer amount of info/questions/requests on it make is a slower channel of communication. The nice thing is, he’s not left hanging, he’s gotten some feedback on a small sample size of other experiences (and Spyderco now has some additional data as well).
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Could someone please post a picture for size comparison between the Spyderhawk and Tasman HB or Dragonfly HB? :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

To be fair I haven't contacted them yet and that's really the best way to go about it. I didn't want to seem like I was *****ing about it, I was really only seeing how common those issues were. If they're all like this then so be it, if I got a lemon then I'll see what Spyderco prefer I do with it (send it to them or back to GP).
~David